Author Topic: the death of steam?  (Read 1349 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: the death of steam?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »
Its cause all the young people are on epic because of fortnight?

Here is a good article about linux gaming and how epic is going after that to. I won't quote the whole thing, it's long but worth the read. Steam should be very worried. Epic is offering dev's a much greater cut at 88% instead of 70% of sales. That will cause a lot of dev's to jump.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/19/linux-gaming-steam-valve-epic-games-store/

The way I read that article, Epic has no intention of “going after” the Linux gaming market.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »
Google is getting in and it mentions microsoft will new offerings this year. tic toc steam...

https://gizmodo.com/all-the-detail-about-stadia-googles-huge-bet-on-the-fu-1833410886?utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&fbclid=IwAR1ELZC-CoRioiNuuBOHjasbU8FO5M_EjcGjYZ8CenKU7tiDIqfCeXAw0YQ

Google is taking on the big guys. In a keynote at Game Developers Conference in San Francisco today Google announced a new service, Stadia, that will allow gamers to play the biggest games on any Android or Chrome-based device (including any device with a Chrome browser).

It could be extraordinary. I mean...the name isn’t. The name is absolutely terrible and sounds like a disease. But the service itself could be extraordinary.

Google isn’t the first to attempt game streaming—Nvidia has been doing it via its GeForce Now service since 2015, while European startup Shadow launched its game streaming service in the U.S. in 2018. Meanwhile one of Google’s most obvious rivals, Microsoft, is planning to launch its own game streaming service later this year.

The article mentions it is built on linux and that it will be out later this year. If google get this right they could take over.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:36:01 PM by moj »

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
tic toc steam...

Why the apparent Steam hate?

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
For the uber nerds, Dwarf Fortress will be available on Steam soon.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
tic toc steam...

Not really hate, more of a disappointment at there squandered lead in this space. They have had about a 10+ year head start and besides bringing games to linux stopped innovating in 2013. I would like to see them do more, wish the would have done more along time ago. It seems like there time is running out.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »
tic toc steam...

Not really hate, more of a disappointment at there squandered lead in this space. They have had about a 10+ year head start and besides bringing games to linux stopped innovating in 2013. I would like to see them do more, wish the would have done more along time ago. It seems like there time is running out.

I have to disagree about not innovating since 2013.  I think Steam Vive VR is fantastic and it keeps getting better. I prefer the steam controller over the Xbox, I use the Steam link box which works perfectly.

The interface is easy to use in both classic and big picture mode.  I have origin and think its clunky.  As far as games go I personally don't see a loss anywhere but as I mentioned before I don't play shooters.  I think most of the kinds of games I play will always be on steam.  If Bethesda starts their own service I will certainly join to play Elder scrolls but thats about it.  The only reason I paid for a year of origin was to play Command and Conquer generals and the Sims and I wont be renewing. Nothing new appeals to me on there.

I don't think they have lost their lead either.  Does someone have more games or players? I don't think so.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
I might have been a bit harsh on steam. I know RD takes a lot.  I have not tried any of there hardware so I don't think about it. My bad, my blind spot.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 07:36:54 PM »

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »
Steam seems to be going through the same issue that Netflix is going through: other companies are seeing how lucrative being the "clearinghouse provider" can be, so they are jumping on that bandwagon too. IMHO I think Steam will weather this storm a little bit better, because their model doesn't involve directly charging the customer any fees like Netflix does. But we'll see.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline lobsterbash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
What would "the death of Steam" mean, anyway? That their service shuts down and all the games we paid for are no longer accessible?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 04:59:28 PM »
Well, I believe you don't own any of those games. You just paid a license to play them. So, if Steam goes under and closes shop, then you can't play those games.

I doubt that would happen though.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
Epic Games Store is picking up more and more exclusives, Metro: Exodus, Rage 2, Borderlands 3, Rocket, The Outer Wilds, and announced at E3, Auto Chess.  I find an Auto Chess Epic exclusive really odd, since Auto Chess is based on DOTA's architecture, and DOTa is a Valve property.

Epic is picking up steam (heh) apparently by offering a bigger cut to devs, which I think is a cue that Steam needs to pick up on to not lose any further ground.  I think to passing more onto devs is a good thing all ion all no matter what, giving too much power to the middleman is never a good thing for consumers or producers.

Steam remains an Indie darling, Epic doesn't even seem to be bothering with any non-major developers, but i don't' want to see it slide much further.

Platform exclusivity is a constant video-game problem that's been around since the introduction of Genesis v SNES (if not even earlier), but I hate to see it continuing unabated.