Author Topic: Astronaut Resistance Training  (Read 236 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Astronaut Resistance Training
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »
I don't know much about space so I dont know if this is legit or not. Should make an interesting conversation either way!

This seems to be a pretty comprehensive system. I imagine it or some other way of trying to retain muscle mass and strong cardiovascular function away from Earths gravity must be very important.

Is this a system that is in use?

Any videos of other systems?

Why does the bracing surface need to move with each rep? Surely this steals some of the workload from the astronaut?

Why was a bar and some springs with a solid bracing surface not used?

I am 99.99% sure 99.99% of you know the answers so please share!

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Astronaut Resistance Training
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
It looks legit to me. I’m confident it is real. As to why they designed it this way and not some other way, I have no idea, but I’m sure a lot of research and testing was involved. The astronauts do cardio training also.

And even with all the cardio and resistance training, astronauts lose a lot of bone and muscle mass, so much so that when they return to Earth after an extended period in space, they can neither walk nor stand. Microgravity is absolute hell on the human body. Just one more reason I’m planning on remaining on the planet.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
I've seen the Bungee Banditos in videos. Fun to watch while sipping a beer.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:41:52 PM »
It looks legit to me. I’m confident it is real. As to why they designed it this way and not some other way, I have no idea, but I’m sure a lot of research and testing was involved. The astronauts do cardio training also.

And even with all the cardio and resistance training, astronauts lose a lot of bone and muscle mass, so much so that when they return to Earth after an extended period in space, they can neither walk nor stand. Microgravity is absolute hell on the human body. Just one more reason I’m planning on remaining on the planet.
Oh Im sure the research dictated this approach to a seemingly simpler one!
Im just hoping to learn why. Especially why they arent bracing against an immobile surface!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 06:00:34 PM »
Physical therapist have given me no end of bungee-related exercise gear.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/1001.html

The Advanced Resistive Exercise Device (ARED) uses adjustable resistance piston-driven vacuum cylinders along with a flywheel to system to provide loading for crew members to experience load and maintain muscle strength and mass during long periods in space.

I saw a video about the design of this thing a while ago. It uses vacuum instead of elastics to better simulate resistance due to gravity. I'm not sure why it is built to move about.

ETA it also uses a flywheel system. Interesting read.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 11:00:00 AM »

Oh Im sure the research dictated this approach to a seemingly simpler one!
Im just hoping to learn why. Especially why they arent bracing against an immobile surface!

I’m just guessing that it really doesn’t matter whether one surface remains immobile or not. What matters is the amount of resistance, which I’m sure can be adjusted for the strength of the individual.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
It seems that the exercise done in zero gravity only slows the deterioration of the body, not a real fix.  Could be trouble on a trip to Mars.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
It seems that the exercise done in zero gravity only slows the deterioration of the body, not a real fix.  Could be trouble on a trip to Mars.

This is absolutely true. Astronauts do rigorous exercise, both cardio and resistance, while in space, and still, after lengthy stays in space, they have lost significant bone mass and they have to be carried out of the re-entry vehicle on stretchers. Then they have lengthy periods of physical therapy to be able to handle life on Earth again. I think I’ve read that they never really recover entirely, but I’m unsure about that part.

Problem is going to be, when they get to Mars, there won’t be anybody to carry them out of the lander and into the habitat that presumably will have been built ahead of time by robots, because they sure won’t be in any shape to build anything when they get there. (Just one more inaccuracy of The Martian.) I guess the robots will carry them. And then do all the work they’ll be too weak to do.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
Astronaut Resistance Training
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 11:11:08 PM »
Nevermind
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.