5 (18.5%)
Heavily nerdy
7 (25.9%)
All-out nerd
10 (37%)
Other
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Would you consider yourself a nerd?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Would you consider yourself a nerd?
« on: February 05, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
The SGU rogues are proud self-proclaimed nerds. Or at least the boys, if I'm not mistaken, Cara is a bit less into it. References abound, and at least once when they discussed recent passings in science and skepticism (clearly relevant to the podcast), they also discussed recent passings in science fiction (maybe not so relevant to the podcast). Not often, but sometimes, I wonder if they when looking back would have preferred to start a nerd culture podcast, rather than a skeptical podcast. They do get to live that out in their other podcast though.

Would you consider yourself a nerd?

My "nerd credibility" would not be very big. I am a sucker for Lord of the Rings. That entire world really, not just centered on the fellowship members that the books and subsequent movies focus on. I loved Star Wars as a kid. Now as an adult, I think they are good movies absolutely, but I think that universe lacks the depth of the LotR universe, it doens't captivate me as strongly. As a kid and teenager I was also an avid gamer, but not necessarily focused on games centered on science fiction or fantasy. I sure played such games, but certainly not only such games. As an adult, I'd love to play more computer games, but on weekdays after working I am simply too tired, and on weekends I have other chores (like doing laundry), so these times I play computer games occasionally on weekends. And of course not narrowly focused on science fiction or fanasy.

I am deeply interested in history, especially ancient history. Had there been a job market for it, I'd have loved to study it at university. But that is typically not considered a nerdy interest in the classical sense.

What about you?

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Would you consider yourself a nerd?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
I'm both a traditional 1970s-1980s "there are no social positives only social negatives" nerd, and a modern "nerds are cool" nerd.

Teacher's pet, math genius, dungeons and dragons, reading for (gasp!) fun, star wars toys, all of it.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »
I was voted "most intellectual" in high school.
I've read all of the Dune books, the originals before leaving highschool, and even like the Lynch Movie.
I've even read the Silmarillon.

While watching Rick and Morty, I noted the reference to Zardoz on an episode and I"m proud to have introduced my wife to the image of Sean Connery in whatever the hell that was he was wearing in the movie.

I also have an interest in history and ancient history in particular. 

I've believed that Pluto was not a planet Since the discovery of the Kuiper Belt. 

I've never liked Star Wars much on account of it being fantasy in Sci Fi Clothing.

Edit to add, I attended a Dr Who convention in Junior High. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:25:40 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
*Love science and science-fiction, knows all five Captains of the Enterprise in order as well as the classes of all six Enterprises shown in the series and movies.

*Had a collection of over seventeen thousand comics and now has several hard cover reprint volumes of classics comics.   Knows what the acronym SHAZAM means and can recite the Green Lantern oath from memory

*Hundreds of SF paperbacks and hardcovers, knows Asimov's Three Laws of robotics and Clarke's Law, been to over 50 SF conventions. Dozens of books on Ancient Rome, American Civil War, WWI and WWII.

*No interest in sports, picked on in school, 56 years old and still has never had a girlfriend (last date was in July 1999), wears glasses, has cat, watches Jeopardy every night (plays with cat and loses).

Yeah, I'm a frakin' nerd.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
Dozens of books on Ancient Rome, American Civil War, WWI and WWII.

Is interest in history considered nerdy? I didn't know that. Can someone please clarify? The whole concept of "nerd" is somewhat vague.

No interest in sports, picked on in school

Yep, that is me too.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »
Moderately for me.

I haven't kept up with any randoms in a while, so I lack the deep knowledge of certain Sci-Fi or other nerdy ventures, but my tastes still swing to the classical "nerd" varieties.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:26:30 PM »
Dozens of books on Ancient Rome, American Civil War, WWI and WWII.

Is interest in history considered nerdy? I didn't know that. Can someone please clarify? The whole concept of "nerd" is somewhat vague.

No interest in sports, picked on in school

Yep, that is me too.

Actually, I've found being interested in ANYTHING other than sports, booze, pot, and reality TV makes you a nerd. I listed my history interest mainly because you included it in yours.  My love of history was sparked in my second year of High School when I took History of European Nations for a semester. The class was taught by a teacher VERY passionate about subject and who ranks as my favorite af all the teachers I ever had (saddens me to think he's probably dead now). Also I was reading Lord of the Rings for the first time that same fall and things just went CLICK in my head and I've loved history ever since. I was Dan Carlin before anyone knew who he was, lol.   

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
I'd be a damn liar if I refused to admit to being a nerd. I'm way into science, history, politics, sci-fi and fantasy, video games, TTRPGs, non-mainstream music, and other oddball niche interests.

But at the same time I'm a bit annoyed about the word "nerd" becoming so overused as a bullshit marketing term. All of a sudden everybody wants to self-identify as being part of "nerd culture," which nowadays means little more than being a fan of pop culture stuff like comic books, Star Trek and Star Wars. Meanwhile, all those old school "nerd" entertainment franchises are being reworked and dumbed down to appeal to mainstream audiences, to the point where they're scarcely recognizable anymore. It's getting to the point where I'm finding it hard to even give a shit about that stuff anymore.

Does that make me less of a nerd, or even more nerdy?

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • Fear & Loathing.
    • Me.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 01:03:09 AM »
I am a nerd by comparison to the public at large. If I were to instead compare myself to the level of nerdiness possessed by the rogues, I am a jock. :D

But at the same time I'm a bit annoyed about the word "nerd" becoming so overused as a bullshit marketing term. All of a sudden everybody wants to self-identify as being part of "nerd culture," which nowadays means little more than being a fan of pop culture stuff like comic books, Star Trek and Star Wars. Meanwhile, all those old school "nerd" entertainment franchises are being reworked and dumbed down to appeal to mainstream audiences, to the point where they're scarcely recognizable anymore. It's getting to the point where I'm finding it hard to even give a shit about that stuff anymore.

(click to show/hide)

This. Anymore it seems half the hot female celebrity population is in fact nerds because they logged into World of Warcraft once.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:07:12 AM by Bill K »
"We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
I have this on my pantry door:

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »
There does seem to have been some cultural appropriation of the term, changing how the word is used more than changing how people are treated/regarded.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
All out nerd. I get all the nerd references and if you don't like it the Boba Fett figure on my desk will blast you. Right now He is holding Lego Spock hostage while Cyclops is dancing behind them..
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 12:26:35 PM »
All out nerd. I get all the nerd references and if you don't like it the Boba Fett figure on my desk will blast you. Right now He is holding Lego Spock hostage while Cyclops is dancing behind them..

Haha at my desk I have a Warhammer Orc that I painted myself and is autographed by Wil Wheaton.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
I asked someone the other day if they had seen Firefly, and they said no, and I blinked like 5 times while trying to process how that could be possible.  He didn't even know who Nathan Fillion was.  I guess my attitude about this matter says more about me than about him.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 01:37:07 PM »
I haven't watched Firefly and haven't watched Dr. Who since the 80's. Not that I don't want to but because I don't watch much TV unless I am spending time with my wife that does like watching TV. I consider myself a nerd but mostly because I am into stuff like the Society for Create Anachronism and I just finished reading through the Belgariad for the 4th time. I have a staunch opinion on the fact that 2nd Edition AD&D was the best and that Shadowrun sucks. I still talk about how life changing it was when I first played Dragonwarrior on the NES and how I filled the map of Ultima 3 with treasure chests as a kid. I also post on a damn message board dedicated to science and skepticism.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

personate-rain