Author Topic: Ep. 706 - Know the least but think they know the most...  (Read 376 times)

Offline 3vi1

• Brand New
Ep. 706 - Know the least but think they know the most...
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »
Talks about studies like this aren't my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed the discussion on objective knowledge vs. the self-perception of knowledge in people strongly opposed to specific sciences.  This is something I've first-hand observed many times with family, while correcting the misinformation pushed on them from religious peers about what evolutionary theory actually states when compared to the "everyone came from monkeys" version they think they know.

Keep up the great work.  Until now, I thought Dunning-Kruger was when people thought they knew a lot about a subject, but still got killed in their dreams.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
Re: Ep. 706 - Know the least but think they know the most...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:20:20 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forums!  :) Where can I find this discussion you're referring to?
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline 3vi1

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 05:22:24 PM »
Episode 706, about 27:30 into the episode.

Thanks for the welcome.  Long-time listener, very-seldom-visitor to these forums.  :)

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:03:38 PM »
Talks about studies like this aren't my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed the discussion on objective knowledge vs. the self-perception of knowledge in people strongly opposed to specific sciences.  This is something I've first-hand observed many times with family, while correcting the misinformation pushed on them from religious peers about what evolutionary theory actually states when compared to the "everyone came from monkeys" version they think they know.

Keep up the great work.  Until now, I thought Dunning-Kruger was when people thought they knew a lot about a subject, but still got killed in their dreams.

I think that's the Brian-Freddie effect.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:28:28 AM »

I think that's the Brian-Freddie effect.

What's that?
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:02:54 AM »
Until now, I thought Dunning-Kruger was when people thought they knew a lot about a subject, but still got killed in their dreams.

Nice one  ;D

personate-rain