Author Topic: Gingivitis Causes Alzheimer's?  (Read 611 times)

Offline TheOnlyMerlin

• Brand New
  • Benevolence and truth
Gingivitis Causes Alzheimer's?
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:02:40 AM »
I heard what seemed to be big news 2-3 weeks ago: that "the gum disease known as GINGIVITIS" may be a significant contributor to Alzheimer's. If true, this seems to be potentially huge news with some pretty big implications. It also rings of possible exaggeration and motivated reasoning.

I hadn't gotten around to diving into it more, and assumed I would get the skinny on the next SGU episode (it seemed so very up the alley of the SGU), and then the next one.

So, does this look legit?

So far my distance summary is that it is looking solid to be a contributor, but the picture is still a bit hazy. However, just to be safe, it would probably not hurt you if you decided to go out of your way to clear up your gum disease as best you can. But this is a very superficial take that is mostly working off of heuristics.

Alzheimers is a major issue in my family and I would like to be able to talk with some clarity on this subject to family members. The phrase "Gingivitis causes Alzheimer's" seems very important to affirm, refute, or bring nuance to.

Reporting:
Articles I found:
"Should" is always a matter of priorities and realities.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Gingivitis Causes Alzheimer's?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »
I don't believe it.

BUT, gingivitis is a serious disease that can cause you to lose your teeth. This is a case of, the proposition is probably nonsense, but the recommendation, to keep your gums healthy, is solid. So if I'm wrong, and you keep your gums healthy, all the better.

Brush, floss, and see your dentist regularly.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 10:04:54 PM »
I think it’s entirely plausible.  It’s been suggested that many chronic diseases, such as dementia, are associated with a state of chronic inflammation (with inflammation being ‘dialed up’ generally).  And such a state can be produced by other factors, such as being sedentary.  Or diet.  Or having localised inflammation, such as gingivitis.

Proving it would be difficult.  And as Daniel has noted, avoiding it has other benefits.  Possibly avoiding dementia would be an added benefit if true.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 10:20:09 PM »
I’m suspecting this is another thread started by a dental spammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 11:38:46 PM »

Did you read the paper in Science Advances on which (eventually) this thread is based?  Surprisingly, it’s not behind a paywall.  The authors claim to have found the antigens and actual bacterium commonly causing gingivitis in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients. 

I can’t see a declaration of interest declaration.  I suppose I can’t exclude that the authors might be in the pocket of Big Tooth.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
I’m just referring to this thread.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 12:26:05 AM »
I’m just referring to this thread.

I realize that.  But it’s based on an interesting and very current paper, which is the way interesting discussions often start.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 12:47:17 AM »
I’m sure that’s true. I’m out

Offline TheOnlyMerlin

• Brand New
  • Benevolence and truth
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »

That's a new one for me. It's more like I am both kind of lazy and also am lacking in a great deal of expertise and was hoping to get discussion going, so I can observe and learn.

Side note: Are "dental spammers" a significant concern in these forums?  Seems likely a strangely specific problem.
"Should" is always a matter of priorities and realities.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 03:08:32 AM »
Some just popped up yesterday with their first or second post with dental spam and got banned. So, yes quite specific.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 06:45:39 AM »
Some just popped up yesterday with their first or second post with dental spam and got banned. So, yes quite specific.

Which thread was this?  It might be amusing to read.  I thought it was a play on Big Tooth.

Offline CarbShark

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 03:58:45 AM »
Gum disease is associated with coronary disease through inflammation.  I would be surprised if the correlation with dementia wasn't evident.  Dementia is certainly correlated with obesity and diabetes, both causes of inflammation.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 09:32:58 PM »
BUT, gingivitis is a serious disease that can cause you to lose your teeth. This is a case of, the proposition is probably nonsense, but the recommendation, to keep your gums healthy, is solid. So if I'm wrong, and you keep your gums healthy, all the better.

Brush, floss, and see your dentist regularly.

Excessive plaque and gingivitis have also been linked to potentially life-threatening blood clots.