Author Topic: Is man made climate change real?  (Read 397 times)

Offline leet8845

• Brand New
Is man made climate change real?
« on: February 25, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »
I'm a big fan of the show and I often hear the folks discussing man made climate change and how the evidence is very strong.

I'm having a debate on forum after someone posted a video from a denier and I said he was a 'crank'. I not qualified to really represent the side of what I thought was the scientific consensus. I asked them to post some credible evidence that climate change is not caused my man and he has posted this video from Dr. Judith Curry is Professor and former Chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology:

Also this:
Here is the thread (it does drag but I thought I would link to it if you're interested but not needed): https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.php?107448-Friends-of-Science-video

First video that was posted:
I'm 'leet8845' btw on the forum (any pointers for my debating skills?)

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: Is man made climate change real?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »
cherry picking the 3%

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline leet8845

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »
I already pointed out that 97% of climate scientists support the theory. It's a losing battle. I'll just let them believe in the 3% and other cranks.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »
Anti-AGW thinking sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
I hope someone here has enough science chops and free time to answer your question in more detail, or that there's already a resource out there on the interwebz that already does it.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline leet8845

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
Thanks guys, we've pretty much agreed to disagree at this point. I guess "The backfire effect" that was talked about on last weeks episode is very real.

Offline leet8845

• Brand New
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »
Also, there are plenty of resources out there but it was just falling on deaf ears and sadly they give more credence to the YouTube videos from the 3% than anything else I can show them.

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »
It can never be 100% but if you went to 10 doctors and 9 said you have cancer, do they have your attention? They would have mine.

Offline Oh Henry

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »
It can never be 100% but if you went to 10 doctors and 9 said you have cancer, do they have your attention? They would have mine.

Unless you were motivated otherwise. 
Maybe the cost of treatment is beyond your means, so its easier to convince yourself that you dont need treatment because you dont have cancer.
Maybe your identity is entirely wrapped up in being some paragon for healthy living, so its easier to tell yourself, family and friends you dont have cancer.
Maybe you go to church with the one doctor who told you to take two aspirin, while you suspect the other nine are <whisper>jewish</whisper>.

None of these things indicate the truth of the matter, but they do (naturally, but unfortunately) influence a person's loyalty to the truth.  For logic/evidence/reason to win, you need to disarm the threat that logic/evidence/reason implies. Sometimes that's just not possible.
"My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing." ~ Aldous Huxley

personate-rain