Author Topic: Scandal at German magazine "Der Spiegel"  (Read 639 times)

Offline MasterFrame

• Brand New
Scandal at German magazine "Der Spiegel"
« on: December 20, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/claas-relotius-reporter-forgery-scandal-a-1244755.html

I don't know if you have heard about this. Der Spiegel is one of the most popular, independent weekly news magazines. In this era of fake news, me being German living abroad, it has always been one of my must trusted news resources from my home country.
This reporter, that must have faked information in dozens of articles, was rewarded with several prizes in the past. It is quite shocking to me, that this can happen in such a renowned magazine. It just confirms to me the importance of training ourselves in critical and skeptical thinking, and the SGU podcast and book are excellent for that purpose. But if this guy was able to fool everybody for years, even the best training in skepticism is no guarantee that we won't be fooled now and then.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Scandal at German magazine "Der Spiegel"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 03:40:09 PM »
According to the linked article, the guy produced “beautifully narrated fiction.” I’d think that a talented fiction writer could do better writing avowed fiction than fake news. But what do I know? Just shows the need for constant vigilance and for editors to check facts.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline MasterFrame

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately. if you send the reporter to a place and rely on their "exclusive" information, you have to trust them to a certain degree.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
So the lesson is, no matter how much you trust your reporter, don’t publish without independent confirmation. I suspect that Der Spiegel has now learned that lesson and won’t make the same mistake again soon.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline MasterFrame

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:44:08 PM »
I surely hope so. We can never be 100% certain, but they have to start minimizing that risk. Meanwhile, awareness in people needs to be raised. We can all do our bit. Share SGU and similar podcasts through social media, give the SGU book and other skeptic books as presents, and whatever little bit helps.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »
Is this, like, not the first time Der Spiegel has been caught doing this? Or am I remembering something else?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
Is this, like, not the first time Der Spiegel has been caught doing this? Or am I remembering something else?

You might be thinking of NY Times reporter Jayson Blair.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »

No, don't think so.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »

No, don't think so.

FWIW, the investigation into Jayson Blair was known as "The Siegal Committee", which sounds rather like Spiegel.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »

No, don't think so.

FWIW, the investigation into Jayson Blair was known as "The Siegal Committee", which sounds rather like Spiegel.

No. It may be a false memory but what I'm remembering is definitely European, and I do remember it as Der Spiegel. It's not a simple homophonic confusion.

But nothing seems to be mentioned on the wikipedia page so I assume I'm remembering something wrongly. But not what you said, which isn't something I recognise at all.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 08:15:50 PM »

No, don't think so.

No. It may be a false memory but what I'm remembering is definitely European, and I do remember it as Der Spiegel. It's not a simple homophonic confusion.

But nothing seems to be mentioned on the wikipedia page so I assume I'm remembering something wrongly. But not what you said, which isn't something I recognise at all.
Maybe the Hitler diaries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline MasterFrame

• Brand New
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
I don't recall Der Spiegel being caught in something of this caliber. Maybe it's a good thing, this can be an eye-opening experience for them. Hopefully something good comes out of it. It also reminded me of the NY Times case. It can happen even to the best...

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »
Maybe the Hitler diaries?

Ooops, that was Stern, a different German publication.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain