Author Topic: Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:08:29 AM »
I'm not a sports fan and this is a thread to discuss the event and whats going on around the city rather than the game itself.

Welcome to Atlanta!

Y'all better show some respec!

So many people are coming to the city next week. Many wont even be going to the game, I don't really get it but it looks like it will be fun.  The city is looking pretty good.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/super-bowl-major-disruption-boom-for-atlanta/LSWXB9yg1dpoXU0XwrUBoM/

An estimated 1 million fans are expected to stream into Atlanta for the big game as well as the concerts, rallies and parties leading up to it. To put that number into perspective, it’s double the city’s population. Hartsfield-Jackson, already the world’s busiest airport, expects to shatter its own record with more than 100,000 travelers projected to pass through security in a single day. MARTA will be running around the clock. Atlanta’s police officers began working consecutive 12-hour shifts Saturday.

Lots of stuff to discuss here....

Evidently there is a new cola war and Atlantans are pissed.

WTF is this! Its an invasion!

Aren't you tired of the two soda system? Stop choosing the lessor of two evil colas. Choose RC Cola!  >:D

Huge concert and circus tents all along the downtown connector.

Foo fighters in this monstrosity. It looks much better finished

Shaq has the big circus tent across from the old Braves stadium.

Buildings are being covered with giant advertisements.

All 12 of A local Neo-Nazi group are going to march at Stone Mountain again. This time without a permit.

(click to show/hide)

Is anybody coming? Will you be attending the game? What do you think of all this craziness?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:21:29 AM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:40:32 AM »
When can we start demanding higher wages rather than talk about the importance of tipping?

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:43:56 AM »
When can we start demanding higher wages rather than talk about the importance of tipping?

I think you should do both, especially at waffle house!

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »
The Super Bowl was already held on September 29, 2018. And it wasn't in 'Atlana'.   ;)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:44 AM »
Atlanta’s police officers began working consecutive 12-hour shifts Saturday.

Does this mean that Atlanta’s cops are working a straight twenty-four hours? Who can function properly after that much time without sleep?

Yes, restaurant workers, hotel workers, in fact all low-wage workers should be paid a dignified wage. But until hell freezes over and that happens, tip your servers, hotel housekeepers, etc. And to hell with a lousy 15 or 20%. $5 tip at the very least after a full meal. Maybe less if you just had a cup of coffee and a doughnut.

I was in Atlanta once. Won’t be there this weekend.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
and now a possibility of snow.

https://www.ajc.com/news/snow-during-super-bowl-week-say-ain/Rg4OP6nloxRJZwgMs5kaAK/?fbclid=IwAR3IgbOq7Q-zp5fuKX5yt7knjn8-6HSal6LZm_zmsxOq4wcpgsLd55XPuKw

The fast-moving system is expected to bring a wintry mix to metro Atlanta that will “quickly transition over to some light snow.”

Now this is funny. For many of you this may not seem like a big deal but in the Atl a "light snow" = mass hysteria.  With an extra million people, apocalypse.

There have already been reports of local businesses worried about getting their employees to work with all the upcoming traffic and MARTA overflow, now lets add snow to the situation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:09:06 PM by Captain Video »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »
I thought this was funny. The Sydney Roosters (NRL) rugby league team has posted billboards around Atlanta, making tongue in cheek jokes about being world champions.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/roosters/super-bowl-sledge-nrl-promotion-pokes-fun-at-american-world-champions/news-story/2ee44df57639ea8c5ac81380cf2a1f30

Here in Australia it is considered a huge wank that the Superbowl winners (and other sports to a lesser degree) call themselves "World Champions" for winning a regional championship.

The Super Bowl was already held on September 29, 2018. And it wasn't in 'Atlana'.   ;)

Hopefully your team can go 1 better this year. (or even better mine wins  ;D ) Only 6 days to go to the footy starts. (AFLW)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 03:21:05 PM »
Only 6 days to go to the footy starts. (AFLW)

We're ready.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 01:29:13 AM »
I'd advice having some meals and sleep while waiting.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 09:47:53 AM »
My advice for the last 20 years, Superbowl Sunday is a good day to watch football but its is the absolute best day to do literally anything else.  Skiing is especially good. 

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 04:33:50 PM »
THe only cola war I heard about in Atlanta was:
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »
THe only cola war I heard about in Atlanta was:

ATL has many more choices than that. Next we will get Ghostface Grape, Hit Squad Sarsaparilla and Latin King Cola just to name a few.

Unless you are in a Taco Bell or KFC Try cracking open a can of Pepsi in public around here and you just mite get a visit from the Coke police. Its safer to stick with Coke.

Don't forget to add your 3 peanuts to the Coke.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
I graduated high school in Vicksburg, where Coke was bottled way back in 1894.  It was kinda the same.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30:47 PM »
"Atlanna".

Is that right?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 11:10:46 PM »
It's like Tranna, where I live.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain