Author Topic: Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop to become Netflix TV show  (Read 839 times)

Offline bahead

• Off to a Start
Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop to become Netflix TV show
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »
Netflix's recent price increase wasn't enough to make me cancel the service, but this might be the breaking point.

"If eating according to the colours of the rainbow and steaming your vagina is just the kind of health advice you crave, get ready. Goop, the new-age lifestyle website of Oscar-winning actor Gwyneth Paltrow, will soon be coming to Netflix, according to reports.

Paltrow and Goop’s chief content officer Elise Loehnen are expected to host a new Goop documentary series, as yet untitled, which is due to start streaming later this year. The 30-minute episodes will reportedly feature doctors, researchers and alternative health practitioners, and other experts on topics of interest to the Goop community."

Full story - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/05/gwyneth-paltrows-goop-to-become-netflix-tv-show

My wife has already called Netflix Canada to complain, and all the customer rep told her was "It's gonna happen" (a direct quote).   Cancelling our Netflix subscription is gonna happen too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:47:33 PM by bahead »

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
Re: Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop to become Netflix TV show
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »
This would be a good time for Penn and Teller to revive their Bullshit show.  I also hope John Oliver does a show about it.  And Adam Ruins Everything.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline bahead

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »
And I hope Netflix creates a special "Pseudoscience & Health Quackery" category for it.  They can add in a number of the other crap "documentaries" they stream as well.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
Sadly, More people are likely to sign up to Netflix because of Goop, than are likely to cancel their subscription.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 02:44:09 PM »
I will not be cancelling my netflix on account of it.  Sadly, it will be hard for me to resist watching an episode even.  Trainwrecks and all.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »
I will not be cancelling my netflix on account of it.  Sadly, it will be hard for me to resist watching an episode even.  Trainwrecks and all.

OT a bit, but this isn't even a hint of a temptation for me.  I'll never run out of things I want to see, such that I'll watch something I don't want to see.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »
So Netflix wants to kill people for money.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 05:31:17 PM »
If you are really too curious to resist (Im sure they are justbas happy to get hate views and this will factor into future deals for Paltrow) might I suggest an illegal stream?
Lets really try to not support quackery?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 07:50:59 AM »
This won't budge my subscription. I'd just ignore it, like most of the similar stuff. I am more annoyed with everyone and their grandmother setting up an independent streaming service, forcing me to subscribe to Disney to get my Disney fix.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 12:13:57 PM »
This won't budge my subscription. I'd just ignore it, like most of the similar stuff. I am more annoyed with everyone and their grandmother setting up an independent streaming service, forcing me to subscribe to Disney to get my Disney fix.
I very much agree.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 12:43:49 PM »
I have yet to get into Netflix due to their support of geoblocking, and I would've quit when they started testing the waters with ads.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »
I have yet to get into Netflix due to their support of geoblocking, and I would've quit when they started testing the waters with ads.
They have ads?  I've never noticed one. 

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
They don't, AFAIK, but they were testing out some kind of adding-stuff-you-didn't-ask-for-to-the-content-you-asked-for scheme, which apparently people could opt out of, but the only appropriate feedback in my case would've been to cancel my subscription.

I don't know what happened later as there are no recent articles about it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:59:11 PM by 2397 »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »
If Gwen wants to steam clean her vagina on netflix who am I to complain.

I'm sure if another celebrity wants to produce an anti vagina steaming documentary Netflix would be willing to show it.
I would like to see more skeptical content on Netflix but they already have more than most other services and I can choose what to watch.

I would absolutely love to see more P&T "Bullshit" or at least something with that much attitude.
Adam Ruins reruns are on Netflix, perhaps he will bust some of the goop stuff if he hasn't already.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 06:05:19 PM »
If Gwen wants to steam clean her vagina on netflix who am I to complain.

I'm sure if another celebrity wants to produce an anti vagina steaming documentary Netflix would be willing to show it.
I would like to see more skeptical content on Netflix but they already have more than most other services and I can choose what to watch.

I would absolutely love to see more P&T "Bullshit" or at least something with that much attitude.
Adam Ruins reruns are on Netflix, perhaps he will bust some of the goop stuff if he hasn't already.
You may not have a problem with her bs but I certainly do. She already has a body count attached to her brand and giving her more reach is objectively bad.
I love Adam Conover but if the last couple of decades of skepticism has shown us anything its that debunking does not have nearly the reach or impact of woo.

Regulation is certainly desirable here. But private tech empires...whatayagonnado?