Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 1964 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
Yeah, the choice of micro HDMI is a disappointing one.  It increased functionality for those who need two monitors, but it made it harder and more expensive for those who don't to get started; almost everyone has an HDMI cable, but I had never even heard of micro HDMI before this.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »

I'm in the middle of a noobs install now for my first attempt. Ill try something more challenging after I mess around with this for a while. I'm already having issues. Either the crappy Walmart dongle is faulty or its putting out an improper resolution for the monitor or the board is faulty. After unplugging and trying both ports several times I managed to get a noobs install screen in a crappy resolution, not sure which one.

It seemed to go through its install just fine but after reboot I have go lights and a black screen again. I have been fiddling with it trying unplugging and changing ports as before but no luck this time.  I mite move to another room and try it on a TV, I want to believe its the Walmart piece of shit $19 dongle but maybe a different EDID signal will fix it.  The board did not come in an anti-static bag but the box seemed sealed. It mite have been a bad one or a return placed back on the shelf.  I don't want to drive to the other side of town today but may have too.

Before you assume it's the board issue, or even the dongle, you might want to try a straight Raspbian install. I'm not a fan of NOOBS, though that's how I started out. IIRC, for me the issue was the complication of updates. I was just using the bootloader to choose between LibreElec and Raspbian. Before long, I realized that I didn't have a need or desire for a media center, and would not likely use LibreElec. Granted, it was THE way to stream HD smoothly out of the Pi. But it still wasn't, for me, a practical solution to watching HD video, since LibreElec didn't offer any other desktop applications. I would almost always be searching and watching videos from the context of everyday desktop computer use, and I didn't want to have to reboot into another OS to switch back (say to writing a document, email, or whatever). I'd have just left it as-is, and just booted into Raspbian alone, but I think update/upgrade didn't work quite the same under NOOBS as straight Raspbian, and that messed me up or stalled me in some way. I can't recall exactly, but in the end, I ditched NOOBS and went to a Raspbian-only card.

Good luck.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »

I'm in the middle of a noobs install now for my first attempt. Ill try something more challenging after I mess around with this for a while. I'm already having issues. Either the crappy Walmart dongle is faulty or its putting out an improper resolution for the monitor or the board is faulty. After unplugging and trying both ports several times I managed to get a noobs install screen in a crappy resolution, not sure which one.

It seemed to go through its install just fine but after reboot I have go lights and a black screen again. I have been fiddling with it trying unplugging and changing ports as before but no luck this time.  I mite move to another room and try it on a TV, I want to believe its the Walmart piece of shit $19 dongle but maybe a different EDID signal will fix it.  The board did not come in an anti-static bag but the box seemed sealed. It mite have been a bad one or a return placed back on the shelf.  I don't want to drive to the other side of town today but may have too.

Before you assume it's the board issue, or even the dongle, you might want to try a straight Raspbian install. I'm not a fan of NOOBS, though that's how I started out. IIRC, for me the issue was the complication of updates. I was just using the bootloader to choose between LibreElec and Raspbian. Before long, I realized that I didn't have a need or desire for a media center, and would not likely use LibreElec. Granted, it was THE way to stream HD smoothly out of the Pi. But it still wasn't, for me, a practical solution to watching HD video, since LibreElec didn't offer any other desktop applications. I would almost always be searching and watching videos from the context of everyday desktop computer use, and I didn't want to have to reboot into another OS to switch back (say to writing a document, email, or whatever). I'd have just left it as-is, and just booted into Raspbian alone, but I think update/upgrade didn't work quite the same under NOOBS as straight Raspbian, and that messed me up or stalled me in some way. I can't recall exactly, but in the end, I ditched NOOBS and went to a Raspbian-only card.

Good luck.

Thank you

It turned out to be an EDID pass-through issue with the micro HDMI dongle I was using. I purchased another one and now have a 1080p signal. Unfortunately the dongle is too wide to allow 2 to be used at the same time, this is going to be an issue and I wish they had designed this differently. Microcenter had no cables just the dongles, they actually had a Monster brand that cost more than the basic Pi itself at $38 (fuck Monster) Best buy had a thin 4 ft cable rated for 1080p only at $45, no thanks. I just need to settle on Amazon Markertek or New egg I guess. I hate that, what if I need a cable asap for work? then i'm screwed.

Micro HDMI sucks

I did a quick video test but VLC still goes goes dark when going full screen. it might be trying to fullscreen to the second screen I don't have hooked up and I have not spent the time to investigate why yet. When I do have some time I will install raspbian without noobs as well as LibreElec and a few other things I want to test.

this guy managed to get video on two screens with his kiosk software.

https://community.infobeamer.com/t/raspberry-pi-4-release-and-info-beamer-information/565/12

It seems that right now the Pi4 software doesn’t allow hotplugging of displays. It sounds like the displays are only detected when the Pi boots. This might make reliable installations using dual displays difficult, if the screens are not guaranteed to be turned on when the Pi starts. If a screen is not detected at boot, info-beamer (and I’m pretty sure any other Pi based solution) won’t be able to detect the screen later once it gets turned on). As a result, I’m not yet sure how practical the dual screen mode will be. We’ll see.

Right now only GL content can be shown across dual screens. Videos of any kind won’t work as of now.

that last bit probably relates to my fullscreen issue with VLC

4K / H265 video playback proof of concept
This is another important milestone on using the Pi4’s full potential: My in-dev version of info-beamer pi can now play 4K videos encoded in the H265/HEVC format for the first time. As it’s getting integrated into the normal info-beamer video runtime, splitting a video like this across two screens also works:

Quick status update. The core video player component has been rewritten to be more generic. It can now decode H264 into GL textures, H264 into fullscreen over/underlays as well as HEVC (so 4K videos!) into over/underlays. See this screenshot:

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2019, 12:27:25 PM »
I hear you on the dongles - unfortunate that such things are needed when the right cable isn't easy to find. I thought that RPT was offering them at a pretty reasonable cost, but maybe their resellers aren't stocking them much (yet). IDK. I think they come in the all-in-one kits, but obviously some of us are going to want to buy them a la carte, say if we already have a keyboard/mouse to use - or don't want the case.

One potential good thing about the official dongles, besides the ability to use both ports, is that they might mitigate the torque often put on the board by a cable that doesn't happen to lay in exactly the right orientation to the port. This is especially a problem if the cable is thick or considered heavy duty. This can lead to the Pi not laying flat on whatever surface you have it sitting on. Like a shock absorber, the dongle might serve as a kind of "twist absorber" in such cases.

FWIW I have had good luck with Amazon Basics HDMI cables, but YMMV.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

personate-rain