Author Topic: Are compounding pharmacies legit?  (Read 536 times)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
Are compounding pharmacies legit?
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:12 AM »
Recently, my doctor prescribed me testosterone. The topical gel produced by major pharmaceutical companies is extremely expensive. My doctor suggested I use a compounding pharmacy instead. My questions are:
1) Are compounding pharmacies legitimate? I've read some concerns about that these are under-regulated, and the drugs might not be safe and effective.
2) How is it possible for testosterone sold at compounding pharmacies to be cheaper? Is this likely a different drug entirely?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on these issues! I don't want to mistakenly take a fake alternative treatment.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: Are compounding pharmacies legit?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:21:45 AM »
They are the original pharmacies before factory production.

Some might be woo now, but some would be legitimate. Have a conversation with the pharmacist.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »
My concern with compounding pharmacies would be with quality control; I've heard not only about such pharmacies selling woo but also about concerns about poor control of dosage, ingredients, etc. and inconsistency between batches. I imagine that, as with most services, there are skilled and professional ones and one that are less so.

As far as price, I imagine that much of the difference has to do with the costs of FDA approval, trials, and advertising. The compounding pharmacy makes small batches using FDA-approved ingredients but does not have to conduct trials of their formulations or submit them for FDA review.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:17:00 PM »
Thank you, Tatyana and The Latinist! Your input helps a lot. I love that the SGU forum has so many intelligent and generous people who are willing to offer their insights. I appreciate it!

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 05:54:22 PM »
Thank you, Tatyana and The Latinist! Your input helps a lot. I love that the SGU forum has so many intelligent and generous people who are willing to offer their insights. I appreciate it!

We have had compounding pharmacists produce liquid formulations of pills for various cats of ours over the years, since my girlfriend and I seem genetically incapable of inducing a feline to swallow a pill.  We have numerous compounding pharmacists in the neighborhood, but our veterinarians have warned us that the quality among them varies, and they have steered us to one or two whom they say are more reliable.  So, bottom line, at least in our area, is that quality varies, and it is best to get a recommendation from an MD or a vet.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:56:23 PM by jt512 »
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

personate-rain