Author Topic: New Facebook Privacy Reveals  (Read 1089 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
New Facebook Privacy Reveals
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
Among other things, Facebook allowed Microsoft to view friends lists that were not public and Netflix and Spotify to read private messages. They also let Amazon obtain your friends’ names and contact information even if that contact information was only shared with friends.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/technology/facebook-privacy.html

I think I’m ready to pull the plug on them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:26:32 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: New Facebook Privacy Reveals
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:27:00 AM »
I am not sure what pulling the plug would help.

Whatever data you added is theirs forever, even if they say they deleted it, they won't.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
At least they won’t get any more from me.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
Another big problem for me is that Facebook also owns Instagram and Whatsapp and they surely use these as well to steal data.

Do I really need to move all my online communications to Signal? :D

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 10:53:41 AM »
I do most of my messaging through Apple Messages or SMS, both of which I trust more than facebook.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
This is why I strongly disagree with those who oppose anonymity online. The only way to stop someone from abusing your personal information is to not give them any.

And even then they can get it from somewhere else, so the rule should be for everyone to always be anonymous as much as possible. Moderators should kick users and delete comments for using a real name, instead of for not using a real name.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »
Facebook is evil. This is just one more bit of evidence.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 06:49:06 PM »
Facebook, of course, denies it, which obviously won't mean anything to the haters.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
Needless to say,

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 05:48:10 AM »
Facebook, of course, denies it, which obviously won't mean anything to the haters.

Why would it mean anything? Facebook has been caught lying again and again and again about its illegal practices.

Also, why are people upset with a blatantly evil, criminal corporation "haters"?

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »
I'm not nearly as upset about this as most people I talk to.  I always assumed anything I put out on Facebook (or any other platform) is fully public.  If I wanted real privacy I would want to use some sort of encrypted channel.

That all being said, I had to reformat my phone a couple of months ago and I still haven't signed in the Facebook app.  I have it on my tablet, but rarely open it.  My family has a group chat on Facebook Messenger where we share memes and make plans (what day are you coming over for dinner etc.etc.).  It's just my the kids, my wife and myself.  Nothing on there is "private" in any meaningful way.  I'd rather use something else, but it's something everyone already has.  The more my older relatives started showing up active on Facebook the less I liked being on Facebook.  There's only so many times I can link to a snopes article telling them they are wrong before I just get sick of opening the damn app.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »

Why would it mean anything? Facebook has been caught lying again and again and again about its illegal practices.

Also, why are people upset with a blatantly evil, criminal corporation "haters"?

The very language you use when you describe Facebook seethes with bitter hatred. Why wouldn't I call you a hater?
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

The very language you use when you describe Facebook seethes with bitter hatred. Why wouldn't I call you a hater?

I cannot speak for Rai, but I hate Facebook. No bones about it. And I believe my hatred is grounded in solid reason based on the way Facebook abuses its users and the creepiness of the whole enterprise. There are other companies I hate as well, but a lot of companies stay within the bounds of capitalist propriety, such as it is.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 01:09:27 AM »

Since when is talking facts "hate"?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:58 AM »

Since when is talking facts "hate"?

You're not talking facts, you're calling it an evil, criminal organisation. The hate just drips from your keyboard.

personate-rain