Author Topic: amazon prime credit card a good idea?  (Read 511 times)

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
amazon prime credit card a good idea?
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/amazon-prime-rewards

I checked and Ispent abotu 1600 dollars at amazon in the last year.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/amazon-prime-rewards

this card gives you five percent at amazon and 2 percent at gas.

I already subscribe to prime so it seems like a no brainer but myskeptic brain feels like there must be a catch.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: amazon prime credit card a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:26:51 PM »
As with most credit cards, as long as you reap the rewards without incurring the negatives (read: interest on balance or a fee for the card) you would be fine.

If you pay it in full before your statement every month, you would not incur any interest, and if there is a fee, as long as the 2% outweighs it, it is still a net positive for you.

Offline Zed

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:20:06 PM »
I've had one since 2012 (though it was called something else back when I first opened the account). I use it for all of my amazon purchases, and the 5% cash back is great. You can even apply the cash back amount directly from your amazon account when placing an order. I travel out of the country a lot (I'm in the US), and there's also the bonus of the card having no foreign transaction fees.

I think there are two cons. First, it has a high APR (at least for me). I have a credit score that falls that's in the "excellent" FICO category and a decent income, and my APR has steadily gone up from 17.99% in 2012 up to my current 23.49%. They refuse to lower it even when I call, even though I have no missed payments, always pay off balances in full within 2 months, and have had increasing income since 2012. Second, I find the credit limit too small sometimes (mine is $2,800). I have requested increases twice since I've had the card, and they only increased by hundreds of dollars each time. This may not matter to some, though. But when traveling, I have come close to maxing the card.

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »
I've had one since 2012 (though it was called something else back when I first opened the account). I use it for all of my amazon purchases, and the 5% cash back is great. You can even apply the cash back amount directly from your amazon account when placing an order. I travel out of the country a lot (I'm in the US), and there's also the bonus of the card having no foreign transaction fees.

I think there are two cons. First, it has a high APR (at least for me). I have a credit score that falls that's in the "excellent" FICO category and a decent income, and my APR has steadily gone up from 17.99% in 2012 up to my current 23.49%. They refuse to lower it even when I call, even though I have no missed payments, always pay off balances in full within 2 months, and have had increasing income since 2012. Second, I find the credit limit too small sometimes (mine is $2,800). I have requested increases twice since I've had the card, and they only increased by hundreds of dollars each time. This may not matter to some, though. But when traveling, I have come close to maxing the card.

I was trying to research the card and your experience seems to match others. they are quite draconian about regulating the card.  People have complained a lot about false positive fraud detection, and strict enforcement of policies.  But since I already am using Prime and I could just set this as my amazon only card it seems like a good idea.  I think I'll do it.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:53:53 PM »
Or you could stop giving Amazon all your money and cancel Prime. Because they are assholes who are destroying labor and the economy at large. There are other places that sell goods and services.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:02:15 PM »
Or you could stop giving Amazon all your money and cancel Prime. Because they are assholes who are destroying labor and the economy at large. There are other places that sell goods and services.

I was just thinking how on one hand you can't consume ethically under capitalism, but on the other hand F Amazon and Bezos and his cult of billionaredom.

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 07:51:19 PM »
ethics is just a man made system of rules!  I want my 70 dollar amazon gift card!

personate-rain
personate-rain