Author Topic: The morality of Thanos  (Read 6079 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
The morality of Thanos
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
Just to add one more thing to the aims of villains: I've never understood why anyone would want to rule the whole bloody world. Really? Really? You want to try and manage all the planet's problems and squabbles? You want to try and run the Middle East?!?!?  Good luck with that, mate. I can't see the perks as being worth all the trouble, time, and effort.
They often think they can fix it.
It  makes for compelling villains imo. Very few want to destroy the world for no reason.
Thanos was thinking big.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: The morality of Thanos
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
Just to add one more thing to the aims of villains: I've never understood why anyone would want to rule the whole bloody world. Really? Really? You want to try and manage all the planet's problems and squabbles? You want to try and run the Middle East?!?!?  Good luck with that, mate. I can't see the perks as being worth all the trouble, time, and effort.
It  makes for compelling villains imo. Very few want to destroy the world for no reason.
Thanos was thinking big.

Thanos
(click to show/hide)
There’s a deep moral there. I’m just not sure what it is.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:27:28 PM »
Thanos
(click to show/hide)

The moral is
(click to show/hide)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 01:30:26 AM »
Thanos was thinking big.

Thanos
(click to show/hide)
That one can obsess?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanos was thinking big.

Thanos
(click to show/hide)
As with todays real life modern villains, I just assumed that Thanos was another person convinced of his own solution to perceived problems, but that he is just ultimately wrong and fucks up the universe for no good objective reason despite his intentions.
So the impetus for the heroes is not only because what the villain is doing is wrong, but that it wont even achieve its stated goal.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
And it's not a fix, it just pushes the tip-over point back a few decades at best.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
Thanos was thinking big.

No.  Thanks clearly does not understand exponential growth.  Therefore he did not think nearly big enough.

Couple that if you halve the population of a particular species, and thier food supply, and thier habatat, he -at the same time he did nothing to destructively dominant species - committed genocidenon the most vulnrable.  Thanos is an idiot.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:15:09 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
And it's not a fix, it just pushes the tip-over point back a few decades at best.

So, you repeat once every 40 or 50 years.

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 03:40:40 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Are you actually arguing for this? There were many more sentient species other than "Human" destroyed by T. In fact Humans were a very small portion of those killed.

Thanos became all powerful and chose to destroy. He could have created more planets, more life, more food, more space.  I'm pretty sure he spared all of his own minions and himself to live in this new "paradise".

In the original story he did it to impress a girl.  >:D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:59:25 PM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »
Thanos was thinking big.

No.  Thanks clearly does not understand exponential growth.  Therefore he did not think nearly big enough.

Couple that if you halve the population of a particular species, and thier food supply, and thier habatat, he -at the same time he did nothing to destructively dominant species - committed genocidenon the most vulnrable.  Thanos is an idiot.
You missed the post directly above your that I posted an hour earlier.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
No, I saw it.  I just hate that Thanos doesn't have an inkling about probability, ecology, resource management, biology, etc.  Yet he felt OK with making that decision.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »
No, I saw it.  I just hate that Thanos doesn't have an inkling about probability, ecology, resource management, biology, etc.  Yet he felt OK with making that decision.
He's not exactly a secret Green.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 11:13:04 PM »

(click to show/hide)

I haven't watched it again, but I have a strong impression that Thanos intimated that he would teach life to live within its means, one way or another.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 05:37:47 AM »

(click to show/hide)

I haven't watched it again, but I have a strong impression that Thanos intimated that he would teach life to live within its means, one way or another.
Yeah, that would happen.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 06:18:28 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, that would happen.

Life in general mostly does this already through predation, parasites, disease, injury, and so on. Intelligent life OTOH can step outside these natural selection pressures and overrun the planetary resources in a manner analagous to a disease or parasite overruning its host. If Thanos set up a kill condition for intelligent life that dusted half the population of a planet whenever that population exceeded [criteria] I'm pretty that new selection pressure would be quite effective.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain