Author Topic: An important essay on misogyny in the "rationalist" community  (Read 646 times)

Online fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
An important essay on misogyny in the "rationalist" community
« on: February 18, 2019, 12:23:53 AM »
I just read the essay "The magical thinking of guys who love logic" by Aisling McCrea. I think it makes some important points for any self-identified rationalists to consider.
https://theoutline.com/post/7083/the-magical-thinking-of-guys-who-love-logic
McCrea calls out the way that a lot of misogynists hide behind "logic" in order to justify bigotry. She uses Elevatorgate as an example.

A couple key quotes that made me take time for serious self-reflection:

"For men, especially insecure and socially dislocated men, the idea of 'rationality' can be a kind of comfort blanket."

"Calling your opinions and feelings 'rational,' as opposed to the 'irrational' opinions and feelings of others, is a shortcut to boosting your self-esteem. And it’s certainly not as though this tendency is unique to reactionaries; I think we’re all prone to this sometimes. The key is to recognize this for what it is — nothing more than a bias that we must overcome, in order to clearly identify how exactly we came to a viewpoint, and whether it truly holds up to scrutiny. This is important for any recent convert, whether it’s to the Intellectual Dark Web, or communism, or Crossfit. We must not mistake our imagined transfiguration from Regular Person to Omniscient Wizard for reality."

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: An important essay on misogyny in the "rationalist" community
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 04:03:46 PM »
Nice read.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 08:48:48 PM »
The logic/emotion false dichotomy is at its heart a misogynistic argument.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Skepmic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »
Holy moly! That website is a goldmine, thanks for posting.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:42:43 PM »
 Was gender really a necessary part in writing this article? I truly don't think this is the way to compel men to rethink their thinking. Maybe that isn't the point, though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:56:41 PM by Bill K »
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Online fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Was gender really a necessary part in writing this article? I truly don't think this is the way to compel men to rethink their thinking. Maybe that isn't the point, though.

The author is pointing out a tendency of a certain group of men to employ a dubious tactic in promoting misogynistic ideas. It seems like gender is an important part of that discussion. In order to help people rethink their position, you have to identify the problem, not just flatter them.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:15:28 PM »
The misogynist "rationalist" community (do they really call themselves that?) has co-opted some of the language of skepticism without paying attention to the overall message. Instead of employing critical thinking to reflect on their own views, they mimic the trappings of formal argumentation to bolster an attitude of self-righteousness. Overusing words like "logic" has convinced them that their thinking is logical, therefore their opinions are reasonable. We've all dealt with these types before. These are people prone to the "fallacy fallacy," who believe that pointing out a real or imagined flaw in somebody else's argument amounts to ipso facto validation of their own.

Was gender really a necessary part in writing this article? I truly don't think this is the way to compel men to rethink their thinking.

Wait, are you saying that all men think the same way and are compelled by the same influences? Isn't that rather misandrist?

The reason why gender is the central theme of the article, is because the article is about a particular misogynistic movement that promotes a false narrative about logic.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:33:45 AM by John Albert »

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 07:28:12 AM »

I don't know if anyone listens to the robert wright podcast but he's been having conversations along these lines with a couple of IDW types.

Namely suggesting IDW think they are non-tribal and unbiased - Christina Hoffman was included here so it's not just men. Sarah Haider just had a podcast with Julia Gailef as well which touched on this.

personate-rain