Author Topic: Episode #707  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #707
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
Whaddya Know: Periodic Table; News Items: Measles Hotspot, New Atom Smasher, Mapping the Brain, Animals in Winter; Who’s That Noisy; Dumbest Thing of the Week; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #707
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
Steve should still be arguing with Cara about brain computer interfaces.

That was painful to listen to.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »
I should carry a note pad and pen to write reminders about comments I should make when I’m listening to the show while walking the dog...

I wonder if I should have a booster of the MMR?  I’m 63, and don’t have much contact with children, but I do travel, and do spend time in airports and many hours in those confined metal tubes, travelling from one side of the world to the other.

Regarding body parts susceptible to frostbite.  Apparently the eyelids are also susceptible.  Many of the war criminals/soldiers involved in the invasion of the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa lost their eyelids during the terrible winter of 1941/42.

Science or fiction:

(click to show/hide)
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Scud422

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:14:50 PM »
Hey! Some of us do live under rocks!
It would have been nice to get a brief summary of the "Lincoln Memorial incident" before you guys talk about it for 15 minutes. This is something that you guys are usually really good at remembering, so I guess I can forgive this one slip up.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 03:54:19 AM »
It would have been nice to get a brief summary of the "Lincoln Memorial incident" before you guys talk about it for 15 minutes. This is something that you guys are usually really good at remembering, so I guess I can forgive this one slip up.

I’m Australian living on the other side of the world, and I’d heard and read of the ‘Lincoln Memorial incident.’  Perhaps you should stop living under a rock?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 04:11:52 AM »
I'd heard about it, I even recognized it when listening to this episode, but didn't remember that phrase and had to look it up to see what your comments were referring to. As Bob says, "Google it online".

I guess it's Steve's way of being as apolitical as possible.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:14:21 AM by 2397 »

Offline Aurora_borealis

• Brand New
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:55:59 AM »
Regarding the periodic table: contrary to what was stated on the podcast, element 114 has already long been discovered and since 2012, IUPAC adopted the name Flerovium for it - so 'Ununquadium' as a placeholder is no more...

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »
Staying warm.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »

I’m Australian living on the other side of the world, and I’d heard and read of the ‘Lincoln Memorial incident.’  Perhaps you should stop living under a rock?

You still live in the English speaking world. There's plenty of places where this was a nothing story that no one has heard about, and a lot of reasons why people are not always up to date on the news. A one minute introduction to the fifteen minute discussion, or at least a link to the story in the episode description would've been nice.
Mooohn!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 01:45:44 PM »

I agree. I had never heard of it either, and googling it seems to get mostly non-mainstream news links, making me to wonder if this was even well-reported on in the American media.

(Another thing they slipped on this time was giving only Fahrenheit temperatures. They are usually pretty good at also including Celsius temperatures.)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »

You still live in the English speaking world. There's plenty of places where this was a nothing story that no one has heard about, and a lot of reasons why people are not always up to date on the news. A one minute introduction to the fifteen minute discussion, or at least a link to the story in the episode description would've been nice.

It didn't make any news stream I follow. A brief description would have been nice. "Google it" is ok if you're near a computer.

I doubt this made any non-US mainstream news.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »
(Another thing they slipped on this time was giving only Fahrenheit temperatures. They are usually pretty good at also including Celsius temperatures.)

I bought a digital medical thermometer recently and it only has Celsius. Doesn't take long to understand what 37 degrees thereabouts means. I'd prefer that the SGU drop Fahrenheit altogether. I know Steve has given reasons not to switch but I find this hanging on behavior rather silly.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »

It didn't make any news stream I follow. A brief description would have been nice. "Google it" is ok if you're near a computer.

I doubt this made any non-US mainstream news.

I found a few Dutch news articles that discussed it, so I guess it was in the papers here (which tbh I don't keep up with). Of course you can google it. But the thing is, when I google "Licoln Memorial" I get nothing but tourist information. When I add "incident", I get articles that all refer to "after the events of last saturday" with no description of those events. It takes a while to track down and read the stuff they're actually talking about even if you have the option of googling around, and by the time you're done you've forgotten why you were reading about this barely-news online drama thing. And it kind of takes you out of the show. Anyway, no need to make a big deal about it I guess. As noted earlier, they're usually really good at this.
Mooohn!

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »

And what is Steve doing in negative Fahrenheit weather? I thought that 0 to 100 was all that was needed.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »
And what is Steve doing in negative Fahrenheit weather? I thought that 0 to 100 was all that was needed.

I've seen -40C on an outdoor thermometer here in Wisconsin back in 1996. (It's also the temp where Fahrenheit and Celsius agree.)

personate-rain
personate-rain