Author Topic: Sad News. . .I think Opportunity died  (Read 567 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Sad News. . .I think Opportunity died
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:25:18 AM »
Just found out but thought I would post it
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47231247

She lasted a long time
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Sad News. . .I think Opportunity died
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
Elon can jump start it when he gets to Mars  ;)

I know I'll never see it, but it would be nice to see a future expedition retrieve all the old rovers and display them in a "Smithsonian on Mars"

We have definitely got your money's worth out of Opportunity  8)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:13:04 PM »
I thought I heard somewhere that it's been non-responsive for a long time - but the team only just declared it officially dead.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
Yep, they last had contact in June of last year, when a massive duststorm blocked the solar panels.

They were hoping to reestablish contact in October, when the dust storm abated, but they were never able to. They finally stopped trying yesterday.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 05:35:52 AM »

I know I'll never see it, but it would be nice to see a future expedition retrieve all the old rovers and display them in a "Smithsonian on Mars"

I wouldn't move it. Make it a kind of pilgrimage from landing to last motion. Stop along the way share interesting information about her trip to that point. Final resting place under a dome, so people won't rip parts off for souvenirs.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »

I wouldn't move it. Make it a kind of pilgrimage from landing to last motion. Stop along the way share interesting information about her trip to that point. Final resting place under a dome, so people won't rip parts off for souvenirs.

That would be a long and boring 45 km walk.  ;)

As amazing as everything Opportunity has done. By the time we could have tourist expeditions the actual science it has done will be old hat.
Taking nothing away from their contribution to science and knowledge of Mars, but a geologist with a hammer could do more in an hour than all the rovers combined have done since 1975.

Though you are right. Leaving at least one untouched where it finished up would be a poignant display.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 02:54:54 AM »

You'd have to dome the entire path to preserve it. Or dome everything but the path.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 08:18:26 AM »
I immediately thought about rewriting "The Day the Rover Died" but when I looked up the lyrics there are about 929 million words in the song, so nope.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:23:57 PM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 12:46:19 PM »
I immediately thought about rewriting "The Day the Rover Died" but when I looked up the lyrics there are about 929 million words in the song, so nope.

All the more reason to respect Weird Al

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »

You'd have to dome the entire path to preserve it. Or dome everything but the path.
I did say "put a dome over the rover"-ish. Still put "historical markers" at points of interest on her trail. Holographic recreation of "what it was like on Mars before the humans got here."
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 12:36:16 AM »
Those were the days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.