5 (18.5%)
Heavily nerdy
7 (25.9%)
All-out nerd
10 (37%)
Other
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Would you consider yourself a nerd?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Would you consider yourself a nerd?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »
Actually, I've found being interested in ANYTHING other than sports, booze, pot, and reality TV makes you a nerd.

Oh, I didnt know. In that case, I certainly fit the bill.

I listed my history interest mainly because you included it in yours.

Yeah, but I wasn't sure it was part of the nerd universe.

My love of history was sparked in my second year of High School when I took History of European Nations for a semester.

I was interested in it as a child. My parents bought me books for kids about Swedish history. As a young teenager I also loved historical novels. When I played computer games, I played quite a lot of history-based games, like the Age of Empires games, the Total War games, and the Sierra city-building games.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
I'm extremely interested in math, science, history, literature, politics, and current events. On the other hand, I have no interest in nerd pop culture (sci-fi, fantasy, video games, comic books, superheroes, etc.). I don't know whether this combination of things qualifies me as a nerd or not. I'd be curious to hear what you all think.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 04:23:58 AM »
I have a tattoo of a d20 on my forearm.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 06:47:03 AM »
There does seem to have been some cultural appropriation of the term, changing how the word is used more than changing how people are treated/regarded.
"Revenge of the Nerds" movie. Before that I had rarely heard the term.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
I'm extremely interested in math, science, history, literature, politics, and current events. On the other hand, I have no interest in nerd pop culture (sci-fi, fantasy, video games, comic books, superheroes, etc.). I don't know whether this combination of things qualifies me as a nerd or not. I'd be curious to hear what you all think.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm not really interested in math though (hated the subject in school). I think sci-fi and fantasy can be good. I read Donald Duck (that entire world really, including uncle Scrooge, who I think is the funniest character) comics as a kid, probably the only sort of comics I would have some interest in. No interest in superheroes.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »
OT I suppose, but those old Carl Barks Donald Duck comics from the 70s are some of the finest comics ever produced.  I've only been able to get my hands on a small number of them, but they were fantastic.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 03:02:13 PM »
I recall liking some of Don Rosa's stories about uncle Scrooge's travels and adventures around the world.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 04:26:21 PM »
There does seem to have been some cultural appropriation of the term, changing how the word is used more than changing how people are treated/regarded.

It was used quite a bit in the TV show Happy Days, but was using the more 1950's meaning of being square and uncool.

Seems I am the lone "No, Not at all" so far.
I have a wide variety of interests, and can be somewhat introverted at times, played D&D in the early 80s, but never considered myself a nerd.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »
I have a tattoo of a d20 on my forearm.

Many years ago, I was talking about D12 with a friend. It took us several minutes to recognize that I was talking about the rap group, while he was talking about a 12-sided die.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
I think at some point respect was earned by all the main characters in Fonzies eyes but this is a pretty good description of what a nerd was early in the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonzie

Fonzie regards Richie's two best friends, Ralph Malph and Potsie Webber, as nerds; largely because of their willingness to do virtually anything to fit in. Because Richie doesn't compromise his principles as easily and sticks to what he believes is right, Fonzie doesn't subject Richie to this kind of treatment, and over time, grows fond of him.

It was a continuing theme that people who were considered to be nerds turned out not to be nerds and eventually got a thumbs up AAaaayyy!
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 01:25:22 PM »

It was used quite a bit in the TV show Happy Days, but was using the more 1950's meaning of being square and uncool.

Seems I am the lone "No, Not at all" so far.
I have a wide variety of interests, and can be somewhat introverted at times, played D&D in the early 80s, but never considered myself a nerd.
nerd noun

Definition of nerd
: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person
especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nerd

I never considered myself a nerd, and was shocked when once an intern loudly exclaimed, "You'r a nerd", after I had a long detailed conversation with another intern about a computer issue.  What you are seems to depend on what somebody thinks nerd means.

This intern clearly saw nerd, because they didn't know about my career as a rock star, much less my long and sordid history with women.   Words, when flexible and nebulous in character, become almost meaningless.   One can be a nerd to some, and quite something else to others.  I certainly consider myself a nerd, but not just a nerd.

I consider myself a Renaissance man, and that includes nerd activities and devotion to nerd pastimes.  (chess, video games, comics, graphic novels, Star wars/Star Trek/LOTR/Walking Dead/SciFi and more).  One might consider Bill Gates a nerd, but I do not.  I've heard him play guitar, speak about his vision of the future, and he is so much more than a nerd.

Obviously my post is nerdy, mores the pity.
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »
I certainly consider myself a nerd, but not just a nerd.

I'm pretty much just a nerd.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »
Based on 25 years of online interactions, and pretty much based on just experience, almost everybody who still posts on BBs style internet is a nerd.  The non nerds use Twitter.
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 06:02:18 PM »
Based on 25 years of online interactions, and pretty much based on just experience, almost everybody who still posts on BBs style internet is a nerd.  The non nerds use Twitter.
What if you use both?

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »
What if you use both?

NEEEEEEEEEEERD
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada