Author Topic: Episode 705  (Read 3903 times)

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Episode 705
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
Not been all the way through this thread, but Karen noted and I agreed that in the segment on the decline in Monarch butterfly populations, it seemed the rogues went out of their way not to mention the word “pesticides”, maybe couching it in overall “farming practices”. While I agree that we should not automatically jump to pesticides as the cause of the decline, it seems reasonable to put it fairly high on the list of possible causes. Does it not?

My understanding is that pesticides are not as much of an issue as the herbicides that have killed off so many milkweed plants. It would not surprise me if an insecticide effected them as well though.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode 705
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »
Not been all the way through this thread, but Karen noted and I agreed that in the segment on the decline in Monarch butterfly populations, it seemed the rogues went out of their way not to mention the word “pesticides”, maybe couching it in overall “farming practices”. While I agree that we should not automatically jump to pesticides as the cause of the decline, it seems reasonable to put it fairly high on the list of possible causes. Does it not?

My understanding is that pesticides are not as much of an issue as the herbicides that have killed off so many milkweed plants. It would not surprise me if an insecticide effected them as well though.

It's probably both. And drought.

The issue with milkweed is that in order to migrate they must have a route where there is enough milkweed across a sufficiently wide corridor that they can always find some. For a weed milkweed is fairly fragile, and really doesn't interfere with crops the way other weeds do.  The problem is that the pesticides are carried by wind and pollinators to milkweed stands and they get wiped out.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain