Author Topic: Episode #706  (Read 2874 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #706
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »

I said very few people in America take notice of the Australian government.  The hyperbole was saying that Donald Trump didn’t know who Malcolm Turnbull was.  I said Australia’s refugee policy was harsh.  The hyperbole was in saying that Trump thought they were harsh too.  Hyperbole is not to be taken as literally true.

I vote hyperbole, anyway, not many Americans seem to think much outside of the 48 states. 

I agree that Oz is pretty rough on refugees, who were thinking that they were coming to the "lucky country".
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »

I said very few people in America take notice of the Australian government.  The hyperbole was saying that Donald Trump didn’t know who Malcolm Turnbull was.  I said Australia’s refugee policy was harsh.  The hyperbole was in saying that Trump thought they were harsh too.  Hyperbole is not to be taken as literally true.

I vote hyperbole, anyway, not many Americans seem to think much outside of the 48 states. 

I agree that Oz is pretty rough on refugees, who were thinking that they were coming to the "lucky country".

Perhaps the refugees heard the current version of the national dirge, sorry - anthem, and thought that they would be welcomed?  The original words from 1879 more accurately reflect our outlook, more or less ‘piss off, and don’t think you’re coming here.’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Australia_Fair

Personally, I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with ‘Advance Australia Fair’ that wouldn’t be fixed by completely different words.  And a new tune.  And perhaps a new title.  Otherwise, it’s fine.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »
Personally, I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with ‘Advance Australia Fair’ that wouldn’t be fixed by completely different words.  And a new tune.  And perhaps a new title.  Otherwise, it’s fine.

I agree those 3 "minor" changes would fix that monstrosity of a song  ;D

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »

This was a bit surprising to me. From what I have read, Australia takes in one of the highest per capita amounts of immigrants in the developed world.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »

This was a bit surprising to me. From what I have read, Australia takes in one of the highest per capita amounts of immigrants in the developed world.

We have a bad record when the refugees find alternate ways to get here (other than through the official channels) Our government sends them to offshore processing centres like Papua New Guinea or Nauru, where they can be held for years and get poor medical, psychological and humanitarian treatment.

Most Australians want them treated more humanely and processed here in Australia. If they are genuine refugees, then they should get to stay here or be sent on to other welcoming countries, if they want to.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »

There’s a difference between ‘immigrants’ and ‘refugees.’  Even with immigrants, who are necessary for the economy, there’s a lot of public opposition to maintaining the current level of immigration, on the grounds that the cities, particularly Sydney and Melbourne, are claimed to be already full, with the current infrastructure not coping.  And the price of housing increasing to unaffordable levels.

The house prices have been fueled by the taxation benefits given to investors, who can therefore afford to pay more than owner-occupiers.  The Labor Party opposition (and hopefully next government come May) have proposed taxation changes which might reduce prices.  The government naturally claims that this will affect the economy.  House owners will feel less ‘rich’ and stop spending (private expenditure is one of the major components of growth in the economy, everything else is pretty flat, including personal income).

But of course, you’re rich if you have excess money to spend on luxuries once you’ve paid for the necessities.  If you think you’re rich because your house is worth more, and you can borrow money on it to spend, then really you’re not rich.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
After reading up on public housing success stories, I compulsively think, "Public Housing is the answer."

Vienna's a great example.

Article: Why rich people in Austria want to live in housing projects
Date: 2015 OCT 26

About 3 in 5 residents of Austria's capital Vienna, rich and poor, live in a “Gemeindebau” — public housing provided and managed entirely by the city — as well as other subsidized social housing typically run by nonprofit associations.

“Vienna has always said that it doesn't want ghettos. Today, there is not one area where you wouldn't dare to go. There's a social balance throughout the districts, and a high quality of life, peace and security,” says Christiane Daxbock from the office of the city counselor for housing. And residents agree.

“The reason for that is mostly found in social housing,” she says.

It's good, cheap and plentiful. Good locations, transit. People love it.

Wohnpark Alterlaa, Vienna, Austrai:
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?