Author Topic: Progressive lenses  (Read 982 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Progressive lenses
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
My progressives work fine - although for long reading and screen time I do better with taking them off.

Exactly the same here. I've good luck with progressives for many years, but I still take them off for a lot of reading, especially when I am fatigued. One key is having an adaptable computer setup in order to get the angle of the sweet spot right. I've typically bought the best I could find, but I can't say if the extra cost is worth it.

There is a "break in" time with any new prescription, but typically your eyes and brain adjust. I remember a weird experiment where scientists rotated the eyes of salamanders 180 degrees, and they were able to adjust to that after awhile.

I had great success with "monovision" contact lenses for several years (a different prescription in each eye), but eventually the difference between the two prescriptions got too far apart and I could not adapt to that. An optometrist friend demonstrated to me that most people, including me, naturally use one eye for distance more than the other, so if you get that right, monovision tends to work better.

I'm not allowed to have monovision contact lenses, completely disallowed by the FAA.  I can have multifocal, but I've tried probably 6 different brands with 6 different schemes of how to do it.  They all only do about 80% of what decent progressives do.

I have been using bifocal contact lenses for several years. They were life changing. My uncorrected ability to focus is limited to between 10cm and 30cm. With glasses or regular contacts that moves out to about 50cm to infinity. (My arms are long, but that's starting to push it.) With bifocal contacts I can focus from about 25cm to infinity.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
Contact lenses creep me out. I tried to wear fake costume type lenses once and could never get them in.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
My optometrist recommended that I don’t get progressive lenses. Cycling and skiing wouldn’t work, mind you, he’d like to sell me reading glasses for thirty times the cost. I bought a pair of Adidas sports glasses with inserts and changeable outer lenses. The amber lenses are magic in the forest and flat light in the snow.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »
Contact lenses creep me out. I tried to wear fake costume type lenses once and could never get them in.

Yea, I get that too.  I keep trying, mainly because of vanity.  I did once have one get stuck, now that's scary as hell.  Went to the eye doctor and they managed to flush it out.

#non-belief denialist

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 01:18:31 PM »

Yea, I get that too.  I keep trying, mainly because of vanity.  I did once have one get stuck, now that's scary as hell.  Went to the eye doctor and they managed to flush it out.

If you can habituate it is amazing.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »

When you say you're using 'bifocal contact lenses'

Do you mean monovision lenses where one eye has a different magnification than the other eye?  Or do you mean the hard contact lenses that have an orientation?  Or do you mean multifocal contact lenses with the concentric rings of differing magnification?

I'm not allowed to use the first two.
#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 03:36:40 PM »
I got hard contact lenses when I was 12 IIRC. At some point I switched to rigid gas-permeable lenses. That’s what I was using when I quit wearing contacts, first because I went to jail and then prison where contacts would have been dangerous because of lack of adequate sanitation: Often no proper place for hand washing. After prison I didn’t go back because by then I was starting to get farsighted and it was easier to slide glasses up and down my nose than wear contacts for distance and glasses on top for reading.

Then later I got soft contacts, and eventually disposables, just for hiking and diving, where glasses are inconvient or don’t work at all. They fog up on the trail hiking and don’t fit under a dive mask.

And after my cataract surgery, now it’s just all those reading glasses.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »

When you say you're using 'bifocal contact lenses'

Do you mean monovision lenses where one eye has a different magnification than the other eye?  Or do you mean the hard contact lenses that have an orientation?  Or do you mean multifocal contact lenses with the concentric rings of differing magnification?

I'm not allowed to use the first two.

https://www.dailies.com/contact-lenses/dailies-total1-multifocal/

ETA: Aspheric Multifocal Contact Lenses (https://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/bifocals.htm)

The design of aspheric multifocal contact lenses is similar to that of progressive eyeglass lenses — there's a gradual change in power from far to near, with no visible lines in the lenses.

Unlike eyeglasses, however, aspheric multifocal contacts are simultaneous vision lenses, so your visual system must learn to select the proper lens power for the moment.

A number of aspheric multifocal contacts are now available as daily disposable lenses for the ultimate convenience in contact lens wear for presbyopes. Brands include Dailies Total 1 Multifocal (Alcon) and Proclear 1 Day Multifocal (CooperVision).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:37:59 PM by brilligtove »

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
Cycling and skiing wouldn’t work,

I have the same progressive prescription in my cycling sunglasses as my everyday glasses - they work fine.  With single vision I can't read the Garmin on my bars or the Fitbit on my wrist.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 06:08:06 PM »
I had a much better experience at Visionworks than America's Best worst.

I ended up with the "HD" progressive lenses that for some reason were cheaper than the middle version with my insurance plan.

The whole thing cost $250, not bad for my insurances bold worded claim of "free exam and 1 free pair"  :'(

I even got a trendy clear frame at no extra charge.  I did like one frame a little more but it would have cost an additional $25 and I was over budget.

5-10 day wait, we will see how it goes when they arrive (hopefully).
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 11:48:31 PM »
Cycling and skiing wouldn’t work,

I have the same progressive prescription in my cycling sunglasses as my everyday glasses - they work fine.  With single vision I can't read the Garmin on my bars or the Fitbit on my wrist.

I need to the ground or snow more than the technology in my back pocket
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

personate-rain