Author Topic: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....  (Read 4485 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....
« on: February 02, 2019, 07:58:38 PM »
^^
Have you ever heard anybody say something to this effect?  I have many times and I'm curious who believes it, and where's the evidence, and what are people suggesting it actually is?

I would be interested in how McDonalds can claim it's 100% beef and not deliver on that while still complying with advertising standards.  And given the turnover in places like McDonalds, the beef is likelhy fresher and contains less preservatives than a beef burger you might eat somewhere slightly more expensive, like a pub or cheap restaurant like a TGI's for example who probably cook burgers from frozen patties.

The actual cuts of beef that the ground meat comes from is likely the place where McDonalds saves their money.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:43:37 PM »
They use every cut of beef. Including organs and connective tissue. And green slime to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 02:22:13 AM »
They use every cut of beef. Including organs and connective tissue. And green slime to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it bad to use the whole animal?
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 03:16:01 AM »
I don't think its bad to use the whole animal. Organs tend have a much higher price in fine dining because of how flavorful they can be.

They dont use pink slime and they have recently started a campaign to reduce antibiotic use.

https://corporate.mcdonalds.com/content/dam/gwscorp/scale-for-good/McDonalds_Beef_Antibiotics_Policy.pdf

As one of the world’s largest food companies we will use our scale for good, partnering with industries in transparent
conversation to advance practices related to use of antibiotics and susceptibility testing.

Grant Imahara found no slime and only 100% beef

https://www.cnet.com/news/pink-slime-in-burgers-mcdonalds-hires-former-mythbuster-to-find-out/

"Are there lips and eyeballs in there, Jimmy?" Imahara asks operations supervisor Rendon in the video.

"No, it's 100 percent beef trimmings from the cow," Rendon answers.

Imahara visits the beef inspection area to see for himself what goes into a McDonald's burger, then checks out the grinding and patty-forming process and takes a tour of the flash freezer.

I think McDonald's has always moved/caved towards healthier options when the public demanded which is why I can no longer get the fried apple pie that I miss so much.  They shifted from natural beef tallow to vegetable oil (bastards) Then when that started killing us they shifted to a better blend, and then finally a tras fat free almost chemically meat tasting blend.  It may take a while but eventually they give people what they want. No more styrofoam is another example and i'm betting they will pull off alternatives to straws and other plastics before the others which will have a huge impact.

I read somewhere that business is going up because of the new delivery services like Uber eats.

I'm glad they are getting healthier but I miss the pies and yummy beef frys
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 09:53:31 AM »
^^
Have you ever heard anybody say something to this effect?

It’s probably just a way of disparaging McDonald’s, either because they actually don’t like the product, or because they dislike the franchise for other reasons. I think it should probably be taken as an expression of dislike rather than literally, though there are undoubtedly people who will carry it into literalism.

When I was a kid there was a hamburger stand on the corner, Clint’s. It was a one-person operation. Clint, the owner, operated it by himself. He had a younger man who operated it on his occasional days off. The place had character, and if you were a regular, he’d add extra meat and toppings. And there were stands like Clint’s all over the place. McDonalds and their imitators put stands like Clint’s out of business. The Walmartification of American commerce. I had quit eating meat only about two months before the first McDonald’s opened in my neighborhood. But I’ve always disliked fast-food places for the effect they had on personalized enterprises like Clint’s.

When I lived in Mexico, c. 1995-1999, and I have no reason to think this has changed, there were still one- and two-person food operations all over the place. On the street, in the mercados, and they served better food than bigger restaurants and much better than chains. I hope McDonald’s does not manage to put those places out of business.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 09:40:57 AM »
^^
Have you ever heard anybody say something to this effect?

It’s probably just a way of disparaging McDonald’s, either because they actually don’t like the product, or because they dislike the franchise for other reasons. I think it should probably be taken as an expression of dislike rather than literally, though there are undoubtedly people who will carry it into literalism.
This is probably the truth. 

When I was a youth there was a rumor going around that Mcd's actually used kangaroo meat.  Which is of course stupid, that would necessarily be more expensive than beef in the US.  I'd guess they likely just use low quality beef for the burgers and pink slime for any of the obviously not quite natural meat like the McRib and what not. 

If you really want to get to the bottom of the claim, ask the person what they mean and where they got their information.   My guess is they don't know and their vegan buddy. 

Anecdote, I worked in a warehouse that supplied the mid range local restaurants on the Central Coast of CA.  They were quite well known for their meat, the burgers were mostly meat from retired bulls.  Too tough for anything but burgers.   So, unless your talking high end places, burgers are all pretty low quality beef.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
There was a skit on The Royal Canadian Air Farce a few decades ago about a fast-food chain obviously intended as a spoof of McD’s. The chain is charged with serving spoiled meat, and the owner says that can’t be true because there is no meat, just sawdust. And in the punch line someone replies, “But there were squirrels in those trees!”
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »
Macicas buys 33 million kgs of Kiwi beef, about a tenth of our exports. Not that I have, but one can buy a Kiwi burger or Angus burger, both advertised as 100% NZ beef.

I had two bunless burgers last night from my own property.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
Anecdote, I worked in a warehouse that supplied the mid range local restaurants on the Central Coast of CA.  They were quite well known for their meat,hte burgers were mostly meat from retired bulls.  Too tough for anything but burgers.   So, unless your talking high end places, burgers are all pretty low quality beef.

Well, this is probably not applicable. While 50% +/- of cattle are born males, about 1% +/- become bulls. The rest are steers, and they don't get old enough to retire.

McDonalds is a massive operation and they buy meet on the hoof by the thousands of tons. And they waste very little.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
Anecdote, I worked in a warehouse that supplied the mid range local restaurants on the Central Coast of CA.  They were quite well known for their meat,hte burgers were mostly meat from retired bulls.  Too tough for anything but burgers.   So, unless your talking high end places, burgers are all pretty low quality beef.

Well, this is probably not applicable. While 50% +/- of cattle are born males, about 1% +/- become bulls. The rest are steers, and they don't get old enough to retire.

McDonalds is a massive operation and they buy meet on the hoof by the thousands of tons. And they waste very little.
I do not disagree, merely pointing out that even "good" restaurants don't use high quality beef for burgers.  It just wouldn't make sense. 

Macicas.......
Neither apropos nor indicative of anything but it feels like you use a different pet name for McDonald's every time you mention them.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »

I do not disagree, merely pointing out that even "good" restaurants don't use high quality beef for burgers.  It just wouldn't make sense. 

They do. Some good restaurants buy from butchers who take the best cuts for steaks and roasts, etc. But many buy ground beef from wholesale packagers who, like McDonalds, find it more efficient to put everything in the grinder.

And, aside from grass fed beef and niches like Kobe beef, the quality of beef on the hoof is pretty consistent whether you getting filet mignon at a fancy restaurant or a Big Mac.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 02:35:01 PM »
Neither apropos nor indicative of anything but it feels like you use a different pet name for McDonald's every time you mention them.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 02:44:43 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »

Could you provide a source for this claim?  My understanding is that McDonald's hamburgers do not contain any organ meat, but only muscle trimmings and fat as well as salt and black pepper. I'm not sure what you mean by 'green slime'; are you perhaps referring to Lean Finely Textured Beef (so-called 'pink slime'), which I believe McDonalds no longer uses in their burgers but which is, in fact, perfectly good beef?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
... many buy ground beef from wholesale packagers who, like McDonalds, find it more efficient to put everything in the grinder.

This gave me the horrid but hilarious image of McD’s driving a whole herd of cows into an enormous machine that grinds up everything, hooves, bones, hair, eyeballs, everything together and spits out hamburger patties at the other end, onto a conveyor belt, where workers carefully push anything unsightly down into the middle of the patty where it won’t show. One patty (in this image) has a human finger poking out, that the worker missed. Another worker is vomiting into a barf bag that he sets down next to the conveyor belt for future use.

I’ve heard it said that if you ever visit a slaughterhouse, you probably won’t be able to eat meat ever again.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online CarbShark

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »

Could you provide a source for this claim?  My understanding is that McDonald's hamburgers do not contain any organ meat, but only muscle trimmings and fat as well as salt and black pepper. I'm not sure what you mean by 'green slime'; are you perhaps referring to Lean Finely Textured Beef (so-called 'pink slime'), which I believe McDonalds no longer uses in their burgers but which is, in fact, perfectly good beef?

Yes, I meant Pink Slime.

I will look for sources. My understanding about that came from when I was in my 20s and worked on a cattle ranch. Things may have changed since then. 

personate-rain