Author Topic: Two questions about Perry DeAngelis  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Two questions about Perry DeAngelis
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
Perry lived in New England, not California.

What is the point of all this speculation about children out of wedlock? Is there any evidence besides some random photograph with no context?

Maybe the mother and baby were friends or relatives. Who knows?

Boy, no kidding. Perry with a baby. Let's break it down.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 01:50:42 PM »
I really don't know much about Perry but I do know he was born and lived in New England, where the confederate flag was definitely not a thing people celebrated.

The shirt has the word demo on it, and there are cars with numbers in the background.  I suspect this was a dukes of hazard reference.

from wikipedia
For several years in his late teens he competed in the local demolition derby, creating a persona called Dr. Demo.

I don't really know what that means, but if the memorial page decides to show him with that t-shirt, I thought it wouldn't be too controversial in that context.

The Dukes of Hazard was a popular TV show with a lot of car chase sequences involving a car called the General Lee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Lee_(car)
Being that Perry was from New England which is about as far from a confederate state as you can be both literally and figuratively, and being that the shirt was for a demolition derby...I think it's pretty likely this was just a reference to the car.

It was a huge hit in Australia too and t-shirts and tops with confederate flags were sold and worn here where we have no history of that flag.

Annoyingly cars fitted with the General Lee's car horn also became popular because of the show.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 01:55:18 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 01:51:54 PM »
It's possible to be a father without being married. *points at self* It's also possible to be in a relationship with a mother, without being married to her or being the father of her child.

Absolutely. But Perry was known to have been married to a Jehovah's Witness, and I think in the US it is pretty rare to give birth to a child as an unmarried couple.
Not that rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40% of US births are to unmarried mothers, so not that rare.

Oh, I had the impression that it was much rarer. Always happy to be corrected on a misconception.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
I really don't know much about Perry but I do know he was born and lived in New England, where the confederate flag was definitely not a thing people celebrated.

The shirt has the word demo on it, and there are cars with numbers in the background.  I suspect this was a dukes of hazard reference.

from wikipedia
For several years in his late teens he competed in the local demolition derby, creating a persona called Dr. Demo.

I don't really know what that means, but if the memorial page decides to show him with that t-shirt, I thought it wouldn't be too controversial in that context.

The Dukes of Hazard was a popular TV show with a lot of car chase sequences involving a car called the General Lee
Being that Perry was from New England which is about as far from a confederate state as you can be both literally and figuratively, and being that the shirt was for a demolition derby...I think it's pretty likely this was just a reference to the car.

Speaking of being far away from confederate states, I went to several demolition derbies while growing up in Idaho. There were probably more confederate flags worked into the cars than American ones. If I remember correctly, there was usually at least one car made up to look like the General Lee. If someone told me that photo of Perry was taken at an Idaho derby in 1995, I would buy it.

For those who've never heard Perry on the show, I HIGHLY recommend starting from the beginning (as I did in another thread here), those early episodes are outstanding. Perry's political outlook brought some interesting discussions to the show, namely his stance on global warming. That alone is reason enough to start over at episode 1.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 01:33:41 PM »

from wikipedia

Speaking of being far away from confederate states, I went to several demolition derbies while growing up in Idaho. There were probably more confederate flags worked into the cars than American ones. If I remember correctly, there was usually at least one car made up to look like the General Lee. If someone told me that photo of Perry was taken at an Idaho derby in 1995, I would buy it.

For those who've never heard Perry on the show, I HIGHLY recommend starting from the beginning (as I did in another thread here), those early episodes are outstanding. Perry's political outlook brought some interesting discussions to the show, namely his stance on global warming. That alone is reason enough to start over at episode 1.

Much of Perry's outlook on climate change would be considered denialism, now and even then. I recall satellite data being put forth on the podcast and him outright saying he couldn't, and wouldn't, believe it. I feel that brazenness, along with his comedic chops and inherent common sense set him apart in a big way on the podcast.

I'll have to go back and listen to some of those episodes. Truly, any fan of the SGU present should go back and listen to the beginning of it all. The beginning episodes were akin to what you might listen to now as BHTS content. You can certainly see the evolution of the podcast and the rogues. A much less restricted conversation. Rebecca before Elevatorgate.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:44:23 PM by Bill K »
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »
I recall Steve in some interview stating that he was unsure if Perry would have endorsed Trump or not, had he been alive today.

I have listened to quite a few of the early episodes. I think I am at about #70 now. I think they are a mixed bag. Some are very good, others not so much, but I agree that the experience as a whole is rewarding. A lot of them are about news items a decade old, so of course that has an effect. I wonder what I would think if I listened to them back in 2006 when they were fresh new.

And yes, it certainly shows that this is Rebecca before Elevatorgate (they laugh in a friendly way to semi-serious marriage proposals, for example). It will be interesting to see how it evolves over time, when I get there. I plan to listen up to epsidoe #500, since it was around then that I made a commitment to listen to each new episode (I still listen to each new episode that is released, it's part of my routine). Though it may take me a few years to get there, because my "schedule" for listening to old SGU episodes is patchy and irregular.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 03:51:23 PM »
I recall Steve in some interview stating that he was unsure if Perry would have endorsed Trump or not, had he been alive today.

I have listened to quite a few of the early episodes. I think I am at about #70 now. I think they are a mixed bag. Some are very good, others not so much, but I agree that the experience as a whole is rewarding. A lot of them are about news items a decade old, so of course that has an effect. I wonder what I would think if I listened to them back in 2006 when they were fresh new.

And yes, it certainly shows that this is Rebecca before Elevatorgate (they laugh in a friendly way to semi-serious marriage proposals, for example). It will be interesting to see how it evolves over time, when I get there. I plan to listen up to epsidoe #500, since it was around then that I made a commitment to listen to each new episode (I still listen to each new episode that is released, it's part of my routine). Though it may take me a few years to get there, because my "schedule" for listening to old SGU episodes is patchy and irregular.

It's taken me almost 3 years to get up to #235, though the frequency at which I listen varies wildly. Just this morning I had to go back and re-listen to #13 as I greatly enjoy hearing 9/11 debunking from that time-period. The other week I re-listened to episode #33 in which Rebecca makes her first appearance as a guest, then the one a few weeks later when they brought her on full-time. The old shows are so good.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 06:39:58 PM »
I liked it when the segments were more random and less planned. New shows are fine but it lost some of its (undefined) charm.

I am up to #31 on my third pass and they are great.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 07:35:37 PM »
the first year of the show was a really fucking weird year in my life and that podcast became super meaningful to me...when things settled down it was less so but for that year or so bunch really felt like family.
it seems crazy to say that but I suspect I am not the only one.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

personate-rain
personate-rain