Author Topic: Episode #702  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #702
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
Live from London; SGU Guide to Americanisms; Which Movies Need Sequels; Air Dryers vs Paper Towels; Classic Pseudoscience: ESP, Piltdown Man, Loch Ness Monster, UFOs; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Episode #702
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »
Sir Richard Burton (not the actor) mentioned on the show for coining a term in ESP mythology, made the definitive translation of the One Thousand Nights and a Night. A.k.a. The Thousand and One Arabian Nights. At one time I owned a facsimile of the original edition. It was some ten or twelve hardcover volumes, and I read it cover to cover. Sir Richard made the pilgrimage to Mecca, for which I think he’d have been executed if it had been discovered that he was not actually a Muslim. The books are wonderful, BTW. They are now available on Kindle and probably elsewhere. The opening and the premise, however, are horribly misogynistic.

The reason nobody’s discovered Nessie is that she has ESP so she knows where people are looking and avoids them. [/joking].

Seriously, though, since you can’t argue with believers in the paranormal, my response to them is that it’s not UFOs, it’s Nessie messing with your brains by her ESP. Aliens didn’t build the pyramids, Nessie built them, by telekinesis, from Scotland, without ever leaving her Loch.

When I was in Scotland we took a boat ride across Loch Lomond. I didn’t see any monsters.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Here2

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
What was Bob's movie pick?  I didn't hear the name even after multiple listens.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »
same
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:56:03 PM »

When I was in Scotland we took a boat ride across Loch Lomond. I didn’t see any monsters.
Which road did you take to get there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the high road.

To my shame, I have taken a boat trip on Loch Ness and I didn’t see any monsters.  I also visited the Isle of Skye on the same trip for its incredible scenery.  I didn’t see any of it, because the heavy continuous rain was being driven horizontally by the strong winds instead of falling vertically.  I think I made the mistake of visiting the Isle of Skye in July, instead of in Summer, on August 15.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:20:27 AM »

Yeah, when Bob said the title (at 7:50 in premium) he sounded like he was just talking about the genre, but it is actually named The Cabin in the Woods. Even though it's been spoiled to death online I'd still like to get some friends together and see it sometime, if just to enjoy the deconstruction of it all.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 09:07:27 AM »

I have no idea. It was a walking trip with an outfitter called Mountain Travel Sobek. We hiked most of the West Highland Way, skipping the parts that just followed a major highway, and on the last day we climbed Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the U.K. at 4,400 feet above sea level. The parking lot is at 150 feet, so the hike gained 4,250 feet. I’m pretty sure we crossed the loch just because that was the way to get where we were going.

It rained the whole time and we were sopping wet, except for the last day, when we had the rare pleasure of clear conditions on the mountain. About 15 or 20 minutes after we left the summit it clouded up again.

This would have been some ten or fifteen years ago.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »

Yeah, when Bob said the title (at 7:50 in premium) he sounded like he was just talking about the genre, but it is actually named The Cabin in the Woods. Even though it's been spoiled to death online I'd still like to get some friends together and see it sometime, if just to enjoy the deconstruction of it all.

That was a very good movie. At first I had it confused with Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, which is (IMO) a better movie. But they have nothing in common except for happening at a cabin in the woods.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Here2

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 02:25:16 PM »

Thanks.  I haven't seen it.  Sounds like it's worth a watch.

Offline postwaste

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »
The discussion on the best hand drying techniques omitted another possibility. Cloth towels. There are cloth towels dispensers that are on a loop. No paper waste, no dirty air drying. You don't see them very much anymore, I suppose they're too expensive?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
The discussion on the best hand drying techniques omitted another possibility. Cloth towels. There are cloth towels dispensers that are on a loop. No paper waste, no dirty air drying. You don't see them very much anymore, I suppose they're too expensive?

Not to mention, very unhygienic.

I hated those. You didn't know how long since they were last washed.  or What germs and diseases the people before you had spread all over them.  ???

Give me hot air or paper towels over that.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »
Germs are like sharks or grizzly bears: people are far more afraid of them than is reasonable. Germs are everywhere and some of them can kill you, but the vast majority won’t hurt you. You can’t kill them all, and if you could kill them all (in the case of germs, maybe not bears or sharks) doing so would probably kill you. It is important to exercise reasonable caution, and some people, such as doctors who deal with sick people a lot, or naturalists living among populations of bears or sharks, need to be very aware and respectful, but most of us just don’t have to be as obsessive about them as many of us are. Your kitchen counter-top is probably just as germ-infested as your toilet seat, and money has more germs on it than the faucets of a third-world public restroom. Wash your hands but don’t let the fear of germs rule your life. Most of them are your friends.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 10:20:42 AM »

Quite the process behind the scenes,

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »
So they wash them first, and then do all the other stuff?

personate-rain