Author Topic: Recommending a Windows Desktop PC for a Colleague  (Read 435 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Recommending a Windows Desktop PC for a Colleague
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »
I have been seeing 500 GB SSD for around $40

Sure, but I'm not building him a PC. I'm recommending a pre-built system.

I wouldn't think the upgrade option would be that much and give extra room for growth, just in case.
That said, I am on a Windows 10 Tablet (originally 8.1) right now with a 256 GB SSD and I don't have any real storage issues.
Movies are on on an external flash drive though.
I can't help that much because every desktop I have had, except hand-me-downs, I have built myself.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »
I have been seeing 500 GB SSD for around $40
Pure or hybrid?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 09:14:15 PM »
Amazon has a small Dell Inspiron 3470 with an i5 9400, 12GB RAM, 128GB SSD, and 1TB HDD.  The only problem is that comments say that Windows comes installed on the HDD instead of the SSD...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 10:25:05 PM »
Amazon has a small Dell Inspiron 3470 with an i5 9400, 12GB RAM, 128GB SSD, and 1TB HDD.  The only problem is that comments say that Windows comes installed on the HDD instead of the SSD...
*facepalm*
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 03:43:30 AM »
That way you'll be really surprised by how quickly your text documents load off of the SSD.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 06:40:48 AM »
Time for an upgrade.  :love:
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
I presented him some options with advantages and disadvantages, and he chose the Inspiron.  I’ll move the system over to the SSD for him. This system should last him years.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 09:43:29 AM »
Computers these days are way overpowered for what most people need, nearly any computer will get the job done.  The only rec I would make is get one with an SSD.  I might recommend a chromebook if you think they could handle that but sounds like Windows is what they are used to.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/256052/the-best-budget-laptops   nearly all the top recommended cheap PCS are chromebooks for a reason, on a per dollar basis, you get a better machine if you go chromebook
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »
Computers these days are way overpowered for what most people need, nearly any computer will get the job done.  The only rec I would make is get one with an SSD.  I might recommend a chromebook if you think they could handle that but sounds like Windows is what they are used to.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/256052/the-best-budget-laptops   nearly all the top recommended cheap PCS are chromebooks for a reason, on a per dollar basis, you get a better machine if you go chromebook

I agree with your assessment; his needs are relatively modest, and he was getting by with his previous machine. But he overpaid for that underspec’ed machine, in my opinion, and it did not last him as long as it should have. This new computer should last him much longer and He’s happy with the price.

I also agree with you about Chromebooks.  I’ve recommended them to several people, and we’re buying one for my wife’s use to replace my defunct old MacBook. My colleague actually has a ChromeBook, which he uses for entering attendance and grades and such in his classroom.  But he wants a Windows PC with Microsoft Word for his writing, etc.; as you say, it’s what he’s used to.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »
I don't like the idea of a Chromebook because I don;t want to depend on the Cloud.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain