Author Topic: "Canada ranked #1 country in the world for Quality of Life"  (Read 7313 times)

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: "Canada ranked #1 country in the world for Quality of Life"
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2019, 11:15:54 PM »
Depends on where you live. In places with robust social safety nets and health care you have options you don't have in the US.

As long as you are willing to wait for your health care.

You only wait for elective surgery and non-life threatening (There is no wait if you have health insurance)

For any other procedure, essential surgery, rehabilitation, hospital tests (XRays, MRIs etc), pathology (blood tests etc), GP visits etc there is no wait (and no cost, other than the 2% I pay with my taxes.)

OHIP (the Ontario Health Insurance Plan) has a real problem with wait times for procedures that are not life-threatening, but which fuck up your life. Kidney stones that cause debilitating pain might take years to deal with. A friend has a 6 month wait for surgery to correct a pelvic wall hernia that closes off her ureter - because the catheter/stent means she won't die, even if she can no longer work, has shitty quality of life, and is at higher risk of a bunch of complications.

Yeah, so not perfect by any means.

Yes there are the odd horror stories here as well, but for most who can't afford health insurance the safety net of medicare is an overall net benefit.

There are drugs and treatments available for free or minimal cost, that would cost 100s of thousands of dollars normally. Poor people here would literally die, and/or have a worse quality of life, without Medicare and the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2019, 12:46:28 AM »
Depends on where you live. In places with robust social safety nets and health care you have options you don't have in the US.

You only wait for elective surgery and non-life threatening (There is no wait if you have health insurance)

For any other procedure, essential surgery, rehabilitation, hospital tests (XRays, MRIs etc), pathology (blood tests etc), GP visits etc there is no wait (and no cost, other than the 2% I pay with my taxes.)

OHIP (the Ontario Health Insurance Plan) has a real problem with wait times for procedures that are not life-threatening, but which fuck up your life. Kidney stones that cause debilitating pain might take years to deal with. A friend has a 6 month wait for surgery to correct a pelvic wall hernia that closes off her ureter - because the catheter/stent means she won't die, even if she can no longer work, has shitty quality of life, and is at higher risk of a bunch of complications.

Yes there are the odd horror stories here as well, but for most who can't afford health insurance the safety net of medicare is an overall net benefit.

There are drugs and treatments available for free or minimal cost, that would cost 100s of thousands of dollars normally. Poor people here would literally die, and/or have a worse quality of life, without Medicare and the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme)

Mostly we're in that sort of situation here. But it's still a shitshow for a huge range of degrading, painful, debilitating conditions.

My cancer surgery was rammed through in weeks - mostly taking that long because I had to heal before the next assault. My buddy with the stones? Four years before it was finally dealt with.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2019, 01:44:13 PM »

Your system at least sounds more rational than ours. Over here, there have been cases of people dying in queues.

About 10% of the adult population here also has private health insurance, in most cases paid for by the employer.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2019, 06:46:00 AM »
Here in the Land of the Free, I have to spend thousands of dollars out of pocket per year just to be able to regularly see a doctor and a dentist.

And I don't even have children.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »
Here in the Land of the Free, I have to spend thousands of dollars out of pocket per year just to be able to regularly see a doctor and a dentist.

My health insurance doesn't even cover dentistry. That's 100% out of my pocket. Fortunately, Los Angeles was fluoridating the water when I was growing up, and I have pretty good teeth.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »

Ah, but you're free to not see the doctor!
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »

My health insurance doesn't even cover dentistry. That's 100% out of my pocket. Fortunately, Los Angeles was fluoridating the water when I was growing up, and I have pretty good teeth.

Australia is usually held up as a model for universal medical coverage, but even our system doesn't cover dentists.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2019, 02:50:32 AM »

Australia is usually held up as a model for universal medical coverage, but even our system doesn't cover dentists.

or optometry. Those are the 2 big ones that you really need health insurance for.

Luckily you can get insurance that covers just those 2 (Optometry and Dentistry)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2019, 04:52:52 AM »
In Norway those aren't covered routinely either (dentistry is free until you're 19). But there are circumstances where you can get partial coverage, such as more complicated wisdom teeth removals. Visiting eye doctors is part of general medical expenses where you only have to pay up to a minimum amount per year. So I don't think there's much to save on having private insurance, when the public system acts as an insurance program.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
I think my insurance covers optometry, as well as two pairs of glasses a year, or maybe that's one pair of glasses every two years. Yeah, probably the latter.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »
Almost certainly 1 checkup per 24 months, with associcated prescription change up to $300-$500 depending.

My wife just got coverage here in Canadia and I'm going through the option to see what's worth taking and what we should just pay out of pocket. Dental is looking like the good deal given our ages.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain