Author Topic: Episode #704  (Read 739 times)

Offline cmesserman

• Off to a Start
    • http://cmflyer.home.bresnan.net
Re: Episode #704
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:12:10 PM by cmesserman »
messerman
Missoula, Montana, USA

Offline cmesserman

• Off to a Start
    • http://cmflyer.home.bresnan.net
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:10:33 PM by cmesserman »
messerman
Missoula, Montana, USA

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
Regarding magic acts and paranormal beliefs, I once showed one of David Blaines Street Magic shows to my freshman science class. My goal was to increase critical thinking by discussing or revealing how I thought the tricks were done. I remember that some of my students became a bit combative and upset that I was explaining the tricks. It seemed like I was telling them Santa doesn't exist! I came to realize over the rest of the year that these particular students were Fundamentalist or Evangelical Christians. I concluded that they had a proclivity to believing in "magic," and I inadvertently was grinding against their belief system. Of course, my science teaching was probably doing the same thing!
Craig

This surprises me. I’d have thought that fundies would reject magic as being contrary to God’s monopoly.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »
Regarding magic acts and paranormal beliefs, I once showed one of David Blaines Street Magic shows to my freshman science class. My goal was to increase critical thinking by discussing or revealing how I thought the tricks were done. I remember that some of my students became a bit combative and upset that I was explaining the tricks. It seemed like I was telling them Santa doesn't exist! I came to realize over the rest of the year that these particular students were Fundamentalist or Evangelical Christians. I concluded that they had a proclivity to believing in "magic," and I inadvertently was grinding against their belief system. Of course, my science teaching was probably doing the same thing!
Craig
I have my doubts, I suspect there was an element of confirmation bias there.  Survey's have generally shown that xtians tend to believe other nonsense less than non believers.  Aside from that, who thinks David Blaine can actually levitate 2" off the ground.  More like those that reacted badly to the explanation of the tricks just liked the mystery of it.  There are 3 ways to enjoy a magic show.  A.  Just go with it and enjoy the mystery.  B.  Watch closely do try and figure it out.  C.  Truly believe its magic.  Having some college proffesors explain it to to you, that ruins all three. 

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 05:19:31 AM »
Bob said AlphaGo does not use machine learning, but this is incorrect. AlphaGo is not a rule based brute force search algorithm and does feature machine learning. Specifically, it was trained using deep reinforcement learning by both learning from human games and by playing games against itself. In reinforcement learning, each game has a certain payoff or reward or punishment, and your neural network (or search tree) is trained by observing or participating in the game, observing the payoff, and then adjusting the weights of the network in such a way as to maximize future expected rewards (or, equivalently, minimize punishment). It's successors, AlphaGo Zero and AlphaZero are also based on reinforcement learning, but they do not use human games. AlphaZero is a more general purpose algorithm that can learn not just go, but also chess and shogi.

EDIT: Just noticed that the next episode has a correction for AlphaGo. You caught me, I'm running behind a bit. }|:op
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:30:47 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

personate-rain