Author Topic: Two questions about Perry DeAngelis  (Read 994 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Two questions about Perry DeAngelis
« on: February 18, 2019, 02:06:09 PM »
I looked at this memorial website of Perry DeAngelis. Based on those photos, I have two questions:

1. From what I have heard, Perry never had children, but in one of the images, he is right beside a woman who has recently given birth. Is that not his wife? Just by looking at the image, I would assume it is his wife and newly born child.

2. In one of he photos, Perry is wearing a t-shirt with a Confederate flag. At least today, my impression is that the flag is associated with racism and slavery. Was it different back when the photo as taken, presumably in the 80s or 90s?

Anyways, a generally all-around great guy. He co-founded the New England Skeptical Society, and if Im not mistaken he came up with the name for the podcast, thereby he has influenced people all over the world long since he passed away.

In the comments, one person recalls:

I too was one of the people who knew Perry during the years he lived in southern California. Perry was 9 years older than me and had a huge influence over my already skeptical mind. As a teenager, I had always felt out of place because of my skeptisim, but Perry welcomed it. He mentored it. I too only recently learned of his passing, and wished that I had stayed in touch over the years. I’m thankful for his podcast show though. I’ve started listening to them and plan to go through them all. It’s wonderful to hear him again, just as I remembered. Witty and charming. He was one of the most interesting people I had the fortune to know.

What a positive influence that must have been.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Two questions about Perry DeAngelis
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »
I know nothing about Perry. I never heard any of the epidosed he was on. I comment only on the question above about the Confederate flag:

I was in high school in the early 1960's and at my school there were kids who flew the Confederate flag and who argued vehemently that slavery should be restored and that all black people in the country should be rounded up and auctioned into slavery. That flag was at that time a standard for the most vile forms of racism.

I doubt it has had any other connotations from then to now.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »
I really don't know much about Perry but I do know he was born and lived in New England, where the confederate flag was definitely not a thing people celebrated.

The shirt has the word demo on it, and there are cars with numbers in the background.  I suspect this was a dukes of hazard reference.

from wikipedia
For several years in his late teens he competed in the local demolition derby, creating a persona called Dr. Demo.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:46:44 PM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
It's possible to be a father without being married. *points at self* It's also possible to be in a relationship with a mother, without being married to her or being the father of her child.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:28:21 AM »
1. From what I have heard, Perry never had children, but in one of the images, he is right beside a woman who has recently given birth. Is that not his wife? Just by looking at the image, I would assume it is his wife and newly born child.

His obituary mentions no children.

DEANGELIS Perry J. DeAngelis, age 43, of Fairfield, beloved husband of Terry Wegener DeAngelis, passed away Sunday, August 19, 2007 at Yale New Haven Hospital. Born in Bridgeport, he was the son of Lawrence and Marie Cook DeAngelis of Easton and had resided in Fairfield for 20 years. Perry graduated from Joel Barlow High School and attended NYU. He was a property manager for 149 Deerfield St. LLC. He was co-founder of the New England Skeptical Society and was an avid gamer. In addition to his wife and parents, he is survived by his brother, Derald DeAngelis of Easton, his two sisters, Marie McCright of Ansonia, and Celeste Unfried of Monroe, and two nieces.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/CTPost/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=93081028

It does mention 2 sisters and 2 nieces. It may be a proud brother meeting his new niece in the picture. (Possibly)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 03:09:57 PM »
It's possible to be a father without being married. *points at self* It's also possible to be in a relationship with a mother, without being married to her or being the father of her child.

Absolutely. But Perry was known to have been married to a Jehovah's Witness, and I think in the US it is pretty rare to give birth to a child as an unmarried couple.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »

His obituary mentions no children.

DEANGELIS Perry J. DeAngelis, age 43, of Fairfield, beloved husband of Terry Wegener DeAngelis, passed away Sunday, August 19, 2007 at Yale New Haven Hospital. Born in Bridgeport, he was the son of Lawrence and Marie Cook DeAngelis of Easton and had resided in Fairfield for 20 years. Perry graduated from Joel Barlow High School and attended NYU. He was a property manager for 149 Deerfield St. LLC. He was co-founder of the New England Skeptical Society and was an avid gamer. In addition to his wife and parents, he is survived by his brother, Derald DeAngelis of Easton, his two sisters, Marie McCright of Ansonia, and Celeste Unfried of Monroe, and two nieces.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/CTPost/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=93081028

It does mention 2 sisters and 2 nieces. It may be a proud brother meeting his new niece in the picture. (Possibly)

Yeah, could very well be.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
I really don't know much about Perry but I do know he was born and lived in New England, where the confederate flag was definitely not a thing people celebrated.

The shirt has the word demo on it, and there are cars with numbers in the background.  I suspect this was a dukes of hazard reference.

from wikipedia
For several years in his late teens he competed in the local demolition derby, creating a persona called Dr. Demo.

I don't really know what that means, but if the memorial page decides to show him with that t-shirt, I thought it wouldn't be too controversial in that context.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
In one of he photos, Perry is wearing a t-shirt with a Confederate flag. At least today, my impression is that the flag is associated with racism and slavery. Was it different back when the photo as taken, presumably in the 80s or 90s?

Lots of attitudes have changed in this country since the 1980s and '90s. Some apparently haven't changed as much as we'd like to think.

There's no doubt that many African Americans in the 1980s regarded that flag as an emblem of slavery, Jim Crow and even racial violence. But at the same time, other, mostly white communities associated it with somewhat less divisive messages like "Southern Pride" and a general rebellious attitude. That's the spirit in which it was worn by many bikers and in the motor sport community. Many political conservatives in the 1980s used to flat-out deny that it had anything to do with slavery, and in some circles it was considered a "fuck you" to liberals. I've always found that position extremely disingenuous.

I don't know nearly enough about Perry as a person, to feel comfortable venturing a guess as to his motives.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • Fear & Loathing.
    • Me.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »

Absolutely. But Perry was known to have been married to a Jehovah's Witness, and I think in the US it is pretty rare to give birth to a child as an unmarried couple.

I'd like to hear the story behind that. It's amazing to find that some listeners never heard Perry, even. He and Rebecca were comedy gold the first few years there.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:00:50 PM by Bill K »
"We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »

Not that rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »

Not that rare.

40% of US births are to unmarried mothers, so not that rare.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »

Not that rare.

40% of US births are to unmarried mothers, so not that rare.

And the question is how many of them are in couples, and it's just not that rare. At least not here in the People's Republic of Southern California.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »
Perry lived in New England, not California.

What is the point of all this speculation about children out of wedlock? Is there any evidence besides some random photograph with no context?

Maybe the mother and baby were friends or relatives. Who knows?

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 09:44:13 AM »

from wikipedia

I don't really know what that means, but if the memorial page decides to show him with that t-shirt, I thought it wouldn't be too controversial in that context.

The Dukes of Hazard was a popular TV show with a lot of car chase sequences involving a car called the General Lee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Lee_(car)
Being that Perry was from New England which is about as far from a confederate state as you can be both literally and figuratively, and being that the shirt was for a demolition derby...I think it's pretty likely this was just a reference to the car.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.