Author Topic: The cloud  (Read 300 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
The cloud
« on: September 17, 2019, 03:10:25 PM »
I hate they term and my inner curmudgeon might be showing here but am not really a fan of the huge rush to the cloud. Yes there are advantages but disadvantages as well. Mainly loosing control and being locked in or dependent your cloud provider. Right now it's Amazon, Microsoft and google. There are not a lot of companies big enough compete in this space and as each grows it becomes harder to compete with these services. The big fear being once they get enough market share and competition is small and tight, they can do whatever they want, weather it be charge more or own your data.

I have had some training in Azure and while at Microsoft none of printed material matched the interface because they keep changing the interface on a weekly basis. Let that sink in for sec, at Microsoft training the training there could not keep up with all the changes Microsoft itself is making to the interface. Why would anyone want to put all your digit eggs into a thing that you so no control over? I know its probably cheaper than running your own data center but would think control would be worth more?  From my understanding Azure is getting a lot of government contracts and while AWS and google are getting more private sector. Government agency are more concerning to me, but above my pay grade to make the call. I suspect it will swing back at some point, and tech is always changing but think its a mistake that as many agency's are jumping into it. I know there is security... but once they go all in on the cloud it becomes harder and more expensive to go back build a new data center and hire people.

What do you all think about cloud services, weather it's for personal, private or government use?

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/certifications/microsoft/aws-vs-azure-vs-google-cloud-wars-2019

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: The cloud
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
There are many definitions of the 'cloud'; what do you include in yours?  Are you talking about software as a service? Cloud content provision for websites and web services? Cloud backup? Virtual private servers? Cloud music and photo storage?  Cloud sync for documents and bookmarks? Cloud-based E-mail and calendar services?

I have a VPS with Vultr that I use as a personal web, E-mail, backup and VPN server.  I configured it from a clean Ubuntu Server 18.04 install, and it's far more stable than anything I could ever attempt to implement myself.  I pay less than the cost of shared Web hosting for it, and I get complete control over it.

I use iCloud for E-mail, calendar, photos, to sync/backup my documents from my PC.

I use Crashplan to backup my computer.  It gives me unlimited incremental backups without the worry of having to roll a solution myself.  It's not cheap, but it's worth the peace of mind.

I use Lastpass to store my passwords.

I have an Apple Music account and have uploaded all my unmatched music.  I keep a backup of those files on a hard drive somewhere, but I'm all in on streaming.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
There's probably a lot of "cloud" stuff happening on my devices that I'm not aware of, but the two places I intentionally use "the cloud" are for documents that I want to be able to access from my computer, tablet, and phone; and Dropbox, which I use as a way of sharing my vacation pictures, and now local pictures. I can give friends and family a link that will take them to a list of folders, each with pictures from a different trip. The link does not change and I can add folders whenever I like. (Not sure if that's considered "cloud" since I'm just using it as a photo-sharing site.)

Music that I own is on my devices locally, but I use streaming services also for music. Is that "cloud"?

I think that "the cloud" is inevitable, because of the convenience. I also think it's inevitable that there will be problems. People hacking into other people's or the government's cloud accounts. Abuse by monopolist companies. Etc. I have no solutions to offer.

I agree that "the cloud" is a poor name for it. I have no better suggestions though.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
I have fully embraced the Cloud. The Apple Walled Garden is almost all up there now, and I now have five devices in that garden. Anything in there is accessible on any of those devices, taking into account technological limitations. I can't read an e-book on my watch, for example.

I use Dropbox for all the documents that I want or need to store, which aren't very many. I store no entertainment content - all my music, video and game content is now streamed, so I don't need to keep anything.

Cloud works fine. I have no need for anything else.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 09:35:16 PM »
I’ve looked at the cloud from both sides  now, up and down, but still, somehow, it’s cloud illusions I recall. I really don’t know the cloud at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
Great. Now I've got an earworm.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 08:29:00 AM »
I'm a control freak and I want nothing to with "The Cloud", a fancy euphemism for "some other guy's hard drive".

I maintain my own server for sharing data between devices and do my own backups.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
I love the cloud but I am all about redundant backups. I was recently locked out of my dropbox because of two factor issues, but had all the same data stored elsewhere.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
"The cloud is just someone else's computer" is a satisfyingly simple bon mot, but it is extremely reductionist and does a disservice to discourse about actually very important issues. The fact is that in many cases it is absolutely unnecessary, inefficient, and significantly less secure for a company or individual to create its own solutions for storing, serving, and backing up data than to rely on a company that specializes in doing so safely and securely. Sure, there are real concerns about protection and ownership of data, etc.; but there are also real, tangible benefits that should not be ignored.

Consider a small medical practice. Do you have any idea how much it would cost such a business to maintain its records and billing entirely on premises and ensure 99.9% uptime, HIPPA compliance, etc? What about making records available to patients through the web, as they now expect? Integrating with statewide medical re?cords databases?  Transmitting prescriptions securely? Billing 15 different insurance companies?

And at the even smaller scale, how many people do you think are actually capable of creating a secure personal cloud or even standard backup server?  What percentage could even create a secure web server for their personal web page?

Do we need to be concerned about what cloud companies are doing to protect our data and privacy?  Absolutely. But is the solution for everyone to deploy their own home server?  Hell no.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
I use several cloud based storage solutions personally. Adobe CC, Dropbox, Google, and a few others.  Icloud gets on my nerves, I never have the time to figure out how to tell my mac or phone how to stop telling me I don't have enough cloud space for my desktop. I don't use it nor do I want too.

In the film business we are usually not permitted to use anything listed above, we cant use services like "WeTransfer" (perhaps Adobe would be ok, its not on the "no no never" list)

Most productions use software from a payroll company that specialized in the film industry as well as some other specialized stuff. It a real pain in the ass for my job.

When dealing with private graphics companies we are all usually fine with Dropbox.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
Do we need to be concerned about what cloud companies are doing to protect our data and privacy?  Absolutely. But is the solution for everyone to deploy their own home server?  Hell no.

To be fair, Ron Obvious wasn't saying anything about what he thinks other people should do. He was saying that he doesn't use the cloud - his own opinion only. He certainly wasn't suggesting that everyone should deploy their own home server.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 06:00:12 PM »
There is no need to lose control. You control where your information goes.

I use multiple cloud services. Dropbox (3.5 GB), Google Drive, Google Photos (15 GB across all google services inc. Gmail), iCloud (5 GB)
I have a few more that I have stopped using but I still have an account with like Flickr, Box, SpiderOak and some I have forgotten I have.

I love the cloud for backup. I have all my documents go to Dropbox, so that if anything happens, Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid, I always have a copy saved.

For photos I use iCloud, Google Photos and Dropbox to save pictures I don't want to lose. Surely they all won't disappear.
I still want a copy on my computer (or external hard-drive). Just in case.

personate-rain
personate-rain