Author Topic: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....  (Read 4487 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
I’ve heard it said that if you ever visit a slaughterhouse, you probably won’t be able to eat meat ever again.

You'd have to ask a slaughterhouse worker. Or my brother who was a USDA inspector who still ate meat.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
Friendly Wife is excited that Carl's Jr is now offering a burger that can be called 100% NOT beef.
Not that she likes burgers that much, but she sees it as a sign that Vegan consumer power is being noted by mainstream food joints.

https://www.carlsjr.com/beyondburger
The charbroiled Beyond Famous Star® with Cheese featuring the 100% plant-based Beyond Meat® patty now at Carl’s Jr.® It tastes beyond belief.
Amend and resubmit.

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »
My wife was briefly a meat inspector at a plant that produced chicken for KFC.  They had a company store that we bought all sorts of stuff from (frozen Big Crunch patties by the bag, for instance).

She also went on a tour of a hoof-to-packaged sausage factory, and came home with free samples.

When I know the meat inspector is still eating the output, I'm a lot less concerned.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 05:52:28 PM »
Friendly Wife is excited that Carl's Jr is now offering a burger that can be called 100% NOT beef.
Not that she likes burgers that much, but she sees it as a sign that Vegan consumer power is being noted by mainstream food joints.

https://www.carlsjr.com/beyondburger
The charbroiled Beyond Famous Star® with Cheese featuring the 100% plant-based Beyond Meat® patty now at Carl’s Jr.® It tastes beyond belief.

White Castle has garnered critical praise for their "Impossible Slider."

I've tried them. They're actually pretty decent.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
I’ve tasted fake meat that to me, tasted very much like meat. It was precisely because they taste so much like meat that I find them thoroughly disgusting. OTOH, take some medium-spicy beans, press them into a patty, perhaps with a bit of corn masa to hold the shape, fry it on a griddle and serve it on 100% whole-grain bread, and YUMMMM! Tastes like beans. The only problem is that I’m likely to eat too many of them.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 02:49:23 AM »
[quote author=daniel1948 link=topic=50946.msg9600808#msg9600808 date=1549309784

I’ve heard it said that if you ever visit a slaughterhouse, you probably won’t be able to eat meat ever again.
[/quote]

I've heard it said as well.  I am quite happy with the operation of our local abattoirs.  In fact, the most local one is happy to supply the science department (where I work as the tech) with eyes, lungs, and hearts.  They also have a giant worm farm to deal with the waste, and sell the vermicast to horticultural farmers.  We aren't talking Sinclair's "Jungle" anymore.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »
Yeah. It didnt stop me.
One of those truisms like no atheists in a foxhole etc.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »
They use every cut of beef. Including organs and connective tissue. And green slime to boot.

Could you provide a source for this claim?  My understanding is that McDonald's hamburgers do not contain any organ meat, but only muscle trimmings and fat as well as salt and black pepper. I'm not sure what you mean by 'green slime'; are you perhaps referring to Lean Finely Textured Beef (so-called 'pink slime'), which I believe McDonalds no longer uses in their burgers but which is, in fact, perfectly good beef?

Yes, I meant Pink Slime.

I will look for sources. My understanding about that came from when I was in my 20s and worked on a cattle ranch. Things may have changed since then.

Could it be that you never had good sources for this opinion, but were merely repeating rumors that you had heard, like those mentioned by the OP?  And that now you are going to go looking for sources to confirm your pre-existing opinion?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online CarbShark

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 02:41:53 PM »
They use every cut of beef. Including organs and connective tissue. And green slime to boot.

Could you provide a source for this claim?  My understanding is that McDonald's hamburgers do not contain any organ meat, but only muscle trimmings and fat as well as salt and black pepper. I'm not sure what you mean by 'green slime'; are you perhaps referring to Lean Finely Textured Beef (so-called 'pink slime'), which I believe McDonalds no longer uses in their burgers but which is, in fact, perfectly good beef?

Yes, I meant Pink Slime.

I will look for sources. My understanding about that came from when I was in my 20s and worked on a cattle ranch. Things may have changed since then.

Could it be that you never had good sources for this opinion, but were merely repeating rumors that you had heard, like those mentioned by the OP?  And that now you are going to go looking for sources to confirm your pre-existing opinion?

No, I don't think so.

The point of my comments contradicts the OP. They are not simply using the inferior cuts of meat for their burgers. If anything they use higher quality cuts. I thought they were using all cuts, but it's probably likely they're not using the inferior cuts that are difficult to separate from the carcass and bones).

As I said I worked at a cattle ranch years ago and was very familiar with the production of beef on an industrial scale.  There were feedlots and slaughter houses whose only customers were McDonalds.

Using every cut of beef for large ground beef production was pretty standard for large scale operations. It's more cost efficient to do that than it is to pay a butcher to carefully separate the cuts.

But now McDonalds is actually separating the lower quality cuts from the higher quality, and using the higher quality.

The "pink slime" thing is just outdated. They stopped using it about 6 years ago. We discussed that here before and I had thought  McDonalds used it still, but no.

It was used in other large scale ground beef operations (public schools, etc.) I don't know if they still do after all the bad press.

Organ meat is not used in McDonalds burgers now, but I believe it used to be.

They probably use offal for their hot dogs and sausages.

It looks like Grant is working for McDonalds these days.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 04:14:19 PM »
Weather they use it or not whats your problem with offal? Its very good for you.

Also when you say "lower quality" what does that mean to you? 

Its not less healthy if anything its more healthy because USA Select (the lowest quality) has less fat. Select, Choice and Prime is about flavor and marbling so yes MD may use lower quality but there is no reason to think its less healthy. (I often have to explain this about raw fish cuts and sushi too, the numbers don't matter for your health)

Grant was hired by McDonalds to disprove all this bullshit. Do you think he lied to get a paycheck? I don't.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 04:28:03 PM »
The point is that you were repeating rumors you’d heard and assumptions you’d made as though they were facts.  And in true CarbShark fashion when you’re called in it you just double down.  I’m not saying that McDonalds never used offal in their burgers; I have no idea whether they did. But neither, though you’ll never admit it, do you.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online CarbShark

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »
Weather they use it or not whats your problem with offal? Its very good for you.

I don't have a problem with it, and didn't say I did. I regularly consume it in sausages and burgers.

Also when you say "lower quality" what does that mean to you? 

Lower quality cuts are the leaner, stringier, tougher cuts.

Its not less healthy if anything its more healthy because USA Select (the lowest quality) has less fat.

I don't buy that at all. Fat is healthy.

Select, Choice and Prime is about flavor and marbling so yes MD may use lower quality but there is no reason to think its less healthy. (I often have to explain this about raw fish cuts and sushi too, the numbers don't matter for your health)

I think you're confusing grades and cuts. Whatever the grade, the relative quality of the cuts is the same.

Grant was hired by McDonalds to disprove all this bullshit. Do you think he lied to get a paycheck? I don't.

I didn't express an opinion on his truthfulness. I do think it's worth noting, so I noted it.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 06:12:36 PM »
The point is that you were repeating rumors you’d heard and assumptions you’d made as though they were facts.  And in true CarbShark fashion when you’re called in it you just double down.  I’m not saying that McDonalds never used offal in their burgers; I have no idea whether they did. But neither, though you’ll never admit it, do you.

OK, we get it, you would rather talk about my conduct on the boards than the actual topic at hand. Fine.

You do not know what double-down actually means.  I did not double down, to double down means to double your bet and let the dealer draw cards hoping they will bust. Even as a metaphor, that does not apply to my post

I clarified, corrected and, in answer to your speculation, explained where I got my understanding of the topic.

So now the issue boils down to did McDonalds use offal in their burgers. I have a pretty good idea that they did, and based on what I knew about the market back then (1980s). But that's not easy to track down.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 12:00:38 AM »
I discovered today that we are out of beef liver.  Damn... I had 10 kgs from last year's home kills.  Might have to buy some from the butcher; always a first time for everything.

Made too much pate.  Liver is natures superfood. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 03:54:07 AM »
I discovered today that we are out of beef liver.  Damn... I had 10 kgs from last year's home kills.  Might have to buy some from the butcher; always a first time for everything.

Made too much pate.  Liver is natures superfood.

My dog doesn’t think much of liver.  She loves chicken hearts and chicken gizzards, but the times I offered her chicken liver, she refused it.

Liver isn’t ‘natures (sic) superfood.’  Too much of it results in hypervitaminosis A, which has resulted in the demise of several polar explorers, including making Douglas Mawson extremely sick, as a result of eating their huskies’ livers.

I prefer to get my vitamin A as beta-carotene in carrots.  The only complication of excessive consumption of carrots is carotenaemia (which results in an orange complexion) - which I’m in danger of, consuming around 500 g a day (I love carrot juice).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

personate-rain
personate-rain