Poll

What is your opinion of Richard Dawkins and his influence?

Exclusively good.
0 (0%)
Mostly good, but some bad.
6 (42.9%)
Good and bad in about eqaul measures.
1 (7.1%)
Mostly bad, but some good.
3 (21.4%)
Exclusively bad.
1 (7.1%)
Other.
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: What is your opinion of Richard Dawkins and his influence?  (Read 389 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
What is your opinion of Richard Dawkins and his influence?
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:15:00 PM »
Richard Dawkins! A scientist, skeptic, and atheist known for being a strong proponent of the theory of evolution and science generally, and a fierce critic of creationism and pseudoscience generally. And who has in recent decades been more outspoken about his atheism and opposition to religious faith. Someone who has influenced lots of people when it comes to evolution and atheism through his many books and documentaries, but who has also made controversial statements on social media, which has resulted in some very strong critics and criticisms of him, far from only among religious people and believers of pseudoscience. He has certainly alienated some people who would in general be sympathetic to his views on science and religion.

What would be your overall assessment of the man as a voice and influence in society? Good or bad?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: What is your opinion of Richard Dawkins and his influence?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
He has certainly alienated some people who would in general be sympathetic to his views on science and religion.

ie. me.

If you had "indifferent" as an option that's what I would have picked.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 10:43:03 PM »
He has certainly alienated some people who would in general be sympathetic to his views on science and religion.

ie. me.

If you had "indifferent" as an option that's what I would have picked.

Yeah that's about where I stand on him.

Any positive opinions I had of him in the past, have been eroded by his asshattery

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:48:09 AM »
"The Selfish Gene" and "The Extended Phenotype" are required reading by some biology professors. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 03:02:41 AM »
85% good, 15% twitter.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
I voted other, because I don’t have an opinion of him. I am vaguely aware that he is a voice for evolution and atheism. And I think I read one of his books many years ago, and as there was nothing new in it for me, just thought, “Good. He’s saying the right things.” He had no influence on me because I was already (since the age of five) a strong and outspoken atheist. (At a very young age I would tell nuns “There’s no God.” Back then, you could identify nuns from their costume.) And as far back as I can remember I’ve known that evolution is how all living things came to be. Beyond that, I have no idea if or to what extent Dawkins has influenced others. I am also vaguely aware that he’s said some asshole things, though I don’t recall what. He’s not important enough to me for me to remember what those things were, or to bother looking them up.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »