Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 45632 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #495 on: September 15, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »
Celeste just released an additional chapter to their game (free of course to anyone that already owns it).  Like every other platformer I have become obsessed with the game is brutally difficult and the final chapter is a clear extension of that difficulty.  I'm continuously fascinated by how learning curves work for precision video games.  I will play for an hour and see no evidence of improvement, or even make any conscious decision in how I can better memorize button sequences and level routing, and yet if I go back and replay a previous section I find it is immensely easier.  What's truly amazing about Celeste is that this learning process is almost identical whether you are 1 hour, 10 hour, or 50 hours in.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #496 on: September 16, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
Started playing Kerbal Space Program again.  I tried to replicate SpaceX's Starhopper test with my own "Grasshopper."
GIF

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #497 on: September 16, 2019, 09:41:02 PM »
Started playing Kerbal Space Program again.  I tried to replicate SpaceX's Starhopper test with my own "Grasshopper."
GIF

Was expecting disaster. Disappointed.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #498 on: September 16, 2019, 11:00:23 PM »
I would like to pick up Kerbal again

Right now I am very into "Oxygen not included" and "No mans sky"

No mans sky is a completely different game from the train-wreck it started out as, I have not had a chance to set up my Vive to play in VR but will soon. 8/10

ONI is never ending fun.  I will probably be playing this game for several years. 9/10
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #499 on: September 17, 2019, 12:07:14 AM »
Is the grind or story any better in No Man's Sky yet?  Those were the main turn-offs for me after the novel gameplay elements wore thin.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #500 on: September 17, 2019, 01:56:49 AM »
GIF

Does this satisfy your blood lust?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #501 on: September 17, 2019, 02:32:55 AM »
GIF

Much better, thank you.

After all, what's Kerbal good for if not for watching rockets explode?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #502 on: September 17, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
Is the grind or story any better in No Man's Sky yet?  Those were the main turn-offs for me after the novel gameplay elements wore thin.

Both are much better.  The stories are interesting and keep my attention. I like all the options of things to do.  I stumbled into one major story line by accident and it keeps  getting more interesting.

There are a few broken quests but I found a fix for them on YouTube.

I was surprised how quickly I was able to obtain a capital ship.

The grind is not bad at all. At least in my game my home base has almost everything I need close by. You can now store much more of an item in your inventory slots. I could easily mine 3000 carbon in about 5 minutes and it only takes one slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #503 on: September 18, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »
GIF

Much better, thank you.

After all, what's Kerbal good for if not for watching rockets explode?

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #504 on: September 20, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
Telltale Batman Season 2 10/10

Such a fun Batman game. You get to choose what kind of Batman and Bruce you want to be and live with the consequences.
The universe is different enough to be genuinely tense too. You have the chance to stop Joker becoming Joker and Harley is the abusive manipulator in the relationship.

Really excellent experience. Its basically 6 or so 2hr batman movies of very high quality.

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #505 on: September 20, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »
Microsoft Solitaire for android.  8/10

This will sound crazy, but hear me out.
You can now set the game to give you only deals guaranteed to be solvable, at variable difficulties.
This completely changes the strategy and makes the game a lot more intellectual. It plays much more like a puzzle than a typical card game in that way, and gives different deals a lot of replay value.  I've had a lot of fun with it.

but 2 points off because the interface itself is terrible.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #506 on: September 20, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
Microsoft Solitaire for android.  8/10

This will sound crazy, but hear me out.
You can now set the game to give you only deals guaranteed to be solvable, at variable difficulties.
This completely changes the strategy and makes the game a lot more intellectual. It plays much more like a puzzle than a typical card game in that way, and gives different deals a lot of replay value.  I've had a lot of fun with it.

but 2 points off because the interface itself is terrible.
I wonder how they manage that. Even if the list of unwinnable deals is 20%, that list is still very large. so recording a list of unwinnable deals is not feasible. Must be running a simulation prior to displaying the game to check if it's winnable.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #507 on: September 20, 2019, 11:21:39 PM »
I've been playing the Simple Solitaire Collection which, while it doesn't have the guaranteed solvable games for all of them, does have a guaranteed number of movements after starting a game.  More importantly, the interface is simple and functional and there are a number of Solitaire variants, some of which I'd never heard of before.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #508 on: September 20, 2019, 11:43:54 PM »
Quantum Break - 8/10 but in progress

I haven't been spending a lot of money on individual games lately, but the new game Control had me sorely tempted to.  Instead of caving, I decided to get the company's previous game which I'd never played, Quantum Break, as it was (and still is, I think) on sale for $10 on Humble Bundle.

At any rate, I'm a sucker for time manipulation, interesting game mechanics, and narrative heavy action games so this really works for me.  I'm maybe only a third of the way through, but the action, acting, story, setting, graphics, gameplay, an performance are all really well done.  If I had to draw a parallel to the gameplay style, it would probably be the Uncharted series as there is not really any kind of open world and each level is very linear.  There isn't really a lot of puzzles so far and the combat has really not challenged me much at all so in that regard it's not quite on the same level as Uncharted, but the story has its hooks in me the the time manipulation powers you gain are of a novel-feeling sort.  I say "novel-feeling" because most of them have analogues in other games I've played (bursts of super speed, stopping bullets, force push, freezing enemies, casting a shield, etc) but their execution, and really the effects for all the time manipulation and "stutters," are fantastically realized and look different than anything I've experience in other games.  Not every game needs to be super difficult or have every aspect of it be ground-breaking; sometimes being fun and interesting is enough and this one is definitely that.

Lastly, there is one aspect of this game that really sets it apart from most.  Interspersed with the chapters of gameplay are four full-fledged and good quality live-action television episodes starring the same actors in the gameplay and cut scenes.  They may not be A listers, but the 4 main players are quite recognizable:  Shawn Ashmore (Ice Man in the X-Men movies), Aidan Gillen (Little Finger on Game of Thrones), Lance Reddick (too many to pick one), and Dominic Monaghan (Merry in LoTR).  One nice touch is that performing certain actions and making certain choices in the game will not just effect the game, but also the television show.  It's not super complex, but it's still a nice touch. If you like Uncharted or other similarly narrative-focused games, you'll probably like this one.

personate-rain