Author Topic: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: The meat in McDonald's burgers can barely be called "beef"....
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2019, 01:18:25 AM »
The system has been well organized from the beginning and designed to not have anyone tripping over each other. Its changed quite a bit over time for modern efficiency.

I miss it when you would go to McDonalds and the food was ready. The modern system is not as flavorful as the old one.

I was a McDonalds crew member in the 80s  We were one of the first locations to receive clamshell grills which cooks the meat on both sides.  The old ones sucked, they had a Teflon sheet that was always falling off and burning you. I could make 16 completed unwrapped cheese/burgers or half as many Big Macs in 1min 30sec (or something close to that).  Quarter Pounders took an extra minute longer for grill times. 

Now they make all the parts separately and put them together as they are ordered. Its slow and the food does not taste as good. A finished cheeseburger needs to sit under the heat lamp for at least 1 minute before it is done and it expires after 10 minutes.  I don't know what the hold time is on the current beef patties but I am betting it is too long in the steam table, the meat tastes dried out. The not-a-cheese is cold and un-melted along with the condiments. There is not enough heat left in the patty to warm everything through and it never hits a heat lamp to steam in the wrapper. The new 1/4pounder and larger sized patties taste much better probably because they can withstand longer hold times but I prefer the smaller size. I'm not completely sure If I have tried the never frozen burger, I don't eat there that much but I think its a gimmick as far as taste is concerned. Wendy's has been pulling it off since forever and I view McDonalds as usually being the cleaner kitchen environment. They probably have less waste with the new system but will now have more waste with fresh burger meat.

Also all the shake machines mysteriously "break" between 5pm and 8pm in my part of town, does anyone else experience this? 

The truth is laziness, I know they have to take it apart, clean it, then put it back together halfway through the day. Then take it apart again at the end of the day and leave it for the morning crew to set up (or continuously cycle if its a 24hr location) Its past whatever time they have to break it down and policy probably says they cant use it until they do so they claim its broken to avoid having to clean it twice.

While its only a dramatization I  recommend watching "The Founder" There is a fantastic segment where the McDonalds brothers draw out the speedy system with chalk on a basketball court and rehearse several setups with a full crew until they get it right.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2019, 11:06:20 AM »
I’ve never eaten there because as I’ve noted elsewhere, the first McDonald’s opened in my neighborhood just a couple of months after I quit eating meat. But what struck me at the time was how small their hamburgers were. They were very thin. Clint’s hamburgers (when I was a kid) were thick. Probably twice as much meat, a thicker bun, and a lot of lettuce and tomato. And if you were a regular, sometimes he’d put two meat patties on instead of just one. (Or maybe he just did that for us because his stand was just down the street from our house.) Even though I had quit eating meat, it saddened me to see people going to faceless, always-the-same, remotely owned and operated eateries and abandoning the one-person owner-operated food stands. It’s the same phenomenon as Walmart killing locally owned businesses, or Starbucks killing locally-owned coffee houses. It’s the depersonalization of commerce, and it lowers the quality of life for the very people who seem to prefer it, as well as for the people who prefer to shop local and lose the local businesses because they can’t compete.

I really think that we were better off when retailers were local and diverse.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2019, 03:52:32 PM »
I’ve never eaten there because as I’ve noted elsewhere, the first McDonald’s opened in my neighborhood just a couple of months after I quit eating meat. But what struck me at the time was how small their hamburgers were. They were very thin. Clint’s hamburgers (when I was a kid) were thick. Probably twice as much meat, a thicker bun, and a lot of lettuce and tomato. And if you were a regular, sometimes he’d put two meat patties on instead of just one. (Or maybe he just did that for us because his stand was just down the street from our house.) Even though I had quit eating meat, it saddened me to see people going to faceless, always-the-same, remotely owned and operated eateries and abandoning the one-person owner-operated food stands. It’s the same phenomenon as Walmart killing locally owned businesses, or Starbucks killing locally-owned coffee houses. It’s the depersonalization of commerce, and it lowers the quality of life for the very people who seem to prefer it, as well as for the people who prefer to shop local and lose the local businesses because they can’t compete.

I really think that we were better off when retailers were local and diverse.

Thicker is not always better. Thinner burgers have a higher caramelized meat ratio.  The best burger place in town serves 2 thin patties and they take all day long to make every single ingredient from scratch. McDs has both options.

Crystal and White Castle have the teeny tiny square ones and some people love them (not me) 

This continues with the threads theme. I believe its Myth that McDonalds destroys local owned restaurants.

First a large number of McDs are Locally owned. The company owns the land and the brand.

We have plenty of burger options, mom and pops, bars, dinners, small local chains, semi national chains, mid level national chains and a long list of national fast food all coexisting.

I'm sure there are locations where Corporate McDs can survive where other restaurants cant because they can afford the loss. They buy back a failed franchise and wait out the local economy until it turns back around.  They own the land.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »
It wasn’t just the thinner patties. It was less of everything. Clint’s had a mountain of toppings as well. Lots of lettuce, tomato, pickles, etc. As noted, I’ve never had McD’s, but I remember that people used to call them gut bombs.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2019, 04:36:36 PM »
It wasn’t just the thinner patties. It was less of everything. Clint’s had a mountain of toppings as well. Lots of lettuce, tomato, pickles, etc. As noted, I’ve never had McD’s, but I remember that people used to call them gut bombs.

Their menus, and quality of food have changed a lot since then.

For example, the quality of their beef is much higher than it used to be.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:53 AM »
So discussion of food preferences is unrelated to restaurants?

Did I say it was?

Yes you did, implicitly.

No, I did not. Not even "implicitly."

You seem to be of the opinion that if somebody doesn't speak up to oppose some opinion, that implies agreement.

Which is really kind of crazy, when you stop to think about it. There are a great many reasons besides tacit agreement, why one might decline to engage with a particular post or claim.

You let it go through when CarbShark claimed that fat is healthy (and hence he prefers it)

I have challenged him many, many times on his dietary claims. After about about a year of pointless bickering, I rarely bother to engage him on that subject anymore because his arguments on that subject seldom lead anywhere productive.

but you objected to my noting that in another thread i was advised by someone else to eat fatty fish for the omega-3 fatty acids despite my expressing a preference to eat only vegetarian food.

I don't recall that exchange. I have little or no opinion about omega-3 fatty acids. Are you sure you're not thinking of jt512?

What’s on topic is very broad and shouldn’t be arbitrarily restricted.  Going off topic can be very useful, opening up new related areas of discussion.

Go back and read the modbox and you'll see that it wasn't arbitrary.  There's a good reason for a rule against dragging personal bickers over from one thread into others. That kind of exchange is seldom useful, and is often annoying for third parties to read through.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:24:17 AM by John Albert »

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2019, 01:33:45 AM »
John Albert,

Yes, it was jt512.  I stated it was someone else.  As I’ve noted, something might be off topic or superfluous, but you’re not forced to read it.  It only takes seconds if that to decide. 

I always read CarbShark’s comments (for amusement) and daniel1948’s (because I think they’re usually sensible).  And others I never read.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
I generally don't like the big chain sit down restaurants like TGIF or Chili's. Traveling I do appreciate Starbucks. I know I'll find a clean bathroom and a decent cup of coffee until I figured out the local situation. I might even find someone with English skills if I'm in Asia. Fast food, it's mostly chains in Canada. There's a trend of indie burger joints, although many of those have become small local chains. One thing I lived about Singapore is mall food courts were never the same 12 chains like you find in Canadian malls. Every Singapore food court has a unique mix of restaurants.

McDonald's is okay when traveling abroad for the bathrooms and WiFi. It's fun too, to find the local exotic items they have on the menu.

Interestingly McDonald's have become providers of social services for a lot of communities. They're a place where you can use a bathroom, get internet you might not be able to afford at home, a place where a single parent can take their kids and let them play for 2 hours in a playland and unwind over a $2 coffee/muffin deal. It's a place where retired people can congregate.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/08/mcdonalds-community-centers-us-physical-social-networks
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:11 AM »
I generally don't like the big chain sit down restaurants like TGIF or Chili's. Traveling I do appreciate Starbucks. I know I'll find a clean bathroom and a decent cup of coffee until I figured out the local situation. I might even find someone with English skills if I'm in Asia. Fast food, it's mostly chains in Canada. There's a trend of indie burger joints, although many of those have become small local chains. One thing I lived about Singapore is mall food courts were never the same 12 chains like you find in Canadian malls. Every Singapore food court has a unique mix of restaurants.

McDonald's is okay when traveling abroad for the bathrooms and WiFi. It's fun too, to find the local exotic items they have on the menu.

Interestingly McDonald's have become providers of social services for a lot of communities. They're a place where you can use a bathroom, get internet you might not be able to afford at home, a place where a single parent can take their kids and let them play for 2 hours in a playland and unwind over a $2 coffee/muffin deal. It's a place where retired people can congregate.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/08/mcdonalds-community-centers-us-physical-social-networks

Yeah, that’s about the only thing that McDonalds is good for, in my opinion.  The McDonalds in the Arbat in Moscow was once a lifesaver for me.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »
... One thing I [liked] about Singapore is mall food courts were never the same 12 chains like you find in Canadian malls. Every Singapore food court has a unique mix of restaurants. ...

Mexico is like that also. The mercados have lots of food stands run by one or two people. They can serve you a plate of food as fast as you can ask for it, and being Mexico the food is always great. And no two places are exactly alike, though they all have the basic Mexican standards.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
I always like to check out the local McD's menu myself for that very reason.  Sure, there's pretty much always a Big Mac of some sort but often crappy version of the local cuisine too. 

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2019, 06:10:09 PM »
The new McDonald's University is located in Chicago's West Loop neighborhood, which is known for haute "foodie" establishments. The main street entrance leads into a "Global Menu" McDonald's restaurant. Each week they feature a different set of 2 or 3 items from around the world. They don't publicize which are on the menu at any given time, so you have to just go in blind and check for yourself.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:13:43 PM by John Albert »

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Armageddon Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2019, 06:06:48 PM »
Well, this seems relevant.
https://thetakeout.com/usda-pink-slime-meat-beef-lean-finely-textured-1832561890

Carbshark will be delighted to hear this, I'm sure:
In December 2018, the United States Department Of Agriculture’s Food Safety And Inspection Service quietly reclassified “lean finely textured beef,” which some deride as “pink slime,” as “ground beef.”

Not related to the pink slime thing, but this bit seemed weird to me:
(…) saying it will make consumers nervous about beef products and could even open the door for lab-grown or cell-based meat to be labeled ground beef.
Um, yeah? Of course it's ground beef. What the hell else would it be?
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
https://thetakeout.com/usda-pink-slime-meat-beef-lean-finely-textured-1832561890

In December 2018, the United States Department Of Agriculture’s Food Safety And Inspection Service quietly reclassified “lean finely textured beef,” which some deride as “pink slime,” as “ground beef.”

(…) saying it will make consumers nervous about beef products and could even open the door for lab-grown or cell-based meat to be labeled ground beef.
What is the exact opposite of delighted?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2019, 07:34:15 PM »

What is the exact opposite of delighted?

‘Deboarded’ is the exact opposite of ‘boarded,’ so perhaps ‘lighted’ is the direct opposite of ‘delighted?’

personate-rain