Author Topic: Water treatment plant  (Read 370 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Water treatment plant
« on: February 05, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
I got to tour a water treatment and waste water treatment plant today.  It was really cool.

I especially enjoyed the waste water treatment plant (ie. the de-poopinator).  It's all bacteria-based, which is super cool.  Three separate bacteria stages, to get rid of organics, ammonia, and phosphorus.

They also have drilled gas wells into an old landfill, to harvest methane, which they run some huge generators on.  Also super cool.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Water treatment plant
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
I like across the street from the R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant. It pulls in fresh water from Lake Ontario through pipes that go out about 2km. The waste water treatment is at the other end of the beach, maybe 5km away. The waterworks I live beside can supply over 4 million people by itself if needed. Also, it's gorgeous.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
It's interesting times at this plant.  They already service our city of 70-ish thousand, and a small town (2000-ish) about 20km away, and are in the process of adding another small town (also 2000-ish) 20km in the other direction.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
I design water and wastewater treatment plants.  Its as glamorous as it sounds, I've been knee deep in shit before. 

Also, entirely bacteria based, what did they use to remove the solids? 

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
Well, I should say that the only things they add are bacteria, air, and water.  They use filters and centrifuges and such for physical separation.

As opposed to the water side, where they have 3 or 4 different chemical tanks that they inject from at various points.

The operator gave a VERY good tour.  Talked loud, knew his shit (haha), etc.  A couple well rehearsed jokes about corn.  That sort of thing.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 04:14:29 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I was more interested in the generators hahahahaha.  We don't get to do much medium-voltage stuff in oil and gas (we generate at 480V), and this was the largest generator I've seen in real life (1.5MW - my previous highest was 333kW).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
Fair enough, I'd have been more interested in the concrete, steel, and aluminum bits myself.  Its pretty unusual for the water and wastewater plants to be co-located.  Aside from the obvious ook factor, they're usually at the opposite ends of town for practical reasons, shit roles down hill after all.   I assume this is a relatively flat location?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:56:26 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »
I design water and wastewater treatment plants.  Its as glamorous as it sounds, I've been knee deep in shit before. 

Also, entirely bacteria based, what did they use to remove the solids? 

I’ve been covered in shit, cow shit that is, when I worked on the dairy farm. We didn’t treat the shit. We just hauled it out to the field and spread it around. Old fashioned manure spreader for the solid and semi-solid stuff, throws it mostly out the back, but some of it goes in all directions. And a honey wagon for the water and shit mixture from hosing down the milk parlor. Mostly we grew corn and hay for the cows.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I was more interested in the generators hahahahaha.  We don't get to do much medium-voltage stuff in oil and gas (we generate at 480V), and this was the largest generator I've seen in real life (1.5MW - my previous highest was 333kW).

I toured a hydroelectric dam once, at Revelstoke, B.C., Canada. It was pretty cool.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 07:11:42 PM »

I toured a hydroelectric dam once, at Revelstoke, B.C., Canada. It was pretty cool.

Oh, snap, I completely forgot that I toured the generation site at Hoover Dam.  That was back before I knew what any of it was, so it didn't stick in my memory.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
Fair enough, I'd have been more interested in the concrete, steel, and aluminum bits myself.  Its pretty unusual for the water and wastewater plants to be co-located.  Aside from the obvious ook factor, they're usually at the opposite ends of town for practical reasons, shit roles down hill after all.   I assume this is a relatively flat location?

Suuuper flat. 

They have to pump river water up from the river valley with these huge 900hp transfer pumps (huge to me, the biggest water transfer pumps I see in O&G facilities are 500hp).

The water, waste water, and landfill are all fairly close together.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada