Author Topic: How do talk sense to someone who rejects everything but hard sciences?  (Read 618 times)

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: How do talk sense to someone who rejects everything but hard sciences?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
Also, history is not science and is very subjective, that doesn't mean it is with out merit.

I don't think that history is subjective. It is objectively true that Braveheart is not a historically accurate movie.

We have incredibly strong reasons to think some things, like the Roman Empire existed, or that the Norse briefly had a settlement in Newfoundland.  The claim that the Phoenicians reached the Americas remain is very speculative, there is no supporting evidence for it, and no reason to believe so. We can be reasonably sure that the ancient Romans and the ancient Chinese knew of each others' existence.

While we know that the Hunnic expansion in Europe was halted at Battle of the Catalaunian Plains, the historical importance of the outcome of the battle, and what would have happened if the Huns had won, is more speculative. Earlier historians tend to think that it was of major importance for the history of Europe, whereas later historians don't think history would have unfolded substantially differently had the Huns and their allies won.

So I don't view history as very different from science. We have different degrees of certainty for various claims. It's not different in nature from speculations about the lifestyles of various dinosaur species. Did the live solitarily, or in packs, for example?

History is not even a science. In academia it is classified as a Humanity.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: How do talk sense to someone who rejects everything but hard sciences?
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 02:37:26 PM »
Way to completely miss what I was trying to say...

personate-rain