Author Topic: "One in 20 Britons does not believe Holocaust took place, poll finds"  (Read 1370 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: "One in 20 Britons does not believe Holocaust took place, poll finds"
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »
The BBC podcast, "more or less" just discussed this.  They specialize in analyzing numbers used in the media.  They do not trust this number due to some issues with methodology. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrss1/episodes/downloads

Thanks for posting this.  I was coming here to put the same in the thread.

And it looks like it was completely overlooked.

Y'all.  Listen to the podcast.  They made a good case that the survey sucked, and the number is more along the lines of 1 in 400.

I just came here for the same reason. It's quite a good show and your bottom-line summary is spot on.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: "One in 20 Britons does not believe Holocaust took place, poll finds"
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2019, 10:08:27 PM »
Saying "5% of people are fucking morons" is just your own personal opinion. Ignoring inconvenient facts isn't parsimonious or scientific.

In my admittedly unscientific opinion, the amount of morons in the population certainly exceeds 5%.

I suppose that depends on how you define "morons." I generally agree that most people scarcely even bother to try inform themselves about political issues; even among those who do, a large proportion of them never bother to question their sources.

The figures in the article I cited above are not specific to the UK, but came from polls conducted worldwide. Hence, it's inappropriate to apply them as hard numbers for denialism rates among UK Muslims. I'd expect the proper way would be to acquire some poll data particular to UK Muslims, then calculate your percentages from there.

I didn't make any claim about British Muslims in the OP, and I don't think the article did either.

My post was actually in reply to the previous one by Sawyer. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'd say that antisemitism in Arab and Muslim culture is not just a "convenient narrative" though. Lots of poll data indicate its significance, and some of the highest religious authorities and national leaders in that community have issued virulent antisemitic statements over the last few decades. I certainly wouldn't characterize that as "convenient," either. I would much rather it wasn't true. But I'm not going to dismiss such obvious facts just on wishful thinking. To me it makes more sense to do a little research before reactively chalking it all up to a presumptive political narrative.

Yeah, the Middle East is rife with antisemitism, and polling data from here suggests that antisemitism is more common among Muslims than the general population. I wouldn't be surprised if that is also the case in the UK.

Antisemitism is simply more common among some groups than others. It is, for example, also more common in Eastern Europe than in Western Europe.

But at the same time, this doesn't mean that all Muslims are antisemitic, or that no non-Muslims are.

Absolutely. This Atlantic article laid out some figures for antisemitic views among various regions and religious persuasions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:31:12 PM by John Albert »

personate-rain