Author Topic: "Boy, 6, ‘beheaded for being “wrong” Muslim’ pictured for first time"  (Read 846 times)

The Latinist and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Boy, 6, ‘beheaded for being “wrong” Muslim’ pictured for first time

A six-year-old boy who was allegedly beheaded while visiting a Mosque with his mother has been pictured for the first time.

Zakaria al-Jaber was attacked with a broken bottle while he visited a shrine of Prophet Muhammad in Medina, Saudi Arabia.

Witnesses said the little boy and his mother got out of a taxi and were approached by a man who asked them which sect of Islam they belonged to.

When they replied that they were Shia Muslim, the man left them but minutes later a car pulled up beside them.

One of the occupants got out and ripped Zakaria away and stabbed him in the neck with the glass, severing his head in the process.

Very vile indeed.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
I am skeptical, among  the other stories on that site is one about pimps putting metal in their penises to make rape more painful, for whom?

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
They severed his head by stabbing him in the neck with a broken bottle?

Something about this story doesn't seem credible. It's just a little too over the top.

I really hope I'm right.

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
per Wikipedia, take as you will.

Metro is a tabloid newspaper in the UK published by DMG Media.

In 2014 production of the newspaper and the website were separated. As a result, Metro newspaper and Metro Online are now produced by separate organisations and written independently by different editorial teams, while remaining part of the same parent company.

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
And we thought the Irish were nuts.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Well I'd hope it is not true. But Saudi Arabia is rather nasty to its Shia population.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I did a google search and I am not comfortable with any of the sources reporting it
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

I did a google search and I am not comfortable with any of the sources reporting it
Same, I won't deny it happened but I'm not convinced it did or did as reported.  Keep in mind, even if it did, may well have been some random loon.  Happens all the time in the US and West too. 

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Same, I won't deny it happened but I'm not convinced it did or did as reported.  Keep in mind, even if it did, may well have been some random loon.  Happens all the time in the US and West too.

That's a bit of a stretch I think.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page

In the US, killing for all the wall reasons is crazy common.

The thing is that I believe this could happen but we need to stick with what we can verify or at least come close.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Metro is a tabloid newspaper in the UK published by DMG Media.

In that context, 'tabloid' merely refers to a paper's page size, usually half that of broadsheet newspapers. Especially in North America the format has become associated with sensationalist news of questionable truth, which has led to the use of the word to mean 'sensationalist' or 'vulgar.' But the format is not inherently so, and I do not think that Wikipedia is using it with that meaning.

This is not to say that this particular tabloid is not sensationalist, merely that its printing format is not evidence of that fact.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Ah.hell

In the US, killing for all the wall reasons is crazy common.

The thing is that I believe this could happen but we need to stick with what we can verify or at least come close.
Not really, it was a bit of hyperbole.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
In Canada someone once walked on to a bus and decapitated someone with a knife.
Bottles arent knives but I can imagine it and I would rather not thanks.
You can find stories of gruesome child murders pretty much everywhere and they could well be motivated by local prejudices.

I dont doubt that this may have happened. I assume more reputable sources arent reporting on it because there is nothing here beyond a shock tacky news story (usually enough for tabloids) with the added bonus of feeding the biases of their audience who arent known to be great analytical thinkers.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I dont doubt that this may have happened. I assume more reputable sources arent reporting on it because there is nothing here beyond a shock tacky news story (usually enough for tabloids) with the added bonus of feeding the biases of their audience who arent known to be great analytical thinkers.

It is not a bias that Saudi Arabia is mistreating its Shia minority.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator

It is not a bias that Saudi Arabia is mistreating its Shia minority.
Nor that the US mistreats its native american minority and that they suffer violence at a great rate.
Im absolutely against the Saudi regime and their racist, sexist, homophobic and genocidal policies.  Im just offering a possible explanation as to why more reputable news sources are not reporting this story.

personate-rain