Author Topic: New Facebook Privacy Reveals  (Read 1090 times)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: New Facebook Privacy Reveals
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 02:19:02 AM »
Facebook, of course, denies it, which obviously won't mean anything to the haters.

Why would it mean anything? Facebook has been caught lying again and again and again about its illegal practices.

Also, why are people upset with a blatantly evil, criminal corporation "haters"?

The very language you use when you describe Facebook seethes with bitter hatred. Why wouldn't I call you a hater?

Since when is talking facts "hate"?

You're not talking facts, you're calling it an evil, criminal organisation. The hate just drips from your keyboard.

How else would you describe an organisation that assisted genocide and the election of fascists, accesses and sells private data withour consent (even that of non-users), actively spreads antisemitic conspiracy theories and has weaponised its illegal surveillance of internet users against rival companies?

They are plainly both evil and criminal.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 09:25:35 AM »
They are definitely lying liars who are not to be trusted, I'm going to stay on the platform for the convenience of communication with a few folks I like to reach out to on occasion.  I simply just don't put anything on it that I wouldn't mind the world knowing.  Treated it like the public forum it is. 

As for evil, not really.  If Rai is reference the Trump election as the fascist they assisted in getting elected.  Its highly questionable as to what impact face book and Russian trolls really had.  The mainstream media that gave Trump an unending stream of free advertising is far more to blame. 

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »
Its all well and good to think you didnt put anything compromising on facebook so you are all good, but you also need to make sure you dont do so on any platform they own or may buy.
There are examples of sex workers real names and profiles being shared with clients despite them having used a burner phone and fake name for business, so there is a lot going on at the back end (as has been pointed out in the targetted advertising thread) where facebook uses off platform data to find out who you are spending time with etc and that information doesnt matter until it does. And when it does, its too late.
So I think we should be severely curtailing the freedom of these companies, forcing transparency about their methods (imagine a drug manufacturer that refused to disclose how it makes our meds) and generally making their lives less convenient to ensure that tech is actually working to make our lives better. At the moment, they are beholden only to profit and have shown a willingness to deceive when it suits them.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »
The problem is that there is no profit motive for Facebook outside of selling you as a customer.  The fix for that doesn't exist since nobody is going to flock to a social media platform they have to pay for and ads aren't enough revenue to run such a product.

That's the way it's been since it was founded.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »
As for evil, not really.  If Rai is reference the Trump election as the fascist they assisted in getting elected.  Its highly questionable as to what impact face book and Russian trolls really had.  The mainstream media that gave Trump an unending stream of free advertising is far more to blame.

I am referencing to them allowing fake news campaigns, especially over Facebook and Whatsapp that aided Trump, Bolsonaro, Brexit, Salvini and the rest.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
I think my point stands regarding Trumps election.  I don't know enough about the rest to comment.  I'm somewhat ambivalent regarding their responsibility in that regard.  I'm not entirely certain I want facebook being a gate keeper of information.  On the other hand, the platform does allow the spreading of malicious misinformation in a way that hasn't been seen before.  I also don't trust the government to be gatekeeper. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't trust them, I think we should have some laws on the books regarding our data belonging to us not our service providers.

@harry,

I'd like to see the write regarding Facebook giving access to a prostitutes information despite fake names and burner phones.  The pharmaceutical comparison is dubious considering that we can just walk away from facebook.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
About the sex workers, my guess is that it could come up via whatever algorithm they use to come up with Recommended Friends, since you've just spent some time in the same room together.

I recently figured out who the random stranger at the top of my Recommended Friends list is - it's the receptionist at the business on the other side of my office wall.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
Makes we wonder, I don't seem to get that sort of recommendations, of course, I don't have face book on my phone, that would be crazy. 

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »
Haha I only have my phone and my work computer.  I don't log in to Facebook on my work computer, that would be crazy (for non-privacy reasons - for productivity reasons)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »
Facebook, of course, denies it, which obviously won't mean anything to the haters.

Why would it mean anything? Facebook has been caught lying again and again and again about its illegal practices.

Also, why are people upset with a blatantly evil, criminal corporation "haters"?

The very language you use when you describe Facebook seethes with bitter hatred. Why wouldn't I call you a hater?

You're not talking facts, you're calling it an evil, criminal organisation. The hate just drips from your keyboard.

How else would you describe an organisation that assisted genocide and the election of fascists, accesses and sells private data withour consent (even that of non-users), actively spreads antisemitic conspiracy theories and has weaponised its illegal surveillance of internet users against rival companies?

Okay. You are free to engage in whatever hyperbole you feel is necessary to maintain your hate.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »

Okay. You are free to engage in whatever hyperbole you feel is necessary to maintain your hate.

Ok, so things Facebook actually did are now hyperbole. Weirdly defensive much?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 05:27:12 PM »

Maintain the rage, Rai, maintain the rage.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
Bill Gates can see all the cat videos I’ve ever watched. I feel so violated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 02:11:45 AM »

Maintain the rage, Rai, maintain the rage.

Oh so you are just trolling now.

Cool.

personate-rain
personate-rain