Author Topic: Name non-chemical-based things -or- What is a chemical?  (Read 220 times)

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Name non-chemical-based things -or- What is a chemical?
« on: February 12, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
I propose this as a working definition:

A chemical is that which can be described by a chemical formula.

Which means that atoms and molecules, elements and compounds, are all chemicals.

But now for the tricky part.  What is a thing?  and what kind of non-chemical-based things are there, if any?

I'm not sure of a good working definition of "thing", but I have a few candidates and/or questionables for non-chemical-based-things (NCBTs).

Most singular elementary particles would be NCDTs, as they have no chemical formula.  Electrons, neutrons, photons, etc.  I say most, because a singular proton can be considered an Hydrogen ion, H+, where the nucelus of a single proton has had the accompanying electron stripped away.

Light is made of photons = NCBT.
Electromagnetic Radiation = NCBT.

Alpha radiation is not, as that is emitted He nucelei, He2+.
Beta radiation = NCBT, emitting electrons or positrons.
Gamma radiation = EM radiation = NCBT.

Do we have names for aggregates of or effects from other elementary particles?

How about gravity, is that a thing, and thus a NCBT?  From the Higgs boson?

Is a vacuum a thing, and thus an NCBT?   Are we abstract enough to consider the null set an item?

Thoughts?   ???

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Name non-chemical-based things -or- What is a chemical?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:48:35 PM »
The term that you are trying to describe is 'Non-Baryonic Matter". The vast majority of our universe is composed of it.

As an example of a huge "thing" that it is not made of atoms, is a "Quark Star", or *strange star".
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:31:42 AM »
In the Venn Diagram of ThinginessTM, Non-Baryonic Matter defintitely covers a large portion, but that does not cover the entirety. 

A neutron is a Baryon, but with no chemical formula; it would be an NCBT by my definition.

Where do you stand on whether a vacuum is a thing?

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 03:33:18 AM »
And, if vacuum is a thing, is it proper to call it by the null set of chemical formualae, "", thus designating vacuum as a chemical?

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
poetry?

common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

personate-rain