Author Topic: Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta  (Read 2918 times)

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »
It took me a while to get the pronunciation of Nworlens, but I think I got there in the end.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 07:57:07 AM »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 07:57:54 AM »
N'awlins is definitely somewhere you can get it in the end if that's your taste, and times being what they are.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »
I always make a point of telling the natives of e.g. New Orleans, Atlanta, Missouri, Versailles, Cairo & Pierre et al that they're mispronouncing the names of their cities or state and will helpfully provide the correct pronunciation. One day they'll thank me.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »
THe only cola war I heard about in Atlanta was:

Sorry, you mean "coke" war.  In Atlanta, those are just two different kinds of coke.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 10:19:24 AM »
I always make a point of telling the natives of e.g. New Orleans, Atlanta, Missouri, Versailles, Cairo & Pierre et al that they're mispronouncing the names of their cities or state and will helpfully provide the correct pronunciation. One day they'll thank me.

Im sure the people in my hood would be happy to hear your comments on how they speak LOL I hope you have insurance.

Zone 3 respec *pounds heart with fist* (police zone 3, most gang activity in town and I live there)

Atlanna is Lit (Atlanta is cool)

12 creepin in (police driving close)

Shawty meet me at the Trap. (girlfriend meet me at the drug house)

Yeene-enno (don’t even know but faster)

Bando (abandoned house)

gonna git me some Scrimps (Plural for shrimp (what many of you call prawns)

and the all important YAKWTFGO . “YALL ALREADY KNOW WTF GOING ON!!”

Its not just hip hop slang, its widespread and multiracial. Atlanna is the city too busy to hate.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
THe only cola war I heard about in Atlanta was:

Sorry, you mean "coke" war.  In Atlanta, those are just two different kinds of coke.

Very true

all soda is "coke"

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »

You need to go to Saskatchewan and provide a similar service to the residents of Bienfait (Been Fate) and Mozart (Moe's Art).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 11:11:15 AM »

You need to go to Saskatchewan and provide a similar service to the residents of Bienfait (Been Fate) and Mozart (Moe's Art).
Right outside of Lexington Kentucky is a city named "Ver-Sails" (Versailles).  Closer to my neck of the woods is "Bar-er-vil" (Barbourville).

Could be worse, when I was growing up in Mississippi I had friends in Yokena and Kosciusko (birthplace of Oprah).

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
I was in my 40s when I learned that Ar-kan-sas is actually Ark-an-saw.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 12:59:37 PM »
I put up with all sorts of bullshit with a smile on my face, but I won't tolerate it when locals get all worked up when I don't come in knowing ahead of time how they mispronounce their local place names. I'll happily accept correction and do my best to conform to your made up nonsense pronunciations, but I won't be pleasant about it if it is delivered with indignance.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
There's a city in New York named Skaneateles.  Go ahead, try to pronounce it.  Beyond all reason, it is actually pronounced Skinny Atlas.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
I put up with all sorts of bullshit with a smile on my face, but I won't tolerate it when locals get all worked up when I don't come in knowing ahead of time how they mispronounce their local place names. I'll happily accept correction and do my best to conform to your made up nonsense pronunciations, but I won't be pleasant about it if it is delivered with indignance.

How do you pronounce Regina, the city in Canada?

('Big Mike' is the name of a banana cultivar. Are you known as Big Mike by reputation?)

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »

How do you pronounce Regina, the city in Canada?

('Big Mike' is the name of a banana cultivar. Are you known as Big Mike by reputation?)

You mean "The city that rhymes with fun"?

I'm the biggest Mike.  Not by girth (even though I'm relatively enormous, I'm often the third largest Mike in the room at Warhammer times), but by presence when I'm in my comfortable places.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:34:15 PM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
Could be worse, when I was growing up in Mississippi I had friends in Yokena and Kosciusko (birthplace of Oprah).

How do they pronounce Kosciusko?

That is the name of Australia's highest mountain. We don't pronounce it anywhere close to it's Polish pronunciation.

We call it Mount Kozzie-oss-ko

personate-rain