Author Topic: music you learned to like  (Read 1171 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: music you learned to like
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 07:06:59 PM »
I like very early Dixieland jazz. I do not like the stuff that sounds like a washing machine with a bad bearing. That old jazz is polyphonic, in some ways a lot like baroque.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »
Back in the 1970s my partner and I would visit a Thai grocery store in Chicago. Occasionally I would pick up some music cassettes. I know almost exactly zero Thai but grew over time to enjoy Thai country music (Luk thung), especially the singer Waiphot Phetsuphan. I don't expect anyone here to warm to this stuff but I can listen to it for hours. This music transports me back to long drives in my Honda Civic singing along (phonetically as best able) the Waiphot song below (and others). I like the phrasing, the sounds not found in English, the unlikely musical backdrop which sure as hell ain't Nashville. A love song and beloved song,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_thung

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »
I like very early Dixieland jazz. I do not like the stuff that sounds like a washing machine with a bad bearing. That old jazz is polyphonic, in some ways a lot like baroque.

Same, I've also grown to really like blue grass. Its way more technical and jamy than I had ever given it credit for.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »

Same, I've also grown to really like blue grass. Its way more technical and jamy than I had ever given it credit for.

The Goat Rodeo sessions is a great album from those guys.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »
When speaking of New Orleans Jazz I prefer Brass bands and 2nd lines over the Dixieland. I didn't like it as a kid, love it now.  Zydeco is pretty cool too (which I think is the "washing machine" music Daniel is referring too, not sure).

I hate it when a restaurant claims to have a New Orleans Jazz band then you show up you find out there are no horns WTF!

Other forms of jazz are fun and I like most of them.

If you want string bands I have to go with the Mummers which is similar to dixieland but I grew up with them as a kid so I have always liked that stuff.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 08:51:43 PM »
.... Zydeco is pretty cool too (which I think is the "washing machine" music Daniel is referring too, not sure).

No. Zydeco isn’t bad at all. I was referring to some modern jazz (but “modern” quite a long time ago ;D ) where a saxophone really does imitate the obnoxious squeaking that a bad bearing can make.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain