Author Topic: Episode #707  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #707
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 12:00:25 PM »
I'll offer a third interpretation of the smirk, an awkward smile of someone who has no idea how to react to that situation.  Not being psychic, I will not hazard a guess at what that smile meant. 

Online CarbShark

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »
When I first saw the video, I didn't see anything beyond the smirk for the one guy. The crowd behind them was rowdy and disrespectful, and I didn't hear anyone say anything about building a wall, but saw that as plausible.

When I saw the full video I thought the Hebrew Israelites were racist sexist jerks, and deserving of more criticism than the preppie kids, but I also saw the preppie kids were menacing and threatening with their cheers or whatever it was they were doing, and it was clear that the Native American groups were trying to separate two hostile groups.

The preppy kids seemed to be welcoming the Native Americans at first, but they should have backed down.

My opinion of the preppie kids and the smirker, didn't change that much, but watching the full video I had a better understanding of the situation and a better appreciation for what the NA's were doing.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Bastard Soap

• Off to a Start
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
The rest of my post? Call it doubling down; call it living in a bubble; call it whatever makes you feel better.

Nothing about making anyone feel better, you are just doing exactly what the SGU panel was talking about. Seeing things through a filter and rationalizing your bias.
The fact of the matter is, the MAGAhat kids didn't do any of the things they were accused of, and if smirking is really and sincerely considered offensive, society is hopeless.
To me it looks like a kid trying to contain laughter as some guy starts chanting at him and banging a drum. People have different perspectives, some will give Phillips the mantle of some revered "tribal elder' while others --especially teens just might regard him as a flipping weirdo.
Had the kid hurled racist epithets at him or assaulted him, my opinion would be different.

Honestly they were too damned soft, when the right goes against skeptic values they have no qualms calling them out but now they're apolitical.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
I’m confused by the reference to 30,003 sects of Christianity. The early Christians claimed to be the legitimate Jews after Jesus (who they regarded as the Christ) took Judaism on a 90 degree turn (according to the Christians). But they (the Christians) did not claim to be the biological descendants of the Hebrews. They claimed only to have a new revelation from the Jewish God and to be therefore following the “real” Judaism that (according to the Christians) the Hebrews had abandoned by rejecting Jesus as the Christ.

But they didn’t have a sound theological basis for this claim. They made the claim only because the pre-Christian Romans respected old religions, and Judaism was very old. The Romans did not respect new religions. So the early Christians were trying to frame their brand-new religion as the legitimate continuation of a very old religion, in order to gain respect.

The 30,003 sects of Christianity was tongue in cheek.  There’s so many of them.  There’s a minority argument that even Islam started out as an Arab Christian sect.  ‘Mohammed’ means ‘he who is to be praised.’  ‘There is one God (not two or three or many), and Mohammed (he who is to be praised, ie Jesus) is his prophet’ was to distinguish this sect from other sects, including orthodox Catholicism which has three, and perhaps many when you add in all the angels and demons.  And then the rulers of the Arabic world changed, and their location shifted, and they did what rulers often do - they modified the accepted religion and produced a religious text to justify their rule.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »
Minor quibble, the Saints in Catholicism come much closer to additional gods than the angels and demons, which don't actually play much of a role. 

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
Minor quibble, my understanding is that the Earliest christians, prior to paul anyway were Jews.  Later Christians wanted to claim jewishness because the Romans gave the Jews a pass on the Imperial cult.  Do to the antiquity of their religion which the Romans regarded as sort of quaint and backwards.  Not so much out of respect.  If the Christians weren't Jews and they wouldn't worship the Emperor then they couldn't be trusted. 

Also, its not clear to me that the Hebrew Israelites are Christian.  Their are a variety of African Israelite groups, some seem to be more christian than not while others seem to just claim to be Jews, usually with a strong element of anti-semitism because they typically think of themselves as "real Jews" as apposed to the fake Jews. 

There were more early Christianities than you could shake a stick at, each with its own theology and its own Christology. The Pauline trinitarians won out in the end, but in speaking of the earliest Christians, generalizations are unreliable. Some thought Jesus was God; some thought he was just a man. Some thought there was one God, some two, some three, some 365. Some thought Jesus died on the cross, some thought it was all a trick and he never died. Some thought you had to be a Jew to be a Christian, and if you were a man that would require being circumcised if you weren’t already; some thought not. Paul got a lot of traction by inventing an excuse for why circumcision was no longer necessary. (Before that, mostly women converted. ;D) Jesus was a Jew and never thought of himself as anything but a Jew, and the Apostles were Jews. But early Christians (once circumcision was not required) were of all sorts.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain