Author Topic: Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
Re: Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 02:17:50 PM »
I'm really bad at typing out phonetics (I'm too old to have been hooked on phonics).

Let's try (Koz-e-s-ko) with the second syllable as a long e, the third syllable getting the accent.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
I'm really bad at typing out phonetics (I'm too old to have been hooked on phonics).

Let's try (Koz-e-s-ko) with the second syllable as a long e, the third syllable getting the accent.

That's close to our pronunciation. At least both our countries are equally crap at pronouncing it correctly.  ;)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 07:48:30 PM »
Canberra has a suburb called Manuka, which is pronounced "MAH-ni-ka" rather than "ma-NOO-ka", which is how the name of the tree is pronounced.
Self-described nerd

Offline RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
I was in my 40s when I learned that Ar-kan-sas is actually Ark-an-saw.

Did Tennessee what Arkansas?

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »
I see what you did there, DevoutCatalyst.  :P
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
So it's kan-saw too, right?

*ducks*
Self-described nerd

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 12:35:56 AM »
All schools were closed today (as well as one large TV production) taking no chances in anticipation of the snowpocalpse light sprinkling of rain we had between 7:30am and noon.  Any SB visitors we have from up north must be laughing their asses off.

People are now claiming hotel price gouging.

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/nfl/superbowl/super-bowl-hotel-room-rate-jumps-from-523-to-4800-after-reservation/85-c3953148-ee46-433b-bf28-06339714d6c2

Super Bowl hotel room rate jumps from $523 to $4,800 - after reservation Fans who reserved ahead of time are saying they are having a rude awakening as they try to claim their rooms - from unavailability to prices well over what they agreed to.

I heard on the radio that people are loosing their rooms to corporations who are renting out large blocks.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 02:05:05 AM »
All schools were closed today (as well as one large TV production)

Major TV production in Atlanta ?

If it’s the one I’m thinking about is it ironic that snowpocalypse is shutting down that production?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:11:20 AM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
People are now claiming hotel price gouging.

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/nfl/superbowl/super-bowl-hotel-room-rate-jumps-from-523-to-4800-after-reservation/85-c3953148-ee46-433b-bf28-06339714d6c2

Super Bowl hotel room rate jumps from $523 to $4,800 - after reservation Fans who reserved ahead of time are saying they are having a rude awakening as they try to claim their rooms - from unavailability to prices well over what they agreed to.

I heard on the radio that people are loosing their rooms to corporations who are renting out large blocks.

Sounds like breach of contract. I hope those hotels get sued into bankruptcy. (Though given my opinion of professional sports and sports fans, I’m surprised I care. I guess it’s a rich vs. poor thing. My sense of economic fairness is stronger than my contempt for sports.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
You just haven't found your sport, Daniel. NFL may be boring as fuck, but there is something out there for you.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »

If it’s the one I’m thinking about is it ironic that snowpocalypse is shutting down that production?

There are around 20 TV shows being shot here right now. No zombies are being shot right now if that is what you are thinking and The Watchman just went on hiatus.  I was filling in on Greenleaf which did not shut down but the show shooting on the soundstage next door did, I could probably say the name without any harm but would rather not chance it in this public thread.

If it just flurries my union says we can refuse to show up but then they are not obligated to pay us . The trick is to show up then "fear for your lives" and leave so you still get paid a minimum of 8hrs.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 11:50:06 AM »
Sounds like breach of contract. I hope those hotels get sued into bankruptcy.

I'm sure there's all sorts of ass-covering "subject to change" weaseling in the Terms and Conditions that you click that you have read but that fewer than 0.1% of people actually read, and that you have to agree with anyway or they wouldn't rent you a room.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »

There are around 20 TV shows being shot here right now. No zombies are being shot right now if that is what you are thinking and The Watchman just went on hiatus.  I was filling in on Greenleaf which did not shut down but the show shooting on the soundstage next door did, I could probably say the name without any harm but would rather not chance it in this public thread.

If it just flurries my union says we can refuse to show up but then they are not obligated to pay us . The trick is to show up then "fear for your lives" and leave so you still get paid a minimum of 8hrs.

My bad, I only thought of the one (The post-zombie-apocolypse one).  No irony here. Just snow where it doesn't belong, extreme weather caused by global warming. As predicted.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:11 PM »
You just haven't found your sport, Daniel. NFL may be boring as fuck, but there is something out there for you.

I do enjoy watching women’s gymnastics. And there was a very big surfing competition at Jaws here on Maui shortly after I got here that I didn’t try to get to because parking at Jaws is horrendous at the best of times, so I watched some of it on YouTube. You can actually see it better on YouTube than from the vantage point you’re likely to get as a casual visitor. I probably watched 15 or 20 minutes of it before I got tired of it. I’d probably watch a canoe race once, if it was convenient and if I could watch it without missing my own recreational paddle that morning. But only once, out of curiosity.

I cannot think of a team sport that interests me.

@Captain Video: What sort of work do you do on these shoots? I have a cousin who worked as a script supervisor, which was still called script girl when she started; and another cousin who was a music editor and who did the music editing on at least one movie that I know of that I’m confident that everyone here has seen and that gets very good reviews.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 02:11:08 AM »
@Captain Video: What sort of work do you do on these shoots? I have a cousin who worked as a script supervisor, which was still called script girl when she started; and another cousin who was a music editor and who did the music editing on at least one movie that I know of that I’m confident that everyone here has seen and that gets very good reviews.

Mostly I press the space bar.

Its true male script supervisors seem rare but "script girl" was a long time ago, the term "scripty" is used on set sometimes. I am often checking in with them for continuity and dates.

I'm a video playback engineer. I'm in charge of the TV and computer screens, more specifically whats on them and how they "play back" for camera. Its a specialized job that is not always needed. Sometimes I am triggering video on cue other times I am controlling interactive computer and smartphone sequences for the actors. For instance a program that allows an actor to type any key while the correct words or phone numbers appear on the screen. This allows them to fake type quickly while concentrating on the acting. Lastly are the background screens which you mite see at a police station bullpen, airport kiosk or hospital bedside. They probably have nothing to do with the actual scene, they are just dressing, screens are everywhere these days. I occasionally make them green/blue/grey for future post work but having the actual video or still screen to playback is optimal. I sometimes design whats on the screens.