Author Topic: U.K. Pi(e)s  (Read 396 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
U.K. Pi(e)s
« on: February 10, 2019, 02:48:33 PM »
Every once in a while I get jealous of another country.
I'm lucky to have a Microcenter near where I live which has a great  small electronics section but the idea of an Apple like Raspberry Pi store gets me very excited.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/07/the-raspberry-pi-store-is-much-cooler-than-an-apple-store/?utm_source=tcfbpage&sr_share=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2APXdO2qtKudE5WK4BC5cGqNYPN0Chj1mBbhoFxZw2ItlYPFlWjmD-quo

The Raspberry  Pi Foundation just unveiled a brand new project — an actual store. If you live in Cambridge in the U.K., you can now buy a bunch of sweet Raspberry Pis with which to tinker and develop some cool stuff.

I would hope there is a place close by where you can get meat pies to get the full British Pi(e) experience during a visit.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: U.K. Pi(e)s
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
Aww. I thought this was going to be about meat pies.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »
I was hoping for Apple pies. But that’s okay. I have 3/4 of a half pie I bought yesterday. I’ll have another slice today.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:04:20 PM »
Every once in a while I get jealous of another country.
I'm lucky to have a Microcenter near where I live which has a great  small electronics section but the idea of an Apple like Raspberry Pi store gets me very excited.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/07/the-raspberry-pi-store-is-much-cooler-than-an-apple-store/?utm_source=tcfbpage&sr_share=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2APXdO2qtKudE5WK4BC5cGqNYPN0Chj1mBbhoFxZw2ItlYPFlWjmD-quo

The Raspberry  Pi Foundation just unveiled a brand new project — an actual store. If you live in Cambridge in the U.K., you can now buy a bunch of sweet Raspberry Pis with which to tinker and develop some cool stuff.

I would hope there is a place close by where you can get meat pies to get the full British Pi(e) experience during a visit.

Thanks for sharing. I'm a Pi enthusiast, but I don't fit the mold very well, as I don't really care about physical computing nor coding. I am keen to get better at Linux though and move away from Windows PCs (Apple too, if I can swing it). I'm hoping I'm on my last PC. My desktop tower is something like 8.5 yrs old. My backup is a 6 yr old Dell laptop that now runs Raspberry Pi Desktop.

MicroCenter ... nerd paradise. Nearest one to me is 100mi, but it's kind of dumpy IMO. An excellent one is near where my son attends college. There's online of course, too.

There's a video online with a time lapse of the building of the Cambridge store. Pretty neat. The video you linked is amusing to me in that although it has an Apple-store-like feel, there's still the tangle of wires to and from the pi and keyboard/mouse/monitor. That's where the elegance ends, but that doesn't bother some of us.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »
It does sound like a hobby I might be interested in one day, but I have no idea where to start. And more importantly no real clue as to what I would create with it. I've read articles along the lines of "top 10 raspberry pi projects" but none of them appeal to me.

What do people here do with their Pis?

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »
It does sound like a hobby I might be interested in one day, but I have no idea where to start. And more importantly no real clue as to what I would create with it. I've read articles along the lines of "top 10 raspberry pi projects" but none of them appeal to me.

What do people here do with their Pis?

As implied in my post, I feel similarly to you w/r/t RPi projects. It's intended for CS education, and it is extremely well-suited to that role.

For me, the Pi is literally a backup computer and I have set it up so that I can do nearly everything my desktop can do, including wireless printing, web, email, LibreOffice suite (writer, calc, impress), PDFs, jpg editing, mp3 of music and podcasts, password manager, etc etc. A desktop replacement is my goal. There are two main obstacles at this point to fully replicating my current desktop functionality:

• Scanning. My flatbed scanner is a 13-yr-old Epson workhorse, Perfection 3590. I use it almost daily, but I've not yet gotten it to work in Linux, and not sure that it can. It's possible a newer model will have a driver for Linux, but I'm not certain of that.
  • Extensive web browsing. The conventional wisdom is that the Pi is not optimally designed for lots of web browsing. The Pi's 1GB RAM and flash-based storage can be a weakness for browsing speed (random i/o, swap) and, for some cards, longevity. This can be largely overcome with external SSD or HDD, connected by USB. In fact, it can now boot from USB, but that's kind of clunky and perfecting such a setup is tricky to do well. That said, I have used it for web browsing just fine and it's not that slow using Chromium. It's wise to minimize the number of open browser tabs.

3 years ago Christopher Barnatt of Explaining Computers did a YT video of how he fared using a Raspberry Pi 2 as his only computer for a week. Caution: some of the specifics of what Raspbian and the Pi can and can't do is outdated (it's much more capable now, since the release of the 3B and 3B+, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Specifications) but the general takeaway is that he got along just fine.

So anyway that's what I'm doing with it. I have taken it when traveling and hooked it up via HDMI to a hotel TV as a monitor and used it as a regular computer. I've set it up as a streaming media player. I've brought it to a meeting at which I gave a presentation, and ran the presentation slideshow from the pi (unbeknownst to the audience, until the end).

It's also my only computer that is not at risk of the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities (which is becoming a whole class of vulnerabilities), since its chip does not use speculative execution. So that's something in its favor. It's a true general purpose computer that YOU control, rather than one that phones home with telemetry, updates on its own and sometimes breaks stuff or removes functionality, etc etc. It's your job to get under the hood and figure out how to make it do what you want it to do.

And frankly, IMO they're doing a lot of good in the educational world, and I'd probably buy one even if I had nothing to do with it. But I'd love for it to be my desktop replacement someday, and an older Pi will be my backup. Whether I can live within its limitations is an open question, but I would like for it to work out. It's the computer equivalent of a Tiny House.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
What do you use as the browser for the Pi?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
Chromium, the open-source version of Chrome.

In my experience, the Pi could not run Firefox as well as I'd like, but that would have been my preference.

Web browsing has become very resource hungry ... it's tough on the Pi. With Chromium, it's quite acceptable. Not quite as much with FF.

I do wonder if there were mobile versions of web pages that the Pi would access by default; I think FF would work better. However, it's my (very loose and uncertain) understanding that where there is a mobile version, web pages serve up based on your monitor/display size, not your processor, vram, or other characteristics.

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »
Just finished going through and enjoying the tech.jpg thread. The most recent post is apropos to my comment about how the resources demanded by today's ad-bloated web have more than kept up with advances in processing power. Although it strikes me as hyperbole, the more general point is definitely on the mark.

personate-rain
personate-rain