Author Topic: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....  (Read 4207 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
Well, this seems relevant.
https://thetakeout.com/usda-pink-slime-meat-beef-lean-finely-textured-1832561890

Carbshark will be delighted to hear this, I'm sure:
In December 2018, the United States Department Of Agriculture’s Food Safety And Inspection Service quietly reclassified “lean finely textured beef,” which some deride as “pink slime,” as “ground beef.”

Not related to the pink slime thing, but this bit seemed weird to me:
(…) saying it will make consumers nervous about beef products and could even open the door for lab-grown or cell-based meat to be labeled ground beef.
Um, yeah? Of course it's ground beef. What the hell else would it be?
What is the exact opposite of delighted?

‘Deboarded’ is the exact opposite of ‘boarded,’ so perhaps ‘lighted’ is the direct opposite of ‘delighted?’

I was looking for a word of the opposite meaning in English. Should have been clear about that.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2019, 08:15:38 PM »
Well, this seems relevant.
https://thetakeout.com/usda-pink-slime-meat-beef-lean-finely-textured-1832561890

Carbshark will be delighted to hear this, I'm sure:
In December 2018, the United States Department Of Agriculture’s Food Safety And Inspection Service quietly reclassified “lean finely textured beef,” which some deride as “pink slime,” as “ground beef.”

Not related to the pink slime thing, but this bit seemed weird to me:
(…) saying it will make consumers nervous about beef products and could even open the door for lab-grown or cell-based meat to be labeled ground beef.
Um, yeah? Of course it's ground beef. What the hell else would it be?

‘Deboarded’ is the exact opposite of ‘boarded,’ so perhaps ‘lighted’ is the direct opposite of ‘delighted?’

I was looking for a word of the opposite meaning in English. Should have been clear about that.

Well, ‘lighted’ is an English word.  It was a wordplay.  I took your comment as a wordplay too, since obviously you could have done a Google search yourself.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/delighted

Take your pick.  I don’t know what context you’re trying to use the direct opposite of ‘delighted.’
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2019, 02:23:49 PM »
Playful way to deliver an idea:

Cute humorous response:

Weirdly making it into an actual discussion:

Weirdly taking it one step further to forum policeland:

Cute humorous response:

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2019, 04:07:32 PM »

Cute humorous response:

Cute humorous response:

(click to show/hide)

What is the exact opposite in English of
(click to show/hide)
?

Actually, I think we’re well and truly off topic, and we’d better stop before the site Nazis moderators issue us with an infraction.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »
Friendly Wife is excited that Carl's Jr is now offering a burger that can be called 100% NOT beef.
Not that she likes burgers that much, but she sees it as a sign that Vegan consumer power is being noted by mainstream food joints.

https://www.carlsjr.com/beyondburger
The charbroiled Beyond Famous Star® with Cheese featuring the 100% plant-based Beyond Meat® patty now at Carl’s Jr.® It tastes beyond belief.

White Castle has garnered critical praise for their "Impossible Slider."

I've tried them. They're actually pretty decent.

OK so last night, on an unholy whim, I ate at White Castle.

They now offer two "New New Impossible Sliders," both of which have much thicker patties than the regular Impossible Slider. One comes topped with some kind of barbecue sauce, the other with pickles and cheese. Something about the idea of White Castle BBQ sauce seemed weird to me, so I opted for the latter.

First thing I noticed was that the preparation time for these new impossible sliders is much longer than usual, something on the order of 10 minutes. I guess that's because the patty is so much thicker. It's about 3/4 of an inch thick, and has some visible chunks of veggies embedded in there.

Truth be told, I was quite looking forward to tasting more of the actual patty than the thinner, original Impossible Slider, whose flavor tends to get lost among the onions and other toppings. And the taste was... a little "off." I couldn't quite identify exactly what was wrong, but if this burger was made from real animal meat I might have described its taste as "gamy." Maybe the thing would have tasted better smothered in sweet, tangy BBQ sauce. I don't know, but I doubt I'll be trying another of these things any time soon.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
I'm never really sure I'm tasting any beef in normal White Castles.  The bun, grease, and onions are pretty loud already.

I do want to try that impossible burger they are going to roll at out BK. 
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
A&W in Canada has been selling the impossible burger. I also encountered it at a food show. I have a very hard time telling them apart from a normal pre-made meat patty. They taste good. No one should confuse them as being healthier than a meat burger. I'm sure to get the taste and mouth feel they need to pump it full of non animal fats.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »
I had a black bean burger for lunch.  It was good, and nothing at all like beef.

I think Friendly Wife got some coupons for Impossible Burgers so we'll probably be having those tonight.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2019, 05:43:19 PM »
Carl's Jr and I assume Hardy's has a "beyond" meat burger.  Its as good as their regular burgers.   

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »
I have no interest in impossible or beyond burgers. I'd rather eat a mcDonalds burger. (Hold the bun, of course).

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
I'm never really sure I'm tasting any beef in normal White Castles.  The bun, grease, and onions are pretty loud already.

That's the style, for sure. The thin patty, slivered onions and savory grease provide just enough flavor and lubrication to facilitate easy consumption of the thick bun, which is most useful for soaking up the residual liquid stomach contents of a night of binge drinking. And that is why White Castle is most favorably regarded as late-night/early-morning "drunk food."

I do want to try that impossible burger they are going to roll at out BK.

I might give it a shot, but after my "New New Impossible Slider" experience my expectations are not that great.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 08:33:02 PM by John Albert »

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
Carl's Jr and I assume Hardy's has a "beyond" meat burger.  Its as good as their regular burgers.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »

Now that's the makings of a good burger.  Fuck energy hungry chemical laden nonsense burgers. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

personate-rain