Media > Games

the death of steam?

(1/6) > >>

moj:
Is steam going down? It seem like all the high end games are coupling or doing it themselves. I honestly have not used it in a long time. It had a great run but seems to me it's going to slip away. I think they really shot themselves in foot and squandered a real lead on the market. Valve use to make great games then the started messing with hardware and trying to cut out Microsoft.  I think they would have been so much better served had they just focused on games, and cloud gaming/hosting. They had all this potential and then just kinda stalled and lost momentum now all the big players are pulling out and doing it themselves. Will steam just be a for small and indie games? That might not be bad, but kinda sad considering how ahead they once where.

Captain Video:
I don't think so but all the games I like to play are on there.

It seems to me a few popular 1st person shooters are on other services but what else?  I cant think of anything high end except Sims 4 on origin.

Also the Vive blows all other VR away in my opinion so steam is needed.

Ah.hell:
I hope not, all of my games are on steam, granted, I haven't bought a new game in years. 

moj:
Epic, Bethesda, Electronic arts, blizzard all push there own games out with our own digital distribution now. There is no reason for any of them to continue to work with steam. There was a time when it made sense for them but now the cat is out of the bag. Its everyone for themselves or making deals like bugle is with blizzard where they do distribute instead of steam.

wastrel:

--- Quote from: moj on January 29, 2019, 11:58:07 AM ---Epic, Bethesda, Electronic arts, blizzard all push there own games out with our own digital distribution now. There is no reason for any of them to continue to work with steam. There was a time when it made sense for them but now the cat is out of the bag. Its everyone for themselves or making deals like bugle is with blizzard where they do distribute instead of steam.

--- End quote ---

Triple A games can go suck a dick, I hate their shitty distribution platforms and use them only when I am forced to.  Steam DRM sucks, but apart from that they have given indie developers the capability of wide distribution, and I don't see that going away any time soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version