Author Topic: 50th Anniversary of Man going to the moon.  (Read 688 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
50th Anniversary of Man going to the moon.
« on: December 24, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »
Today (US time) is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 8 (with crew Frank Borman, James Lovell, and William Anders) reaching the moon. The first manned mission to the moon.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo-8.html

It is also the 50th anniversary of, arguably, the most famous photo ever taken.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:35:30 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: 50th Anniversary of Man going to the moon.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
Today (US time) is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 8 (with crew Frank Borman, James Lovell, and William Anders) reaching the moon. The first manned mission to the moon.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo-8.html

It is also the 50th anniversary of, arguably, the most famous photo ever taken.

I thought about this this morning when I was walking the dog, looking at the beautiful waning full moon in the western sky, thinking that it must be 50 years since the Apollo 8 mission, which was an incredible mission for the time.

The book ‘Rocket Men’ recounting the mission is strongly recommended.  I wish they’d celebrated Apollo 8 instead of Apollo 11 in ‘First Man,’ which I hated as being too long and boring (although it did get good critical reviews).  As an aside, the Australian novel ‘Jasper Jones’ featured the Apollo 8 mission in its plot (the film version though was a disaster moving the time frame and the location from a disguised coal mining town of Collie to a timber town of Permberton.  It had the feel of a film made in the ‘60s).

I became an environmentalist when I saw this photo.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
And no human has been back since this time.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
China or SpaceX will likely change that soon, and in a sustainable way with a base and everything. Too bad it's been so long, but I'm glad the species is getting closer to popping off the rock again.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
The Man Who Sold The Moon forgot to keep the receipt.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »

In 1968, '69 I remember thinking that by time I was really old - say 30 or so -, I would undoubtedly be vacationing on the Moon, or maybe even Mars.

I mourn the loss of that optimism about the future we all shared back then, as well as the complete lack of vision we have nowadays. Sigh...

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »
I was in boot camp when we first landed on the Moon. They let us stay up late to watch that crap video. Getting a good shoe shine seemed more important then.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I happen to be at the Kennedy Space center today, and this was a nice tidbit to pass along to the kids while they tour the Apollo missions.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »

In 1968, '69 I remember thinking that by time I was really old - say 30 or so -, I would undoubtedly be vacationing on the Moon, or maybe even Mars.

I mourn the loss of that optimism about the future we all shared back then, as well as the complete lack of vision we have nowadays. Sigh...

In 1975 there was a TV show called Space:1999 about a base on the moon. In 1975 it was believable that we could have a full time manned presence on the moon in 24 years.  In 2018 we have no infrastructure for even landing another man on the moon within a decade, and in fact have to pay another country--our one time space race rival no less!--to ferry us up to low Earth orbit. A few years ago there was talk of rebooting Space: 1999 with the new title Space:2099, implying that now it would take us almost a hundred years to have that presence on Luna. 

I thought when I was a kid in the seventies I would live to see at least the first manned landing on Mars. I'm now 56 and realize it won't happen in my lifetime.

The dream is dead.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
An amusing/depressing story I'm pretty sure I posted about somewhere before:

A few years ago I was talking with a young co-worker on an anniversary of Apollo 11 and the first actual moon landing. It might have been on the 40th anniversary in 2009 but I don't think it was that long ago. Anyway, she was born in the mid-seventies and in the course of the conversation I lamented how sad it was no one had walked on the moon during the entire time of her lifespan. She stopped what she doing, put her hand on her hip, looked me in the eye and earnestly asked "If the space shuttles don't go to the moon, then where do they go?!?!?!"

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
The moment the ultra-wealthy believe that there's profit to be made, returning to the moon will become a national imperative the likes of which we have never seen. Grassroots organizations (or actually astroturfing, appropriately enough) will pop up everywhere and we'll all be made to feel that any sacrifice is worth it, for a whole host of reasons to convince just about anyone.

Maybe instead of relying on arguments of science or ideals of exploration, all the pro-crewed flight people need to do is hire the current incarnation of Edward Bernays to sell the idea.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
An amusing/depressing story I'm pretty sure I posted about somewhere before:

A few years ago I was talking with a young co-worker on an anniversary of Apollo 11 and the first actual moon landing. It might have been on the 40th anniversary in 2009 but I don't think it was that long ago. Anyway, she was born in the mid-seventies and in the course of the conversation I lamented how sad it was no one had walked on the moon during the entire time of her lifespan. She stopped what she doing, put her hand on her hip, looked me in the eye and earnestly asked "If the space shuttles don't go to the moon, then where do they go?!?!?!"

There is absolutely no hope for the human race.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
China or SpaceX will likely change that soon, and in a sustainable way with a base and everything. Too bad it's been so long, but I'm glad the species is getting closer to popping off the rock again.

I think it’s 20-30 yrs away minimum.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
"We are going to go to the moon and make the mexicans pay for it!"
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »
"We are going to go to the moon and make the mexicans pay for it!"
CLEP appears to be making its targets.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain