Author Topic: The anecdote in diet  (Read 2611 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: The anecdote in diet
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2018, 11:39:07 PM »

Just eat it at 1300, job done.

Mind you, when cycling in Italy, breakfast at the hotels is too good to pass up...  they know breakfast.

That doesn’t look like enough for one meal a day.  I’m on day 4 of my experiment to see if it’s possible to exist on just one meal a day at 5:30 to 6:00 pm.  Despite not feeling hungry, I find I can’t eat enough to maintain my body weight.  I’ve lost over 1 kg in the 4 days (some of that would be water, since I’m not eating enough to maintain glycogen stores).  I think I’ll be abandoning the trial before the end of the two weeks I was planning.  I can’t really afford to lose weight.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
My second step-father had an extremely active job. He was a large man and all muscle as shown by the fact that he had negative buoyancy. He ate one big meal a day at around 10:00 p.m. every day. He was extremely strong and healthy until he changed jobs to one that was mostly sedentary, but didn’t change his eating habits.

I could easily eat enough in one meal to gain weight. It is a constant struggle for me to avoid this.

So, yes, it’s posible to eat enough in one meal. That does not necessarily mean it’s a good idea for everyone to do this. My advice: you’ve found something that works for you: stick with it.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
(click to show/hide)

That doesn’t look like enough for one meal a day. 

It isn't.  Tea and pudding is a bigger meal, still mostly from the property.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
(click to show/hide)

To the US forum members 'Tea and pudding' would be a beverage containing tea and a milk based dessert.

For some people on this side of the pacific, Tea can be the evening meal (usually called dinner) (Mostly a country thing here. We also call lunch dinner just to confuse the city folk  ;) )
Pudding can be any dessert. sweet, savoury, fruit etc

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)

To the US forum members 'Tea and pudding' would be a beverage containing tea and a milk based dessert.

For some people on this side of the pacific, Tea can be the evening meal (usually called dinner) (Mostly a country thing here. We also call lunch dinner just to confuse the city folk  ;) )
Same for much of the UK.
Not so for Ireland.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2018, 07:01:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Same for much of the UK.
Not so for Ireland.

Another word I haven’t come across for quite a while is ‘supper.’  From memory it seemed to have been used in different ways, either as a synonym for ‘dinner’ or as an additional evening meal in addition to dinner.

If someone asked me to come for ‘tea,’ I’d certainly ask for coffee instead.

There are advantages to eating just one or two meals, without snacks.  I just have ‘brinner.’  It’s too late in the day to be ‘brunch.’  And too early to be ‘dinner.’

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »
Remember, NZ may be two hours ahead, but we're still ten years behind. In my district, it's still 'ladies a plate' for supper.

Mind you, Kiwis are sending satellites into orbit, unlike our Aussie mates.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2018, 11:08:45 PM »
Remember, NZ may be two hours ahead, but we're still ten years behind. In my district, it's still 'ladies a plate' for supper.

Mind you, Kiwis are sending satellites into orbit, unlike our Aussie mates.

Yes, but we’re much better in obfuscation.  We’ve got politicians who insist that we’ll be able to meet our Paris pledge of reducing 2005 CO2 emissions by 26-28% in 2030 in a canter by quietly change it to CO2 emissions from electricity generation, and lowering the target to 26%.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Same for much of the UK.
Not so for Ireland.

Another word I haven’t come across for quite a while is ‘supper.’  From memory it seemed to have been used in different ways, either as a synonym for ‘dinner’ or as an additional evening meal in addition to dinner.

If someone asked me to come for ‘tea,’ I’d certainly ask for coffee instead.

There are advantages to eating just one or two meals, without snacks.  I just have ‘brinner.’  It’s too late in the day to be ‘brunch.’  And too early to be ‘dinner.’

In rural North Dakota, where I lived for about 30 years, dinner is eaten at mid-day, lunch is a light meal in mid-afternoon, and supper is the evening meal. With breakfast, that makes four meals a day. Farming is hard work so the additional meal. When I was working on the farm I ate three meals, with dinner being my first meal of the day, and when I was not working on the farm I just ate two meals, a big dinner and a very light early supper. I had a shorter, easier working day than the farmer I worked for and his family, since they were up very early and very late to milk the cows.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »
In rural North Dakota, where I lived for about 30 years, dinner is eaten at mid-day, lunch is a light meal in mid-afternoon, and supper is the evening meal. With breakfast, that makes four meals a day. Farming is hard work so the additional meal. When I was working on the farm I ate three meals, with dinner being my first meal of the day, and when I was not working on the farm I just ate two meals, a big dinner and a very light early supper. I had a shorter, easier working day than the farmer I worked for and his family, since they were up very early and very late to milk the cows.
Same in rural Wisconsin. When I moved here I used n=noon for dinner, and p=pm for supper to aid memory. Otherwise I'd misspeak.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
IIRC, dinner is the main and largest meal of the day whenever it occurs where supper is the evening meal weather it was the main meal or not.  In rural northern California, we did not speak of supper but had lunch and dinner where dinner was the evening meal and typically the largest of the day.

personate-rain
personate-rain