Author Topic: Episode #708  (Read 867 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #708
« on: February 02, 2019, 11:44:31 AM »
What’s the Word: Prosody; News Items: Cure for Cancer?; Liquid Fuel from Sunlight; Metallic Wood; Oldest Rock; Who’s That Noisy; Name That Logical Fallacy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: Episode #708
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 12:06:17 PM »
Prosody. I love the way you say prosody.

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
Re the Earth rock found on the moon - I can already imagine what the moon landing deniers are going to say.  ::)
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
In the thread about episode #707 there was a little discussion about Celsius vs Fahrenheit. And right at the start of this episode, they go all-out Fahrenheit. Way of making a statement.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 04:40:21 PM »
I was surprised to hear them talk about the “Cure for cancer?” news item as though it had anything to do with science. The announcement was an obvious scam intended to lure suckers into investing. Steve did mention that in passing. But they could have just said “Obvious scam” and then in much less time than they took, given the reasons.

Cara misspoke when she said that lithium batteries just have to be made smaller. They need to be made more energy dense. More energy in less weight and space. The size of individual batteries doesn’t matter. (Cara is still the most knowledgeable of the rogues after Steve.)

I got SoF right! That has not happened for a good while. (I score well below chance.) But I got it right for the wrong reason.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »
I was surprised to hear them talk about the “Cure for cancer?” news item as though it had anything to do with science. The announcement was an obvious scam intended to lure suckers into investing. Steve did mention that in passing. But they could have just said “Obvious scam” and then in much less time than they took, given the reasons.

Cara misspoke when she said that lithium batteries just have to be made smaller. They need to be made more energy dense. More energy in less weight and space. The size of individual batteries doesn’t matter. (Cara is still the most knowledgeable of the rogues after Steve.)

I got SoF right! That has not happened for a good while. (I score well below chance.) But I got it right for the wrong reason.

I don’t know what the correct answer was for SoF.  I can’t remember that there’s ever been one that I was less interested in.  I just tuned out.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 05:52:01 PM »

I don’t know what the correct answer was for SoF.  I can’t remember that there’s ever been one that I was less interested in.  I just tuned out.

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Good, thanks for telling me the answer.  I’m impressed by your reasoning though.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:23:02 AM »

I disagree.  This particular claim was made based on a lot of actual science, not completely fake magic.  This kind of claim can be very tempting for a reasonable people to accept.  For the rogues to dismiss it with a casual backhand, I feel, would not be very helpful.  When friends and family bring up this article to me, I can now give them details about WHY it is just an obvious scam without having to say that I think it is a scam because Steve said so.  I am always grateful when the rogues do a deep dive one something like this so I have some context if it ever comes up in conversation.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »
Did I hear Cara google the temperature of “Antarctica”? It is twice the size os Australia.  This time of year the temperature will range from 0 to-30.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
Regardless of how many adverts there are on SGU, there are podcasts which are worse.  I’m currently listening to ‘Murder Book’ by Michael Connelly (creator of the LAPD detective Hieronymus Bosch), which has many.  Michael Connelly is also a much better author than speaker, though it’s still very listenable.