Author Topic: Episode #707  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #707
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
(Another thing they slipped on this time was giving only Fahrenheit temperatures. They are usually pretty good at also including Celsius temperatures.)

I bought a digital medical thermometer recently and it only has Celsius. Doesn't take long to understand what 37 degrees thereabouts means. I'd prefer that the SGU drop Fahrenheit altogether. I know Steve has given reasons not to switch but I find this hanging on behavior rather silly.

I'm fine with them including both Fahrenheit and Celsius, and also both metric an imperial measures. As long as all of those systems are widely used globally, it is most inclusive and most supportive of their outreach efforts to include all of them. One can argue which systems are superior (IMO, metric for measures certainly, unsure about temperatures, but only Celsius is used here, so that's the one I am familiar with, I know too little about Fahrenheit to have a strong opinion on it), but as long as they are all widely used, IMO they should be as inclusive as possible.

As for Fahrenheit, I know that 100 F is 37 C, but that's about it. So I was a bit lost at the winter discussion in this episode.

If someone says it is 20 C outside, I know what to expect. If someone says it is 20 F outside, I have no idea what to expect.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
The rough and ready method to convert °C  to °F is double it and add 30. It is not terribly accurate - 37+37+30=104, not 97. It's okay to ballpark temperatures though: 60°F is around 15°C [(60-30)÷2] so I'll want a light jacket.

The actual formula is:

y°C=(x°F-32)x5÷9
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »
BTW, I love that Bob has "favorite photons".
Mooohn!

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 07:26:23 PM »
Hi guys halfway through the ep..  Did Cara miss an rare Even butcher of the word "Vicinity" and pronounce "Vincindity".

Also, an accurate way from C to F. Is C divide by 5, multiply by 9, add 32. 

0C   is    0/5=0    0x9=0     0+32=32                           32F

-40C is   -40/5=-8  -8x9=-72    -72+32=-40                -40F

100C   is    100/5=20  20x9=180  180+32=212          212F

Damien
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
Hey! Some of us do live under rocks!
It would have been nice to get a brief summary of the "Lincoln Memorial incident" before you guys talk about it for 15 minutes. This is something that you guys are usually really good at remembering, so I guess I can forgive this one slip up.

I’m Australian living on the other side of the world, and I’d heard and read of the ‘Lincoln Memorial incident.’  Perhaps you should stop living under a rock?

I like living under (or literally on) this rock. I often listen to podcasts while preparing meals. I had no fucking idea what the pisschrist they were talking about. I do not keep up on the news because with a fucking turdmouthed baboon in the White House I don’t need the goddamned ulcers. I could not drop what I was doing and go google whatever the assjuice they called the “incident” though I don’t remember them naming the Lincoln Memorial in the segment.

Come on guys, when you’re talking about something, tell us what the fuck you’re talking about. Just because you don’t want to “get into” politics, doesn’t mean you cannot describe whatever it is you’re going to try to use as an example for whatever it was, which I still don’t know because I’m damned if I’m going to give some YouTuber another hit just to watch what, from the description on the show, was a video I probably didn’t want to watch anyway.

That whole segment was a total fail.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
It would have been nice to get a brief summary of the "Lincoln Memorial incident" before you guys talk about it for 15 minutes. This is something that you guys are usually really good at remembering, so I guess I can forgive this one slip up.

I’m Australian living on the other side of the world, and I’d heard and read of the ‘Lincoln Memorial incident.’  Perhaps you should stop living under a rock?

I like living under (or literally on) this rock. I often listen to podcasts while preparing meals. I had no fucking idea what the pisschrist they were talking about. I do not keep up on the news because with a fucking turdmouthed baboon in the White House I don’t need the goddamned ulcers. I could not drop what I was doing and go google whatever the assjuice they called the “incident” though I don’t remember them naming the Lincoln Memorial in the segment.

Come on guys, when you’re talking about something, tell us what the fuck you’re talking about. Just because you don’t want to “get into” politics, doesn’t mean you cannot describe whatever it is you’re going to try to use as an example for whatever it was, which I still don’t know because I’m damned if I’m going to give some YouTuber another hit just to watch what, from the description on the show, was a video I probably didn’t want to watch anyway.

That whole segment was a total fail.

I had to think for about a minute before I remembered what the incident was about.  Something about young people wearing ‘Make America Grate Again’ caps abusing a Native American.  I still can’t work out the slogan - Americans always ‘grate.’  So they can’t grate again.

I agree the segment went on for too long.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline stlc8tr

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 02:02:23 AM »
I had to think for about a minute before I remembered what the incident was about.  Something about young people wearing ‘Make America Grate Again’ caps abusing a Native American.  I still can’t work out the slogan - Americans always ‘grate.’  So they can’t grate again.

I agree the segment went on for too long.

How you view the incident depends on which side of the MAGA divide you fall on.

Short summary. A group of Black Hebrew Israelites was yelling insults at the Covington Catholic MAGA kids. Then the Native American guy intervenes. He then claims that the MAGA kids were yelling "Build the wall" and was trying to intimidate him. A Twitter troll farm takes a bit of that video and edits out most of the context and pushes a 1-minute version that is skewed against the MAGA kids. It goes viral and everyone can't stop themselves from condemning the MAGA kids. Then the full video comes out and the pendulum swings the other way, with everyone making the kids out to be saints.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. (Though Sandmann's smirk in the video makes it easy for me to believe that the MAGA kids were acting like bullies.)

This article has a link to the entire video.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/black-hebrew-israelites-covington-catholic-students-video/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:07:57 AM by stlc8tr »

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »
I had a similar experience with this story, though not through the SGU.  I opened up facebook and one of my friends had some huge debate in his feed.   My only comment is that it seemed to be the blue/white dress of politics.  WTF?  I'm still pretty sure that's all it is. 

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »
I think we know a few things after all of this:

1) The Hebrew Israelites were acting like jerks
2) The kids were acting like jerks in response
3) I have no reason to doubt that Mr. Phillips actually thought he heard 'Build the Wall!'  Memory being what it is
4) As to his(Mr. Phillips) motivation for doing what he did, I'm not sure we know for sure what that was.
5) Subsequent review of school tapes and videos show that there is a bit of a problem with sensitivity at that school.  They are doing things that appear quite insensitive to minorities.

And I'm a bit surprised that not a single commentator hasn't commented yet on how the ENTIRE mess was caused by flawed and false religious beliefs, on ALL sides.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:46:56 PM by Belgarath »
#non-belief denialist

Online CarbShark

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »

3) I have no reason to doubt that Mr. Phillips actually thought he heard 'Build the Wall!'  Memory being what it is
4) As to his(Mr. Phillips) motivation for doing what he did, I'm not sure we know for sure what that was.
5) Subsequent review of school tapes and videos show that there is a bit of a problem with sensitivity at that school.  They are doing things that appear quite insensitive to minorities.

And I'm a bit surprised that not a single commentator hasn't commented yet on how the ENTIRE mess was caused by flawed and false religious beliefs, on ALL sides.

I don't know I think the rogues were a little too quick to jump on the "take a second look" bandwagon. I really haven't seen anything that mitigates the behavior. If anything, more information made it worse. Smirky guy and the rest of the MAGA group were taunting those who were trying to keep the peace by separating opposing protestors.  They're also quick to dismiss the "Build the wall" chant claim.

But I am, admittedly, biased. I'm just suggesting that maybe the rogues are biased too.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »
The Hugh Laurie quote was great, and some of the funniest British comedy comes from the numerous pairings of Laurie with Stephen Fry, another fairly skeptical celebrity.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:46:02 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »

When doing mental math, never divide (or multiply) by 5; it’s always easier to multiply (or divide) by 2 and move the decimal point instead.

Also, ya’ll express formulas in weird ways.
F = 9/5 * C + 32
C = 5/9 * (F - 32)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:09:15 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »

When doing mental math, never divide (or multiply) by 5; it’s always easier to multiply (or divide) by 2 and move the decimal point instead.

Also, ya’ll express formulas in weird ways.
F = 9/5 * C + 32
C = 5/9 * (F - 32)

(click to show/hide)

I do the 5s in the opposite order, but yes.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline mattand

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »

I don't know I think the rogues were a little too quick to jump on the "take a second look" bandwagon. I really haven't seen anything that mitigates the behavior. If anything, more information made it worse. Smirky guy and the rest of the MAGA group were taunting those who were trying to keep the peace by separating opposing protestors.  They're also quick to dismiss the "Build the wall" chant claim.

But I am, admittedly, biased. I'm just suggesting that maybe the rogues are biased too.

After watching the SGU's performance on this incident, I'm really glad they never weighed in on the Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown murders. Those were two other incidents where "skeptics" needed more evidence.

I think they're hung up on the fact that more video surfaced after the initial incident, and they're all like "AHA! Skeptics wait for more evidence and there it is!!!" This really comes off as another example of the SGU so determined to prove what good skeptics they are, and how they don't live in a media bubble, they are shitting all over the human part of this story.

How's this for evidence: the kids are dressed in MAGA gear; getting in the face of a elderly Native American and mocking him; and come from a school where there's at least one incidence of a student dressing blackface in fucking public. For God's sake, two of the kids went on Fox and Friends and defended the blackface incident as people misunderstanding their school spirit.

But somehow that's not enough for the SGU to consider that maybe, just maybe, these kids are racist little bastards who get away with this garbage a lot.

I think what was especially galling was the Rogues laughing about being labeled as  both-siderists, and then taking that exact goddamn position. Like you said, I really don't see how the other videos somehow exonerate the Covington kids as not being as problematic as initially reported, which is what they're implying. On top of everything else, video surfaced of them harassing some girls at some point during that weekend.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, all of this was available by last Wednesday, which is when I think the show is recorded.

You know, I like the show. I like the Rouges. It's educational and I learn a lot every week. I'm not going to flounce publicly and say I'm not listening anymore. I also realize that Steve, et. al. could not give two shits about my opinion. I just sometimes feel like that they get so caught up with proving what level-headed, rational skeptics they are, they blow past or dismiss the emotional damage on a story like this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:48:51 PM by mattand »

Offline Bastard Soap

• Off to a Start
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 01:56:18 AM »
You're proof that people double down on their initial convictions and ignore evidence, full video clearly show the kids did nothing. Honestly guys I fear for the skeptics movement as the far left keeps getting more of a foot in the door

personate-rain
personate-rain